Black Diamond Blasting Grit?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Pennsylvania

Old 02-05-2012, 06:32 PM   #1
KingPlakat
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (19/100%)

Black Diamond Blasting Grit?

Anyone in the philly area able to find this stuff? I haven't exactly went out searching for it, but I've been checking websites and stuff of local companies and no one seems to have it. If someone finds this or something like it, I would appreciate if you could tell me where to buy some next time I'm in the philly area.

Heck, even those of you from the lancaster area could let me know because I make the trip to Thatfishplace once a month.

Thanks!
KingPlakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2012, 07:07 PM   #2
jersysman
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to jersysman

Look for any Tractor Supply stores. That's where I got mine from. I live in Coatesville, so we have one in Parkesburg, which is about a 10-minute drive. I'd go to their web site and just locate a store closer.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:49 PM   #3
KingPlakat
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
Look for any Tractor Supply stores. That's where I got mine from. I live in Coatesville, so we have one in Parkesburg, which is about a 10-minute drive. I'd go to their web site and just locate a store closer.
Nice find! Thanks. That's about 30 minutes from West Chester where I'm at now. I'll have to make a double trip and visit the angelfish hatchery in parkesburg while I'm there.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:41 PM   #4
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

never thought of tractor supply. but then again, why would i? i live in the urban jungle...lol that's great to know because i wanted to use this on a big tank, all the prepared substrates would cost a fortune for a big tank. thanks jersy!
Fishies_in_Philly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:48 PM   #5
Obakemono
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

I have a 50lb bag ready to go for my 20 long, and I have a bit in my pico cylinder. Nice stuff IMO. I looked at it and it seems to be made of dark green and black glass. Cheap stuff for substrate.
Obakemono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:55 PM   #6
KingPlakat
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishies_in_Philly View Post
never thought of tractor supply. but then again, why would i? i live in the urban jungle...lol that's great to know because i wanted to use this on a big tank, all the prepared substrates would cost a fortune for a big tank. thanks jersy!
Yea it would def cost a small fortune for anything nice as a substrate. I'm prolly gonna buy like 3 or 4 bags just to have around for future setups. I'm pondering the idea of settling up a 75 gallon dirted tank. I mainly want this stuff for a 55 gallon anubias only setup.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:38 AM   #7
kjnguy3nn
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I just picked up 3 bags for my 125g from the tractor supply store in parksburg u guys are talking about. It was like $8 for a 50 lb bag. Then I went to homedepot and got a bag or organic soil to lay down before the black diamond. outcome looks real good
kjnguy3nn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:18 PM   #8
joon
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to joon

sounds interesting

no harmful for fish at all?
joon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:31 PM   #9
moonwasaloon
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joon View Post
sounds interesting

no harmful for fish at all?

Joon, people use it over sand a lot. Check out the Substrate part of the forum.
moonwasaloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 02:44 AM   #10
Beer
Planted Tank Obsessed

Just make sure you pay attention to what grit you get. The one I got mine from had everything labeled as fine, and whom ever marked the bags at the factory put a check mark thru two of the boxes. I ended up grabbing the super fine stuff that is like fine salt. I think I lost more than half of what I rinsed, it washed right out.
I ended up grabbing 20/40 as well. I think the first time I was there, they only had the super fine. some always spills out of the bag, so it's easy enough to compare the grains to see what you like better.
The 20/40 is slightly smaller than #1 filter sand. It is a little easier to deal with.
Altho, with a smaller tank and shrimp, I kind of like the smaller grain. Not sure which will hold the ground features in the tank better over the long run. I think that would be more of a determining factor for me.
Beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:02 AM   #11
Warlock
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

i got mine from Northern Tool and Equipment..

but BEER.. i have two bags.. but i will need to check the size.. yikes.. i did not know about the super fine..
Warlock is offline   Reply With Quote