57 Gallon Tank (Learning from my first planted tank) - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 02-22-2012, 09:11 PM   #16
sundragon
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangelss View Post
I love South American cihlids so I'm bias. Red Arc Pencilfish are very striking but a little delicate. The same with Rummy Nose Tetras but they make for a beautiful display.
The Red Arc Pencilfish looks beautiful! *edit* I just did a little research and they look like a lot of work
sundragon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2012, 10:45 PM   #17
sundragon
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangelss View Post
That is a very nice set-up! I like the rimless look and like you found a great deal on craigslist for one. Good luck, everything looks well on its way. What in-line diffusor are you using?
I'm using an Atomic inline diffuser from GLA - it's small and works pretty well thus far.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:57 PM   #18
LetThereBeFish
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Sweet tank! Very simple/clean looking. Fish stocking wise, I would add some more cories. They love being in groups.
LetThereBeFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2012, 03:25 AM   #19
The Gipper
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Where did u get the light hanger
The Gipper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2012, 01:09 PM   #20
sundragon
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetThereBeFish View Post
Sweet tank! Very simple/clean looking. Fish stocking wise, I would add some more cories. They love being in groups.
Thanks! I am resisting turning it into a circus show of plants and fish I have two and the previous tank wasn't big enough for more. I can probably get 2 more and 2-3 more oto cats. I'm waiting for the water conditions to get stable and a little algae to appear - no starving fish
Old 02-23-2012, 01:17 PM   #21
sundragon
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gipper View Post
Where did u get the light hanger
I purchased it through Petstore.com/Marinedepot.com - Their customer support treated me well - They messed up and thought they didn't ship it on time so I got a call with an explanation and they next day air'd me another hanger at no charge. I got the first one yesterday, lol. I got a return UPS label and I'm sending it back.

It's designed to hold up to 25lbs per hanger so 50lbs for two. Very adjustable and it's painted a nice black powder coat. Here's the link for it's specs
Old 02-23-2012, 01:26 PM   #22
sundragon
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Update: Day 3

Happy Thursday!

Tested the water:
pH:6.4
NO2: .25 ppm
NO3: between 40 and 50 ppm
Did a 20% water change
Retested and:
pH: 6.6
NO2: 0-.25 ppm
NO3: 20-30 ppm

Fed the hungry buggers - once I see no NO2 and a stable NO3, I'll remove the old Aquaclear and consider adding more fish. I'm glad the Hydor is doing it's job keeping the water at a steady 80 degrees.

I'm gonna try to head to the GWAPA meeting this weekend and see if I can get more hairgrass - I inquired about my order for extra hairgrass and apparently they are back ordered. I asked for HC or nothing.

Do you think glosso or HC would look better with hairgrass?

I'm just not sure I want the maintenance and I've read glosso is a pain in the a** to grow even with high light and CO2
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2512.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	42607  

Last edited by sundragon; 02-23-2012 at 08:14 PM..
Old 02-23-2012, 02:37 PM   #23
bighollywood
Planted Member

PTrader: (20/100%)

I love that angel.
bighollywood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2012, 02:39 PM   #24
sundragon
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks I got her from a LFS about 2 years ago.

He has a breeder that makes them bright orange. His Angel tank is full of them.
Let me know if you want his deets in PM. You can purchase some.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:13 PM   #25
sundragon
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm seriously considering Discus. Saw a Pigeon Blood on Youtube and fell in love. I contacted an online retailer and started asking requirements and compatibility etc.

I just can't do the daily water changes and he said once a week is okay since I'm not breeding them.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:38 PM   #26
sundragon
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Update: Day 4

TGIF!

Tested the water:
pH:6.4
NH4/3: 0 ppm
NO2: 0 ppm
NO3: between 20-30 ppm
Did a 20% water change

It's cycled!

I have had a bad experience ordering plants online. The plants are nothing special: dwarf hair grass, and red tiger lotuses. One delivery arrived with 2 dead lotuses and one with a single leaf. I have planted that with hope. Another place I ordered from last Friday with the knowledge that it was all in stock and gonna ship next day on Tuesday. Didin't hear a peep so I emailed them for more information on Wednesday evening and got excuses about needing special instructions for no reason and- the hairgrass is backordered for two weeks...

Le sigh...

On the bright side - I ordered some Christmas moss through Aquabid and it arrived on time and looking beautiful - tied some to the driftwood while doing the water change. Can't wait to see how that develops!

But I've done some research on Discus and I think I will be purchasing a few soon. Just trying to decide on which types the Pigeon blood/dragon's are really sweet looking fish.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:07 PM   #27
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

SunDragon your tank looks nice and your fish look happy with more room to play but keep checking those nitrates and ammonia you might not be done.

We have a plant group with members all around you and we are having a meeting in Catonsville tomorrow, click the GWAPA logo below and check the website for the February meeting. You are welcome to come at any time but you need to be a member ($20) to get in on the auction, bags & bags of plants for 1,2,3 bucks each, occasionally a bag o shrimp, fish, tanks, filter, etc. plus we do group buys and best of all we eat like pigs and it's usually a great layout of food. I read that you have no car so I know that makes it harder but bring a friend (driver) it's no problem, click below and check us out or sent me a pm if you have any questions.

Keep up the good work on your tank.
150EH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2012, 08:21 PM   #28
sundragon
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150EH View Post
SunDragon your tank looks nice and your fish look happy with more room to play but keep checking those nitrates and ammonia you might not be done.

We have a plant group with members all around you and we are having a meeting in Catonsville tomorrow, click the GWAPA logo below and check the website for the February meeting. You are welcome to come at any time but you need to be a member ($20) to get in on the auction, bags & bags of plants for 1,2,3 bucks each, occasionally a bag o shrimp, fish, tanks, filter, etc. plus we do group buys and best of all we eat like pigs and it's usually a great layout of food. I read that you have no car so I know that makes it harder but bring a friend (driver) it's no problem, click below and check us out or sent me a pm if you have any questions.

Keep up the good work on your tank.
Hey 150EH

Thanks for the advice - I will keep doing that daily for about another week to make sure things stabilize.

I'm already a member - Renewed my dues last week.
I'm planning on renting a zip car for a few hours and coming up to Catonsville tomorrow. I'm gonna bring a light and 18" Amazon sword that needs a home. I also have an Eheim Pro II 2028 that needs a new home as well. I'll bring that along and see if anyone wants it.

Would it be okay to ask members on the GWAPA forum to see if they have dwarf hair grass and Red tiger lotuses, and are planning to bring them to the meeting?
Old 02-24-2012, 08:29 PM   #29
orangelss
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Three breeders that I have ordered from and really have extreamly high quality fish and excellent shipping is
Macs Discus: http://macsdiscus.com/
Discus Madness: http://www.discusmadness.com/
Rocky Mountain Discus: http://www.rockymountaindiscus.com/

The first two have huge selections of colors and sizs. Discus Madness has very good color pictures. I have had fish shipped from all three several times. Great customer service and first rate fish!
orangelss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2012, 08:36 PM   #30
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

People ask all the time and it's a good idea to ask in the water flea market and you want to check your light with the new PAR meter, I was wondering about the dead Eheim as they are too good and expensive to throw out and can be fixed somehow.

I sold a 2215 that I owned and used everyday for 7 years, I had just put in a new 2217 impeller and a new gasket for the motor head and I got $35 for it but they will ask if you have a minimum but I didn't. But I used it for 4 or 5 months after I installed the new parts so I feel like it was a good deal all the way around and it will last the new owner for another 7 years.

Well too cool that your already a member and I'll see you at the meeting.
150EH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.