Whiskey/Rain Barrel Ponds
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Ponds

Old 02-20-2012, 09:20 PM   #1
xenxes
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)

Whiskey/Rain Barrel Ponds

Wish these weren't $100. Any idea where I can find some old barrels for cheap (junkyard)? They look great.

Last edited by xenxes; 02-21-2012 at 10:50 PM..
xenxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2012, 08:37 PM   #2
menoseloso
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

are there any wine making companies around your area? you can ask im sure they can toss a few broken or low grade barrels your way. you can try flea markets.
menoseloso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:27 PM   #3
xenxes
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)

Called the nearby wineries. I'm thinking I don't want an actual wine barrel. Too much tannins inside and I'd have to use a liner or risk poisoning the fauna.

Home Depot has these for $30 made from fiberglass, but there is a drainage hole in the bottom. The faux ones are cheaper and lighter. I'll keep looking, an oversized planter will also do the trick.
xenxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 03:44 PM   #4
menoseloso
Algae Grower

keep looking im sure you'll find something that will suit your taste.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:22 PM   #5
allegoriest
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to allegoriest

*late*

I got one at Lowe's a while back that was smaller than a whiskey barrel, but didn't have holes in the bottom. I think it was about $25. Of course, I have to have a cage around mine, cause birds were eating my fishies and plants. D: I just have a basic pond sprayer pump that makes a little bell of water on top in the middle.
allegoriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:46 AM   #6
moonshinetheslacker
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

You have a couple options, both somewhat DIY related. You could pick up a fiberglass barrel from lowes, and patch the hole. They probably have some sort of old school sink plug that will fit the hole (think rubber bathtub plug, with a rusty chain attached, in your grandmothers claw footed tub) If they don't have a plug that will fit, you can fabricate one with a little duct tape and silcone.

If you don't want to mess with a pond liner to go into a "real" wine barrel, then you can coat the inside with waterproof two part epoxy. No tannins. Period. Just look up a how to on building a plywood aquarium. There are various how-tos on youtube for that sort of thing, that will show you the process of epoxy coating wood.

Hope this helps!
Fraternity of dirt #32 I'm dirty
UGLY TANK
DIY Asian themed aquarium stand
moonshinetheslacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 12:39 PM   #7
menoseloso
Algae Grower

thats true but i think he has a budget and the two part epoxy will take him over budget aside from the pond/tank
Old 03-18-2012, 01:44 AM   #8
nwilso20
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenxes View Post

Could anyone identify the plants in these? I'm trying to come up with a planting list for a barrel.
nwilso20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:54 AM   #9
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

I was at Home Depot Friday saw them for $29
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 02:20 AM   #10
nwilso20
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
I was at Home Depot Friday saw them for $29
Ya, I just left there, They have the real wood ones for $29, and the fiberglass ones were marked down to $19.

When I saw them I remembered this thread! Now I need to figure out a planting list so I can get started on one.

I was thinking about just using black plastic to line the barrel, then using miracle grow potting soil with a gravel cap.

Now I just need to figure out the plants!
nwilso20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 02:25 AM   #11
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

I went back and bought one. The car smelled like whiskey all the way home.

I'm not going to use a liner. I've got it full now. I'll dump it in a few days and repeat a few times. My temps won't be consistent enough for a few more wks.

I keep my grow out plants in clay pots in 2OL tanks. I'm just going to move the clay pots into the barrel starting with plants that tolerate cooler water 1st. As the weather gets warmer they can be swapped out with warmer water plants and finally fish.

The other nice thing about the pots is I can adjust water depth as needed. Some of the younger crypts will be closer to the surface until they get larger.
Old 03-24-2012, 02:52 AM   #12
AaronT
Collectoritis Patient

PTrader: (202/100%)

I found one at the orange box once for about $30.00.
Here it was at the beginning of the season. I put cherry shrimp in it one year and pulled out at least 500 of them.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:11 AM   #13
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

Arron - It's kind of amazing how well fish & invests do when put out side and left alone. When I had my concrete pond in the late 80's we had a month plus of high 90's & 100s here in the Chicago area. I moved my african cichlids & angel fish out into the 300gl pond. At the end of summer I had more fry than I new what to do with. I put them all in a 20l and it took several weeks to figure out exactly who was who.

The most interesting was the angelfish jumping out of the water to get mosquitos.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:41 PM   #14
Colorful
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (25/96%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwilso20 View Post
Could anyone identify the plants in these? I'm trying to come up with a planting list for a barrel.
there's water hyacinth in the first picture. Not sure about the other plants/
Colorful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:27 AM   #15
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

Definitely water Hyacinth in the upper pic. Some sort of iris or rush-like thing (grassy looking vertical leaves) I would try to use variegated Iris. Neatest, least invasive.
Background is some fern. Australian Tree Fern has fronds like that, but so do many other ferns. To the right/middle looks like Agapanthus, thick strap shaped leaves.

2nd pic: Hanging over the edge is Myriophyllum. Try to find a dwarf. The most common is a rampant weed in a setting like this; even the dwarf will need trimming to stay small enough.
Some sort of water lily floating leaves. There are some dwarf varieties to look for in a planter this small.
Fine spiky thing might be any of the smaller rush/sedge/papyrus sort of grassy thing, or a very fine leafed Iris.

In post 12 I think I see Bacopa (far right) in a pot with a low growing moss. You can grow plants in pots by turning one pot upside down in the barrel and sitting the planted pot on top of it. You could even cut a hole in the bottom pot to make a cave for the fish.
Background in pic in post 12 is Hosta (green and white leaves). I am not sure of the plant to the left, but Stachys would work like that, low growing, large leaf.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote