15 Gallon Shrimp tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 02-18-2012, 02:54 AM   #1
Zmuda
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)

15 Gallon Shrimp tank

Been wanting to set up another tank for a couple weeks now and been doing a lot of thinking on how I wanted to do it. I have a 20 gallon in my basement with CRS and finally got one berried on valentines day so it sprung me into action on setting one up. I went to a LFS and they were having a $1.50 per gallon sale and was planning on getting another 20 gallon. Only had $40 on a gift card I had so I was trying to get as much I could get out of that sucker. Walked in ended up getting a 15 gallon instead. Has the same foot print as a 20 gallon but not as high. Perfect for me. And they also had a HOB filter on sale for $11 so got that too. Ended up dropping $37 on the 15 gallon and the HOB filter. Really like this tank. I've never seen tanks with black silicon and they had some there and really like the look of them so I got one with the black. I also picked up some Akadama substrate from Nilocg. Everyone should go buy some from him. Great seller on here and completely worked around some issues I had during the purchase. Great shipping and just amazing substrate. Pictures don't do it justice on how this stuff looks in your tank. Well enough on rambling on here's some pics of me setting her up.

Here's the tank with no Akadama or water in it.

Here's the Akadama. Amazing stuff

Here's the tank with the Akadama without water.

Starting to fill it up.

Haha you can see all the water jugs I used to fill it up with. I need a damn RO unit

Here it is about 20 minutes after it being filled and filter on. Now to let her cycle and put some stuff in her.

Please any comments and concerns or any improvements are GREATLY appreciated. First time really doing anything to substrate other than just flat. Ha my mom likes the look so that's all that matters to me. Always gotta please the Mom. Also what plants would looks good? Hopefully gonna put some stones in her soon and try to make it look decent. No heater yet but after my birthday tomorrow I shall have enough money to go get one. Also what you guys/girls thinking about shrimp? I'm planning on keeping my best CRS in here and really want some Blue Pearls as well.

Sorry for the ramble ramble ramble.
Zmuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2012, 03:39 AM   #2
greenfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)

Akadama is great stuff. Moss is always good for shrimps. Any pre-filter on that HOB? Probably needs one of some kind to protect the little guys.
greenfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:46 AM   #3
Zmuda
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfish View Post
Akadama is great stuff. Moss is always good for shrimps. Any pre-filter on that HOB? Probably needs one of some kind to protect the little guys.
I'm definatly going to get some moss just don't know what kind yet. And yes I do have a pre-filter for that bad boy but leaving it off for now as it still settles and all from the new setup
Zmuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 04:23 AM   #4
greenfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)

I am partial to flame and Taiwan moss but shrimp will like it no matter what you decide. Good luck!
greenfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 05:46 AM   #5
madness
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

Rather than rocks you might consider driftwood with moss/plants attached.

Java Ferns, bolbitis, etc. attached to the driftwood, moss or pellia, etc.

You can do 'riccia rocks' where you cover stones in riccia.
madness is offline   Reply With Quote