glosso up-rooting
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 08-07-2005, 06:38 AM   #1
warr40
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

glosso up-rooting

hey....I'm planing on getting glosso in a 29g -- 4wpg
does glosso becom up-rooted b/c sum1 told me that they have to be replanted every month
can sum1 help me out is there a way to prevent the up-rooting
warr40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2005, 11:41 AM   #2
azfishguy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Fast growing glosso quickly spreads over your substrate covering all the area you want it to cover. When it's done, it looks amazing. Unfortunately, it continues to grow. Since it already covered all there was to cover, it has no choice but to grow on top of the first layer. Next it grows on top of the second layer at which point the first layer begins detaching from the substrate and, IME, there is nothing you can do to stop that. To prevent the layer build up, I've tried to trim the new growth, I've tried cutting out checkboard squares from the sod to make room for the new growth (which looks very ugly btw) but nothing really worked. The only thing I could do was to remove the whole sod, cut new segments and replant. In my 120G tank it was a long and painful proccess. I finally replaced glosso with dwarf grass (eleocharis acicularis) which is MUCH easier to manage. Glosso is a cool carpet plant...I just don't have the Tibetan monk's patience for it.
azfishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 06:30 PM   #3
warr40
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

o ok
i'll try ricca/hc carpet
warr40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 11:50 PM   #4
azfishguy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I don't, by any means, discourage you from growing glosso. Again, I think it's an amazing looking little plant. All I said is that it was a problem for me to replant it in a big tanks that I have. I think that in your 29 gallons it would be much easier to control it even if you have to replant it. Riccia...hmmm...make sure you know all about it as well
Cheers
azfishguy is offline   Reply With Quote