Jake's Mr. Aqua 12gal Long/36" Shrimp Tank (pic heavy) - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 02-12-2012, 04:20 PM   #16
1995db7
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

tank is looking great jake can't wait for my tank to come in and get started,i wanted to ask you if you think the light you have now would be strong enough to keep a carpet of hc,i really like how sleek it looks on the tank
1995db7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2012, 04:22 PM   #17
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (435/100%)

It's 100% perfect for HC on a tank this height. But you will certainly need to dose EI and run pressurized CO2 with it. Absolutely love the fixture.

I'm raising it because I don't want to go the high-tech route.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:22 PM   #18
endgin28
Planted Member

PTrader: (13/100%)

Cool, really like the format. (obviously) If I might suggest a layout type, I would look at one rock set to the 1/4 point right, a larger set to the 2/3 point left. With the spread on this tank, a negative space near the middle might be sweet. I just subtracted a little hardscape on mine and the negative space does wonders for the look.

I didn't see the filtration set up in the initial posts (maybe I overlooked them), but I like a fairly powerful system with this tank, as dead spots can be very likely given the dimensions. It is a long run from one side to the other, for as little volume as the tank has.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:28 PM   #19
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

Thanks for your thoughts (seriously) on the negative space. That's kind of what I'm shooting for so I have a lot of ground for shrimp observation. Really excited to have a tank that won't be overly planted.

Filtration: Eheim Ecco 2232/Easy 35. Making a 30"-32" spray bar to run across the back of the tank. Made one for a 20L that was about 28" long and it worked perfectly with the filter. Also crafted an intake from rigid tubing that's capped with a stainless steel shrimp strainer (or a sponge, if I get tired of the steel).

Gonna run a powerhead - Hydor Koralia Nano 240 to assist with any dead flow spots.

Likely sending you a PM because some 'U' tubes that I could use to connect hose with pipes would be awesome.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:48 PM   #20
endgin28
Planted Member

Let me know. Bending them is pretty easy, getting them right is hard. Actually retracted the offer of them build thinking you wouldn't need it after looking at you sig. LOL
Old 02-12-2012, 04:57 PM   #21
endgin28
Planted Member

For what its worth, you can easily clean up the tank by doing the ADA thing (same side input-output) and not have a giant spraybar running the length. It is a bit distracting to look at. A 2234, with a koralia opposite, should easily give you solid circ, probably don't need the spraybar.

On a side note, one of the funniest (but accidentally cruel) things I ever did was put a koralia in my cube on a timer opposite the lights. I wasn't thinking. My RCS would dive into the nano when it was off to get at the goodies inside. The timer would come on and the rummies would have RCS for a night time snack. OOPS. Live feeding definitely brought out some color in the rummies.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:03 PM   #22
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

Already have the filter so will likely be sticking with it. One of the reasons I landed on rigid tubing is that it essentially disappears when in water.

Ideally would love to do the ADA/lily thing with this tank but even the most expensive, most fancy set of pipes don't provide the right amount of flow on this tank. Tried every set I've got and no dice - even with higher powered filters.

So ended up deciding on this filter - which should be sufficient for filtration purposes of just shrimp - and a powerhead for flow. Have a tiny little Rio pump I could use if I need more flow than the Koralia will provide. (Actually use one of them with rigid tubing as a spray bar in another tank for flow)
Old 02-12-2012, 05:25 PM   #23
endgin28
Planted Member

double post oops
Old 02-12-2012, 05:57 PM   #24
endgin28
Planted Member

The filter would be fine with shrimp. Let me know what you would like to do re: pipes. If you have the spraybar still on radar, I could build that instead. If you look at the old pic (first page) on the black gate I ran a side mounted spraybar at first. I think I still have that one somewhere if you want it. I didn't get the flow I was craving, but ended up with a massive filter driving it instead. (man the 404 was noisy, but it moved some water in that arrangement)
Old 02-14-2012, 12:08 AM   #25
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

Have ten tiny Horned Nerites from mgamer that are moving into several of my tanks:

Some new Baubalti/Green shrimp:

New Taiwan Fire Reds:

Still not set on the greens. They may end up in a smaller tank on their own somewhere. Especially if I find some fancy dark shrimp of some sort that I can keep without RO water.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:24 AM   #26
xenxes
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)

Lol lol lol, another one!

I love the dimensions on that tank! Wish I had room to put one.

Think a rock scape would be easier than driftwood for something so shallow and long.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:35 AM   #27
ADA
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

AWESOME!!! I can't wait to see this evolve. Subscribed!
ADA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:19 AM   #28
smracer31
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I would try to avoid a spray bar the length of the tank, I had this on my 12 gallon long and i eventually ended up with a clear acrylic tube that looked like this
I settled with the cal aqua 13mm nano lily pipes, expensive but well worth it!

I have a white foam board as a background on mine with led's that light up the white board at night.. sets the mood for the shrimp lol

smracer31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:06 PM   #29
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

Thanks for sharing the photos. That tank is great.

Had thought about this being a potential problem but I've been using them in 20Ls for about a year and with a quick cleaning every 3-4 months, I haven't had much of an issue. Though, honestly, I tend to clean tubing that's visible every week if it's needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smracer31 View Post
I would try to avoid a spray bar the length of the tank, I had this on my 12 gallon long and i eventually ended up with a clear acrylic tube that looked like this
Old 02-15-2012, 06:11 PM   #30
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

why didnt you use the lily pipes that wouldnt work in the ebi?
orchidman is online now   Reply With Quote