125g poll
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Pennsylvania

Old 02-12-2012, 01:45 AM   #1
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

125g poll

ok folks, here's my dilemma. i just got my 125g tank today, but i'm torn.
the angel on my left shoulder is telling me to make it a crypt/invert tank, mainly because there are very few out there in that size. however, the devil on my right shoulder keeps telling me to make it a native tank. bluegills, bullhead,sunfish, ect., all the stuff i catch throughout the warm months.

i posted this in the local section, because i hope you guys are familiar with the local fishies. now, i don't know how to do a poll, but just sound off your thoughts, whether they be brilliant, or brain farts
Fishies_in_Philly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2012, 02:14 AM   #2
KingPlakat
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (19/100%)

I'm not really a fan of native tanks, but I guess that's because they always look so plan and baron with huge fish that look out of place. I would plant the hell out of it haha
KingPlakat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2012, 11:21 AM   #3
DaveK
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

This sort of thing comes down to this - What do you want out of your tank? After all, it's your tank, ot mine.

As for native fish, as you can see, there are not too many people keepiing them, so your sort of going to be on your own. Also, you are talking about fish that get large by aquarium standards. I'd say that if your willing to put the time and effort into it this could be very rewarding. Make sure it's not something you'll loose interest in a few months down the road.

Since you'd be catching your own fish, I'd also highly recommend a quarantine tank for anything new. You don't want to bring in any diseases or parasites.

Obviously, make sure you don't violate any fish and gamelaws in the process.

Lastly, one you keep a fish in captivity, it should never be released back into the wild, not even if is seems healthy and the species is already in that area.
DaveK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2012, 03:57 PM   #4
moonwasaloon
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

Problem a native tank, may need to get a chiller. Most sunfish I believe like colder water
moonwasaloon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2012, 04:02 PM   #5
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
This sort of thing comes down to this - What do you want out of your tank? After all, it's your tank, ot mine.

As for native fish, as you can see, there are not too many people keepiing them, so your sort of going to be on your own. Also, you are talking about fish that get large by aquarium standards. I'd say that if your willing to put the time and effort into it this could be very rewarding. Make sure it's not something you'll loose interest in a few months down the road.

Since you'd be catching your own fish, I'd also highly recommend a quarantine tank for anything new. You don't want to bring in any diseases or parasites.

Obviously, make sure you don't violate any fish and gamelaws in the process.

Lastly, one you keep a fish in captivity, it should never be released back into the wild, not even if is seems healthy and the species is already in that area.
oh, i would never catch my own. i would purchase pond stock for it. and thereare some rather small native fish as well.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:04 PM   #6
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonwasaloon View Post
Problem a native tank, may need to get a chiller. Most sunfish I believe like colder water
good point. even though the tank is in an unheated basement, it still has the potential for higher temps in the summer. and a chiller for that size tank would be well beyond my budget.....lol
Old 02-13-2012, 03:11 AM   #7
robxc80
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

if you were to do native fish, you can certainly get color and smaller size. Not sure if you mean Native as in US fishes or Native as in PA fishes.

Some darters (rainbow Darter prime among them) are extremely colorful and have a following in the hobby outside of the states even. You can also add madtom catfish and smaller sunfish like the pygmy sunfish or the black banded sunfish which gets a little bigger and is more like a dwarf cichlid. Native Killies also fit the bill and the Florida Flagfish is ubiquitous!

You won't need a chiller for most of them unless you're keeping fish from running, cool water...but i doubt you'll be stocking trout, pike, small mouth, and Walleye. I fish these waters in the summer and the water gets to 87 Degrees and the fish survive them just fine. Just make sure you're water is oxygenated and has some movement.

A lot of plants we keep are native with Mayaca, Ludwigia, Cabomba, and Hornwort to name a few. Also, the Blyxa plants are temperate tolerant considering where they are from.

If you opt for a bigger sunfish, the Pumpkinseed and the Red Ear Sunfish are gorgeous and look better than most CA/SA cichlids in regard to color. The red's just POP. I've seen Pumpkinseeds for sale quite often but remember that the Lepomis Sunfish are very pugnacious and will require a larger tank.

I think theres a lot of room and time for a native tank...but people always overlook them for something exotic. Go to Europe and Japan and you'll find more people keeping US Natives than we do. Go figure.

Either way, good luck!
robxc80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.