sKindy's 10g Color Theory tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 02-05-2012, 10:10 AM   #1
skindy
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

sKindy's 10g Color Theory tank

This was (and still is) my first planted tank. It's about ... almost a year old now and has gone under a lot of changes as I learn more and more. My whole concept for this tank was to make it represent who I am and what I like, color-wise.

Latest Shot: 03.03.12

Quote:
Tank: Standard 10g
Filter: Tetra Whisper PF10
Lighting: OEM 15watt hood lighting
Substrate: Floramax
Flora:
  • Rotala macrandra
  • Water Wisteria
  • Ludwigia repens
  • Limnophila aromatica
  • Anubias barteri
  • Nymphoides aquatica
Fauna:
  • (2) Fancy Goldfish - Naruto & Sasuke
  • Black Apple Snail - Gary
Decor: River rocks, Squidward's House :P
Don't mind the blue mesh over the filter. Sasuke, the smaller goldfish, likes to swim under the sucking part of the filter (he's actually the one next to it in the pictures) and he's gotten sucked twice already. I've covered it for now until I figure out what to really do about it and my suicidal goldfish.

I really need to re-position a lot of things but I was so excited about my new plants I just wanted to get them in there. Right now the color balance is great and it's definitely relaxing but I'd like to move a few things. I'll wait until my tongs get delivered! The R. macrandra is the only plant I'm worried about. I consider it my "advanced" plant since it's a bit hard to care for. Hopefully I do a good job. Thank you, OVT, for the plants! They're amazing and so are you!

Just for kicks, here is a shot of the tank right after I took some of the plants out and right before changing everything up. I know, SCARY!

Last edited by skindy; 03-04-2012 at 05:49 AM..
skindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2012, 11:03 AM   #2
sevenyearnight
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Looking good
Why isn't the tank filled up all the way?

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

Ram Biotope
sevenyearnight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:10 PM   #3
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

not sure where color theory is coming into play here, but its looking like a good start
scapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 05:58 PM   #4
skindy
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenyearnight View Post
Looking good
Why isn't the tank filled up all the way?

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
Last night we moved the tanks to their new stands. Since I didn't feel like draining some of the water I only took out a bit off the top. This way, when we (and by "we" I mean the boyfriend) carried it over it didn't spill. It's only about 5ft from where it was to the new table. I still need to put the water back in but I've been busy cooking up a storm for my superbowl party today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapegoat View Post
not sure where color theory is coming into play here, but its looking like a good start
Oh, oops! I thought I posted a picture of what I meant. The pictures above don't really do it any justice yet. This is a better idea! The colors are a bit more warm and it's the "opposite" of the Chi. Also, the two plants in the middle help with the gradual color shift. I'll have to take some pictures of it in the day light! Also, hey! You're from Philly! I lived there for five years before moving out to CA. I went to school at Temple U! :P

Old 03-04-2012, 05:47 AM   #5
skindy
Planted Member

It's been a while since my first post! A couple of things have changed with this tank namely that I want to kill my goldfish for being difficult.
  • No more Rotala Macrandra. The goldfish have eaten every last leaf of it and all I had left were stems. They did this over the span of the weekend when I was away -sigh-
  • I've added ... Vallisneria, though not exactly sure which kind yet
  • Added a manzantia branch and tied the Anubias to it
  • Added a black background

Here is to hoping the plants can grow out some more before the goldfish eat all of them. I am strongly considering moving the fish to another tank but I just know I'll want to add plants to that one as well. I think the fish are starting to nip at the vallisneria since the tips aren't brown - just broken off.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:51 AM   #6
Da Plant Man
Nerd Alert.

PTrader: (74/100%)

That tank is wayyyyyyy to small for those fish. I would recommend finding a new home for them that is at least 29g or more.

Looks great so far though!

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
Da Plant Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:20 AM   #7
skindy
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Plant Man View Post
That tank is wayyyyyyy to small for those fish. I would recommend finding a new home for them that is at least 29g or more.

Looks great so far though!
Thanks! Yeah, the goldfish really should be in a bigger tank. I started out with just the smaller one and was thinking he might be alright by himself but my younger cousin won the slightly larger one at a fair and it came to live with me.

I was considering re-homing them but everyone I've spoke to wants to use them as feeder fish or want to place them in an even more crowded tank! Hopefully, my LFS will have the new tank I want next week and they'll have more room to swim happily!