twin 29g tanks on metal stand...pic heavy! - Page 13
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 12-03-2011, 03:02 AM   #181
cableguy69846
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Ok. Didn't get to say anything earlier as I was getting ready to jet.

That DW looks amazing. Where did you pick it up? That will look awesome in 55 gallon tanks with a little moss on it.
The Fraternity of Dirt #39
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Cable's Madness
Fish tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.
"What the smeggin smeg's he smeggin' done now?!" - Lister
cableguy69846 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2011, 03:17 AM   #182
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)

I am ashamed (because I am a Mighty Driftwood Hunter, and wild driftwood fears me) to admit both of these came from e*bay. I was actually the ONLY bidder on the first piece - I won it for 99 cents plus actual shipping. I think people were put off by it's size?
The second one set me back - using up all my "play" money leftover from paying bills - but it was worth every penny to me. It was $53 total. I jumped on it's Buy-It-Now price. It's exactly what I wanted in a piece of dw, and I've been looking for something like it for months. There's a great driftwood store online (can't remember the name) and I've been watching there, too. This e*bay one is perfect.
It just gets me pumped up even more to get started on this twin 55g project. I'm lucky that my paycheck next week has my quarterly bonus on it. I'm using it to buy more plants from Gordon & to get the backerboard & tile - just enough to set up a 55...oooh I can't wait!
The Fraternity of Dirt # 7 - Daughter of the Dirt - Canon Club #018
Twin 29g Dirt Tanks on an Iron Stand - DIY 3D Backgrounds
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...stand-pic.html
The Behemoth - 125 dirt tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=199772
driftwoodhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 03:26 AM   #183
cableguy69846
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodhunter View Post
I am ashamed (because I am a Mighty Driftwood Hunter, and wild driftwood fears me) to admit both of these came from e*bay. I was actually the ONLY bidder on the first piece - I won it for 99 cents plus actual shipping. I think people were put off by it's size?
The second one set me back - using up all my "play" money leftover from paying bills - but it was worth every penny to me. It was $53 total. I jumped on it's Buy-It-Now price. It's exactly what I wanted in a piece of dw, and I've been looking for something like it for months. There's a great driftwood store online (can't remember the name) and I've been watching there, too. This e*bay one is perfect.
It just gets me pumped up even more to get started on this twin 55g project. I'm lucky that my paycheck next week has my quarterly bonus on it. I'm using it to buy more plants from Gordon & to get the backerboard & tile - just enough to set up a 55...oooh I can't wait!
Nice. I am going to have to start watching e-bay a little bit. I hate when something like that eats up all the "play" money. Good luck on the tile and all that. And don't forget, when you are ready, I need to trim the myrio again really soon. Lol, now would be good, but I can wait a bit. If you end up remembering the name of the store, send me a link? That would be awesome.

Cable's Madness
Old 12-03-2011, 03:31 AM   #184
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru

I don't know how to do a link, but I just double-checked - it's called The Driftwood Store. (Duh)
I might be in a plant buying mood next Wed. when I get paid - we'll have to pm prices, etc!
Old 12-03-2011, 03:34 AM   #185
cableguy69846
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I don't know how to do a link, but I just double-checked - it's called The Driftwood Store. (Duh)
I might be in a plant buying mood next Wed. when I get paid - we'll have to pm prices, etc!
Lol. Got ya on the name. I will check it out.

Just let me know when you are ready. It won't be expensive at all. $15 at the most, but I am thinking closer to $10 for a bunch of stems shipped. Just PM me.

Cable's Madness
Old 12-03-2011, 03:38 AM   #186
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru

Will do!
Old 12-03-2011, 03:44 AM   #187
plecostomouse
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

nice tanks and drift wood, but you call yourself driftwoodhunter?
here in down under we pull on our gumboots pile in the pick up and go bush and it always works out, i have found some awesome pieces! :P

sunsun pimp #62

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tranq...2603914?ref=hl
plecostomouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 03:46 AM   #188
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru

I know, I know, I am ashamed! *hangs head low*

In my defense, I've plucked many a chunk o' driftwood from the rivers to my car! lol
Old 12-03-2011, 03:49 AM   #189
plecostomouse
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
I know, I know, I am ashamed! *hangs head low*

In my defense, I've plucked many a chunk o' driftwood from the rivers to my car! lol
haha but i admit if i lived in usa i probs would buy some mazi :P
that stuff is wicked

sunsun pimp #62

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tranq...2603914?ref=hl
plecostomouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 09:56 PM   #190
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru

Default updated pics

Finally got a shot of both tanks on the stand - I took it at night because there is glare from windows on the opposite wall during the afternoon (when I was home). I'm really glad I elevated the iron stand 8" - 10", it makes it much easier to see the lower tank.
I'm floating plants in all my tanks until I get the 55s up, so that lends to the darkness of the pics. (I only have one 55 so far, I'll buy another one when Petco has another $1 sale). There are more tannins in the top tank with the Buenos Aires Tetras, I like the tannin look though. The bottom tank with the celebes rainbows looks empty - if you look verrrry closely, you can see the eyes of two fish. There are actually nine, but they are the shyest things I've ever had. The placement of the driftwood is terrible for me - they hide behind it all the time. It's good that that have a place to find shelter in though. I'm going to put them in the second 55 I set up - they need the space to cruise.
Some additional pics of the BATs - very entertaining fish - but so quarrelsome with each other. I hope that will be lessened when they move into a 55. I'm still learning what plants they eat & don't eat. The tall angustifolia anubias seem to be safe. So does the sword.

The top tank with the Buenos Aries tetras;

The bottom tank with the celebes rainbows - yes, the wood is having another bacterial bloom!;

This "guy" (I'm assuming) has developed a beautiful pale bluish line on his fins - he's also top dog in the tank. He has a few challengers, and they're getting the same fin markings. I think 3 out of 10 have this - that would be a good male/female ratio, so I hope I have no more males (less fighting). There are tattered fins in this tank! Maybe they all get this fin color as they mature - I have no idea...

Sometimes they all do their own thing...

and sometimes they shoal beautifully - I love watching them when they do this. I hate seeing them squabble!

Hopefull this winter I will have the two 55s up & running - one with the BATs and Columbian Red and Blue Tetras (still in QT), and one with the shy celebes rainbows and who know what else. If I can fit them in (I have BIG driftwood for these tanks!) I may get a few silver angels. Trouble is I don't know what I could keep with the angels - I'd like to get some color in the tank. I'll be asking wkndracer his opinion. I am thinking harlequin rasboras or lemon tetras. I may nix the angels for two schools of some small fish that would otherwise be angel food...
Ok, I have to go make dinner!
Old 12-11-2011, 10:36 PM   #191
cableguy69846
Planted Tank Guru

YAY! PICTURES! Those tanks look amazing. Now you are making me want to put the 20 on a rack like that and put another tank under it. I just may do that when I move the tank again. Those BAT's are pretty awesome. A bigger school of those would be amazing. I just recently got my first 2 schooling fish. Some cardinals in the 10 gallon, and some black neons in the 20, and they are my new obsession. Great fish to watch.

Glad you found some time to share with us. Don't be a stranger now.

Cable's Madness
Old 12-11-2011, 11:26 PM   #192
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru

Hi cable!
After having schooling/shoaling fish, I don't want anything else. Watching them swoop and turn as one is so neat to see. The BATs do a good job of swimming at all levels and inbetween the plants and hardscape - I'll have to plan out the 55 they are going into carefully - the Columbians behave in exactly the same way. When I plan the plantings and hardscape in their 55, I'll have to visualize the open waterways as "solid" corridors, so I can direct the swim patterns so I see them well. Same goes for the rainbows - I don't want them hiding forever - I only see them all at feeding times. If some died in a larger well planted & scaped tank, I'd never find them! The rainbows tend to stay in the lower 1/3 of the tank. It's going to be hard to find companion fish for them that swim in the mid & upper ranges - at least based on what fish I am most interested in. I'm looking hard at rummy-nosed tetras, lemon tetras, harlequin rasboras, and neons/cardinals as my choices. The neons don't school in my 40b, but the flash of color is so nice. They swim more like a loose blob. I really like tiger barbs too, but I think I'll keep them in the 40b.
There are so many fish I like, and I'd really like to get something different than the everday/always seen fish, but my budget means I pretty much have to buy fish when they are on sale at Petsmart. Petsmart never gets anything new. My local fish store ALWAYS has cool fish - lemons, blue tetras, praecox rainbows, threadfins, rummy-nose...but they are the sickest fish I've ever seen too. I won't buy there again. Not fish - meds, etc., yes. The next nearest fish store is two hours round trip. Their fish average $5 each. Too much for me. Shipping costs are too much for me to order online or here. So Petsmart it is. I guess I'll have dull tanks : (
But they'll be full of cool rocks, wood, and plants! lol
Old 12-12-2011, 12:46 AM   #193
cableguy69846
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Hi cable!
After having schooling/shoaling fish, I don't want anything else. Watching them swoop and turn as one is so neat to see. The BATs do a good job of swimming at all levels and inbetween the plants and hardscape - I'll have to plan out the 55 they are going into carefully - the Columbians behave in exactly the same way. When I plan the plantings and hardscape in their 55, I'll have to visualize the open waterways as "solid" corridors, so I can direct the swim patterns so I see them well. Same goes for the rainbows - I don't want them hiding forever - I only see them all at feeding times. If some died in a larger well planted & scaped tank, I'd never find them! The rainbows tend to stay in the lower 1/3 of the tank. It's going to be hard to find companion fish for them that swim in the mid & upper ranges - at least based on what fish I am most interested in. I'm looking hard at rummy-nosed tetras, lemon tetras, harlequin rasboras, and neons/cardinals as my choices. The neons don't school in my 40b, but the flash of color is so nice. They swim more like a loose blob. I really like tiger barbs too, but I think I'll keep them in the 40b.
There are so many fish I like, and I'd really like to get something different than the everday/always seen fish, but my budget means I pretty much have to buy fish when they are on sale at Petsmart. Petsmart never gets anything new. My local fish store ALWAYS has cool fish - lemons, blue tetras, praecox rainbows, threadfins, rummy-nose...but they are the sickest fish I've ever seen too. I won't buy there again. Not fish - meds, etc., yes. The next nearest fish store is two hours round trip. Their fish average $5 each. Too much for me. Shipping costs are too much for me to order online or here. So Petsmart it is. I guess I'll have dull tanks : (
But they'll be full of cool rocks, wood, and plants! lol
Cardinals would be an awesome choice. They run around in a tight knit group. They only time I have seen them split up is when they eat or at night after lights out, and even then they are close enough to each other to school up again quickly. Lots of personality as well. Great fish. As for the rummies, most are still wild caught and they are really hit or miss. I have not owned them yet, but everything I have heard points to harder fish to acclimate. I think that is going to be my next schooling fish though. When I get a larger tank that is.

Cable's Madness
Old 02-02-2012, 09:29 PM   #194
HolyAngel
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via AIM to HolyAngel

update?
Old 02-02-2012, 11:28 PM   #195
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks for the interest! I'm off the next two days, I'll try to post an update with pics! There aren't many changes, but there are a few...