38 Gallon DIY LED Questions
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 01-30-2012, 03:44 AM   #1
jacc1234
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

38 Gallon DIY LED Questions

Hey,
Im starting my first planted tank and plan on using LED. For now I am holding off on CO2 so I will be sticking to low light. My tank is 36L x 12w x 20h.

In the future I might decide to add CO2 to my system so I want to be able to add more lights if necessary. I think the best way to do this would be to use less LED's and wider optics and leave room on my heatsink for additional emitters.

I also would like to keep the lights close to the top of the tank for aesthetics instead of hanging them. The XP-G seems to be recommended often and the price is good but im worried I would have to hang the fixture.

Would 6 XP-G emitters provide enough coverage? Would it be better for me to use wide optics or no optics? If the XP-G is too powerful could someone recommend 1W emitters that might be better suited?

Thanks!
jacc1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2012, 07:39 PM   #2
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

I would use 9 Cree XP-G spaced 4 inches apart in one row across the top of the tank. That should give you about 40 micromols of PAR at 350 mAmps, 70 at 700 mAmps, and 90 at 1000 mAmps. This is with no optics. You don't need optics if you have the LEDs right near the top of the tank. And, without optics the light spread will cover the whole substrate very well. Use a dimmable LED driver, so you can adjust to whatever brightness you want.

If you mount the LEDs inside an aluminum channel, about 3 inches wide by 1 inch, with 1/8 inch thick walls, that should be a good enough heatsink, with no fans needed, and the walls of the channel will prevent the bright LEDs from bothering people in the room.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:55 AM   #3
jacc1234
Algae Grower

Thanks for the info. If I were to add CO2 would I just double the emitters? My tank will be to the side of my TV so a raised light will be out of the question.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:38 AM   #4
samamorgan
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via MSN to samamorgan Send a message via Skype™ to samamorgan

Raised or in the hood, it doesn't matter, as long as you have something to control the light spill. You don't need more light to compensate for the addition of Co2, Co2 is a good thing no matter what your light level.
Originally Posted by Ludwig van Beethoven
Don't only practice your art, but force your way into it's secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine.
samamorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 01:56 AM   #5
jacc1234
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
If you mount the LEDs inside an aluminum channel, about 3 inches wide by 1 inch, with 1/8 inch thick walls, that should be a good enough heatsink, with no fans needed, and the walls of the channel will prevent the bright LEDs from bothering people in the room.
Can you explain this aluminum channel to me or link a picture? Is it something like this: http://www.rapidled.com/servlet/the-...luminum/Detail
Old 01-31-2012, 02:04 AM   #6
nater3
Algae Grower

Am I ever glad it just found this thread. I am just getting back into the hobby and have decided to build a tank. (70cm x 45cm x 40cm)
I have ordered 14 cree xp-gs leds with 40 degree optics. I was worried about having enough light until I read the above. Seems I can rest easy.
nater3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:33 AM   #7
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

This shows how to use aluminum channel extrusions as a heatsink, with the LEDs inside the channel. You would use only one piece of channel though.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:27 AM   #8
samamorgan
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via MSN to samamorgan Send a message via Skype™ to samamorgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
This shows how to use aluminum channel extrusions as a heatsink, with the LEDs inside the channel. You would use only one piece of channel though.
Thats pretty clean looking, hoppy. Nice.
Originally Posted by Ludwig van Beethoven
Don't only practice your art, but force your way into it's secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine.
samamorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:21 AM   #9
jacc1234
Algae Grower

Thanks for the pic. DIY electronics im good at, basic hardware not so much lol. I am guessing aluminum channel is a basic construction material available at big box hardware stores.

The more I research the more I think im going to go with a simple Co2 setup out of the gate. So I assume I could have a bit more light.

LEDgroupbuy sells 6 packs of the CREE emitters and I was thinking about picking up 12 in total. Should i just tighten up the spacing a bit in one row or make two rows of 6?
Old 01-31-2012, 05:32 PM   #10
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

You could think about picking up 18 total too, but with more than 9 you are very likely to be forever trying to get rid of algae problems.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:30 PM   #11
jacc1234
Algae Grower

Good to know. 9 LED's + Dimmer + CO2 sounds like a solid setup to me.

Tags
diy, led