And so it has begun...
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-31-2012, 12:59 PM   #1
ucantimagine
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/90%)

And so it has begun...

March 8th
So far I have 10 Amanos, 12 Fire Red adults and a bunch of babies and 4 Nerites. I really want some Otos.

Jan 31st
I just started purchasing stuff for my first shrimp tank. It took me a good half hour to pull the trigger. lol "Do I reallllly wanna do this?" I don't want to have to re-do anything, that just wastes money. So hopefully, I make the right decisions the first time with help from all our generous TPT Gurus.

I'm planning a 20 long tank which will house RCS until I feel ready to handle more challenging types. I'm going with the Eheim 2212 and a Mattenfilter instead of a UGF and/or sponge filter. I like having access to the filter mechanism in case something goes wrong. Also I can hide stuff behind the foam wall, and it makes a good smorgasboard for the shrimpies, so that's pretty cool.

Substrate - Akadama even though I scoured the net for a cheaper alternative. I didn't see anything that was worth the risk of failure. Like I said, I don't want to have to buy anything twice.

Portable RO unit from [Ebay Link Removed] << that's weird, I didn't post a link of any kind. Apartment living has it's limits but it should get the job done.

Mosura Mineral Plus. I figure I may as well get used to paying for the good stuff so I don't have sticker shock later. lol Hopefully the Ultra formula lasts longer than the original formula.

I'm in no rush to get the shrimp. I want to get everything nice and mature and get my scaping together before I move the critters in.

Testing - pH, gH, kH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate - all liquid API tests and a handheld TDS meter by HM Digital. Do these work? Am I missing any tests?

For lighting, I already have a 24" 48W T5.

I'm going to use a clip-on fan and a programmable outlet thermostat to keep the water from getting too warm. These are on amazon for around $40. (The thermostat)

Other than food and shelter, am I missing anything? I'll get a large Satellite Breeding Box when the time comes. They look very cool for selective breeding. I already have an air pump which you use in conjunction with the Mattefilter...I think?? I looked at a couple very detailed tutorials, but I'm still kinda clueless about it. lol

Last edited by ucantimagine; 03-08-2012 at 10:12 PM..
ucantimagine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2012, 01:06 PM   #2
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

You forgot cute little shrimp nets.

DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 01:35 PM   #3
ucantimagine
Planted Tank Enthusiast

lol I got 2 soft fine mesh nets.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:44 PM   #4
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

it's funny that you think half an hour is a long time to consider a decision lol!

best of luck
scapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 01:46 PM   #5
ucantimagine
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Scape - That's not counting the countless hours of research. That's just actually pressing the "Submit Order" button.
Trust me, my OCD and insomnia have been serving me well. lol
Old 01-31-2012, 02:33 PM   #6
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Unless you are just practicing, you are going way over board for RCS. All you need is a container and some water. You can just use tap water unless you have nasties in it.
EVIL Camera Pimp member #1
NIKON Pimp Club member #012
SunSun Pimp Club member #069

20L OEBT/Super Tiger/PFR Tank 20L Yellow Neo tank

Nubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:55 PM   #7
ucantimagine
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Nubster, the RCS will be my starters since this is my first time keeping shrimp. I am setting up the habitat for more demanding species which will replace the Cherries when everything is running smoothly.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:20 PM   #8
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru

I see. That's a good plan. I was just asking in case you were doing this just for RCS...you could have saved a lot of money...lol

I'm in the process of setting up my own tank that sounds similar to what you are doing. My plan is tigers and fire red/painted RCS in the tank.

Old 01-31-2012, 03:22 PM   #9
wetworks
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Sounds like you are on the right track, though I second that RCS are super easy. I have a pest shrimp problem with them in a few of my tanks where I cannot catch them to remove them, and they have gotten too smart to be trapped easily in a bottle. With that in mind, start with higher quality (PFR) from the outset. Once you get a colony of any RCS going, it is super hard to get all of them out, and introducing different/higher quality shrimps can create ugly hybrids. A lot of effort on this site is spent talking about how we can keep shrimps, but hardly anyone talks about what to do once they become entrenched in your tank. Just food for thought. Looking forward to seeing how your tank progresses.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:32 PM   #10
ucantimagine
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I do plan on getting very nice quality shrimp. No muddies. lol Luckily, we have an excellent selection around here. I'm not absolutely set on Cherries, but I won't be starting with pricey shrimp. That just doesn't sound like a good plan. I'll see how it all goes. This is a completely new type of system for me so there will be much learning involved and a few road bumps I'm sure.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:38 PM   #11
wetworks
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucantimagine View Post
I do plan on getting very nice quality shrimp. No muddies. lol Luckily, we have an excellent selection around here. I'm not absolutely set on Cherries, but I won't be starting with pricey shrimp. That just doesn't sound like a good plan. I'll see how it all goes. This is a completely new type of system for me so there will be much learning involved and a few road bumps I'm sure.
Any of the neocaridina shrimps would be a good place to start. You almost never see any variety of neo for more than $5 each, and for that price you can get excellent shrimps in your color of choice, with only a few more expensive exceptions. Don't just limit yourself to what is available in your area though. You will always get higher quality and a better price from other forum members in the swap n shop. This comes with the benefit that you also get the knowledge and experience of the person you buy from regarding the specific shrimp you purchased, should you have any questions or need help later.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:38 PM   #12
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru

Well, if you start with RCS shrimp and move on the caridinas you don't have to worry about hybrids.

Old 01-31-2012, 03:44 PM   #13
ucantimagine
Planted Tank Enthusiast

By "around here" I meant here on the forum. Why would I go anywhere else?? I've got me eye on somebody's sweet Super Tigers.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:01 PM   #14
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucantimagine View Post
Going to use a clip-on fan and a programmable outlet thermostat to keep the water from getting too warm. These are on amazon for around $40.
That is too much. Cheaper in the store. I just bought a cheap PC fan ($5) and spliced the wire into a phone charger adapter. Just match the volts. Then taped in the light strip.
Hilde is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 04:03 PM   #15
ucantimagine
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I was referring to the thermostat, not the fan. And I'm not the cuttin n splicin type...I'm sure I know how to match volts. lol You're trying to kill me!