How Active Are Your Ottos?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 08-04-2003, 01:11 AM   #1
Guttboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to Guttboy

Hi Everyone!

I have 7 Ottos in the tank. They are very interesting to watch. They tend to school with groups of 4 or 5 and cruise up and down the glass and tank. Then they stay there attached...cool to watch. Some of them (not all and not all the time) do go to town on the plants with some algae on them.

They are very active. Is this normal behaviour?

Mike

10 Gallon...20 Endler's live bearers planted, peat/kitty litter/sand substrate

15 Gallon...Just Schultz Aquatic Plant soil
Guttboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2003, 01:13 AM   #2
Schala
Algae Grower

When I first brought my three otos home, they would school with my harlequin rasboras and swim up and down in the current coming from the filter.

They are very playful when they are young, but when they get older they will hide in the plants all day. I don't see mine very much anymore. :?

I had some terrible algea before they came. As soon as I released them, they sucked onto the glass and I could actually see a clean streak behind them as they ate the algea away. Very cool.
Old 08-04-2003, 11:35 AM   #3
Angel12
Algae Grower

Send a message via MSN to Angel12

Very similar here My Ottos must be a bit older as they bullet about from Leaf to leaf I Think they are doing a good job but they tend to Dissapear quite a lot and then Play dead on a rock at the front of the Tank .. Only to speed off after a rest ... very funny to watch ... sometimes they fool the Discus into thinking there something to be nosed around ... (they dont make an attempt to eat them but are inqisative enough to want to know what they are doing on top a of a rock not moving)

Angel12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 05:32 AM   #4
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)

Same story here... first they were playing around with each other all the time, and suddenly they get boring, hiding all day... Not sure if it is an age thing (I only have them for 2 months, not sure how old they were when I bought them), or if the algaes are just running low... but it has been quite a drastic change.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 03:49 PM   #5
Guttboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Wasserpest,

How many ottos do you have in your 100 gallon? Could you give me a rundown of the critters you have in yours? Ours are the same size and would like to know what other 100 gallon users have in their tanks for fish and such.

Mike

Old 08-09-2003, 10:25 PM   #6
Wasserpest
Are these real?

My tank is a little understocked

There is one African Butterfly lady, definitely my favorite fish so far, still awaiting her playmate. It's been a daily routine to catch a few big flies, one or two earwigs, one or two butterflies, one or two mosquito fishies from the pond, and whatever else crosses my way and feed it to "Mula". Amazing what she can eat without becoming fat :P

Then there is a pair of Pearl Gouramies, which were struggling with an infection a couple of weeks (anchor worms) but they are doing great now. Not yet into bubble nest business. I feed them live daphnias/cyclops and frozen mosquito larvae. They also eat a little vegetarian food, like dying Riccia and loose algae.

There is one false SAE, very peaceful and not shy at all. Looks funny when he's eating stuff from the surface (he's supposed to eat algae, for gods sake).

I have two otos which cleaned up all the brown algae, had their playful time, and are now hiding all day :cry:

Uhm, that's it...

As for my plans: I want to get a pair or a couple of dwarf cichlids. Probably Rams. Since my dwarf puffer trial didn't go well (Mula had him for breakfast) I am looking for some snail eating fish. Considering clown loaches, but I think they get a little too large for my liking.

I had some shrimps before, which died during medicating the tank for anchor worms, and I will add a few back in.

One problem I have is that in Summer the tank gets quite warm, since I don't have air condition. So I need to look into fishies that can tolerate that. Not sure about the Rams regarding that.

I never kept Rainbow fish, but I would like to try something exotic, like Iriatherina or Pseudomugil.

The selection offered in my area is pretty sad. Haven't seen ANY dwarf cichlids yet.
Old 08-09-2003, 10:30 PM   #7
Guttboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Wasserpest,

where are you living at? sorry to hear about selection. My PETCO is really good about ordering...in fact I am on the way there to talk with the head fish guy about ordering some fish for the tank....maybe..but doubtful he can get some sae's....we shall see.

I have 7 Ottos, 8 White Cloud Mt minnows, tons of glass shrimp. Looking to get a school of 20 neons, and a school of 20 black tetras or something. Eventually i want to get a couple of german blue rams or something similar.

What are your tank temps?

Mike

Old 08-09-2003, 10:41 PM   #8
Wasserpest
Are these real?

Living in central California, Salinas area. I would probably have to drive up to San Jose to get something other than the most common stuff.

The temp in my tank has been around 80-82. To hot for WCMM's and Neons, I believe.
Old 08-11-2003, 02:47 AM   #9
aquaverde
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

My otos look like tadpoles. I think it's safe to say they're getting plenty of algae to eat :roll:

James
Old 08-24-2003, 12:40 AM   #10
evan
Planted Tank Obsessed

do ottos only eat the brown algae? i have some green colored algae growing on my driftwood and on some of my gravel? its not very thick and it actually looks kinda of good. i don't know what kind of algae that is. but they don't seem to be eating green algae? i don't know. i thought ottos did eat algae other than brown. i don't want them to starve.
evan is offline   Reply With Quote