Bacopa Carolina and Moneri
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 07-19-2005, 09:01 PM   #1
jmiz16
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Bacopa Carolina and Moneri

Which is the easier of the two and will grow like a weed?
jmiz16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2005, 09:48 PM   #2
TommyBoy
Algae Grower

Never tried the other, BUT... Bacopa Carolina has always been good for me, growing healthily without any maintenance other than trimming. I also like its green + touch of ruddy coloring. Works well with wood tones and "asian red" plants.
TommyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 10:10 PM   #3
Jdinh04
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (85/100%)

I have bacopa monneri and it grows kinda fast.
Jdinh04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 01:31 AM   #4
observant_imp
changing to CherylH

PTrader: (11/100%)

I've had both and found carolina to be much faster (and more attractive) in my tanks. It's a great plant and the color and foliage contrast nicely with a large variety of plants.

My tanks
observant_imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 12:59 PM   #5
jmiz16
Planted Member

Thanks Cheryl,

Those are some jungles you have there!!!!! I saw Birchardis in one of them, love that fish!!!!!One of my favorites and I actually have about 50 babies in my tank now.
Oh yeah, where is the Carolina, couldnt find it in your pics
Old 07-20-2005, 03:20 PM   #6
observant_imp
changing to CherylH

I've just thinned it so there isn't much showing (it grows really fast for me). It's in the rear, between the crypt retrospiralis? and the broad leaf stellata and behind the red tiger lilly.

A close up of the same plant.

My tanks
Old 07-20-2005, 04:14 PM   #7
BlueRam
Wannabe Guru

Both are weed-like. I just pulled a floating mat of moneri out of my overflow so if you would like some let me know soon or it all goes for trade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmiz16
Which is the easier of the two and will grow like a weed?
Old 07-20-2005, 06:20 PM   #8
jmiz16
Planted Member

Cheryl,

Your jungle looks much better. LOL. Great looking tank!! Thats the Bocopa Carolina, right?

2 things that grow really well in my tank and reach the surface at 36" are Rotala Rotundifolia and Amania Gracillis. I just got some Nesea and Lymph Stellata or something like that. The second of the 2 has very purple under leaves.

I would post pictures if someone could teach me how. I have a digital camera and know how to attach them to emails.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:15 PM   #9
observant_imp
changing to CherylH

Yes, that's the carolina. If the gracillis is growing well for you, you won't have any problems at all with the carolina--it's a super easy plant.

There are 2 ways that I know of to post images here. The first is to host the images here (small fee for that) and the second is to host them somewhere else. I use the second option. Once you've posted your image to a hosting site, while you're replying to a thread, you click on the icon that looks like a little mountain. It opens a dialog box and you put in the address of where you image is. I have to add a ".jpg" to mine to get the image to show.

Thanks for the comment on the improvement in my tank. I think they look a lot better now that I've gotten over the need to cram too many species into one tank. I guess it's a good example of the less is more principle. Now I just need a couple more tanks so I can thin the inventory in my other tanks. Collectoritis--it's a terrible disease (but so much fun to have).

BTW, if you need some carolina, I'd be happy to send you some next time I trim (probably a few weeks since I thinned it way back last week).

My tanks
Old 07-24-2005, 03:28 AM   #10
jart
Wannabe Guru

I am quite happy with the look of the caroliniana. The monnieri is doing fine for me right now; however I may have to get rid of it as the leaf shape appears to similar to several other plants at the present (caroliniana, R. rotundifolia, Lysimachia). But really, the caroliniana doesn't really serve as a forefround plant. I had kept caroliniana in the past with no CO2 and it was attractive; with CO2 however it is quite stunning. I think ultimately you may have good luck with either; it depends on whether you want a foreground or background plant. By the way, I found under bright light the monnieri could get a bit stemmy at times.
jart is offline   Reply With Quote