My Review: SunSun "Outside Filter" HW-302 - Page 39
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 12-12-2011, 02:10 AM   #571
Dragonfish
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

I have a sunsun 302 and my impellar shaft snapped a couple months ago. I've been using a steel shaft I made while "kool goods" contacted the manufacturer for me. They mysteriously lost the shaft I mailed them back and now it's gotten really loud. I think I found an actual factory replacement! Does this look right to you?

http://www.truaqua.com/cf300-ri.html
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2011, 02:28 AM   #572
Laura
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Laura Send a message via Skype™ to Laura

Looks right to me. Nice find!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk
Laura is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2011, 11:20 PM   #573
jiggysmb

PTrader: (0/0%)

I have had the 303A for a month now and am happy with it. I was sure I read somewhere the input/output clamp assembly acted as a shut off. Last week was the first time I cleaned it and the hoses acted as siphons and water leaked everywhere. Any tips on minimizing water lose with out pulling the hoses out of the tank?

Thanks in advance.
jiggysmb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2011, 12:55 AM   #574
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

it is supposed to be a shutoff. did u move the lever to the off position? works great on mine!!
Old 12-13-2011, 02:25 AM   #575
gotwins86
Algae Grower

I bought the 375 gph version and will be using it on my 75 gallon once I set that up in a few weeks. I decided to put it on my 29 for the time being(the 75 is going to replace the 29) and get some bacteria established in it. It has turned my 29 gallon into a raging river. I assume that with the size of the 75 gallon it wont be as strong. Correct? Or should I add something to it to slow down the flow?
gotwins86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2011, 10:09 AM   #576
In.a.Box
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfish View Post
I have a sunsun 302 and my impellar shaft snapped a couple months ago. I've been using a steel shaft I made while "kool goods" contacted the manufacturer for me. They mysteriously lost the shaft I mailed them back and now it's gotten really loud. I think I found an actual factory replacement! Does this look right to you?

http://www.truaqua.com/cf300-ri.html
are you ordering the thing? if so can u let me know how long the shaft is, im looking for a new shaft for my odyssea water pump which broke in half.

the shaft on my odyssea was about 5inch ...

ty
In.a.Box is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2011, 09:37 PM   #577
phorty
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorty View Post
I bought a CF-400 for my 55 gallon. I was thinking I could use that as the only filter but the flow isn't impressive so I'm still using a AC110 and a Emperor 400 in addition. I still like the filter though, very quiet.

I feel like I might need two when I start my 75 gallon.
So I cleaned out my CF-400 for the first time after it ran for 2 months. It was a little bit dirtier on the interior than I expected. I think I need to do a pre-filter. How are you guys setting up your pre-filters? Where do you put it and what material? I don't want to slow flow too much.

I'm also not sure I have the spray bar placed in the optimal place. Using the provided tubing it is about 2 inches below the water line. Do I want the spray bar higher so it disturbs the water line more?
phorty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2011, 01:46 PM   #578
Dragonfish
Planted Member

Yes I'm ordering it but I can tell you now no way that shaft is 5" long. Sorry! Did you try calling Aquatraders.com? They sell all the Odyssea stuff.
Old 12-19-2011, 03:35 PM   #579
phorty
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotwins86 View Post
I bought the 375 gph version and will be using it on my 75 gallon once I set that up in a few weeks. I decided to put it on my 29 for the time being(the 75 is going to replace the 29) and get some bacteria established in it. It has turned my 29 gallon into a raging river. I assume that with the size of the 75 gallon it wont be as strong. Correct? Or should I add something to it to slow down the flow?
I have the same filter. I'm having the opposite problem where I'm not getting much flow strength. I put AquaClear filter foam into the intake to act as a pre-filter and it slowed down even more. Perhaps, you should stuff more media into the baskets to slow it down?
phorty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2011, 06:56 PM   #580
Only One Haze
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Thinking about picking one of these up...Would the 302/402 be sufficient for a 30 gallon tank? Or should I go with the 303/403? Is the 40_ model worth the extra money over the 30_ model?
Only One Haze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2012, 03:00 PM   #581
Dragonfish
Planted Member

I got the impellar I posted above and it's perfect! My filter is silent again!
Old 01-11-2012, 10:11 AM   #582
tuesdayschild
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only One Haze View Post
Thinking about picking one of these up...Would the 302/402 be sufficient for a 30 gallon tank? Or should I go with the 303/403? Is the 40_ model worth the extra money over the 30_ model?

Running the 402B on my 29 and I have no complaints. Can't really speak the any advantages of the newer model over the older but I do like knowing that I'm running the supposedly improved model.
tuesdayschild is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2012, 09:27 PM   #583
Krystal907
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

Hi! So I just got the HW-302 today and super eager to set it up. Have been looking for a step by step guide because I've never had a canister filter before and I can be pretty dense at my finest. Any links or videos out there? I've looked on a few forums and found reviews, but no dummy instructions I could find. Also, what would be the ideal basket layering? My guess would be
Basket 1: All the included floss stacked
Basket 2: water softener and finer floss?
Basket 3: biomedia

I would really appreciate some help with this Thanks!
Krystal907 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2012, 05:37 AM   #584
mjbn
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)

@Krystal, I was in the same situation. Honestly, I just kept the pipes in the "group" they were sealed in plastic in and just began to fit things together until it looked right compared to the pictures. I actually did remove the surface skimmer because the intake doesn't fit in my tank with it on, so there is some "customization" possible. As for filter media:
Bottom Basket: 3 filter floss pads
Middle Basket: Ceramic rings and a couple bio balls
Top Basket: Bioballs, an Aquaclear HOB sponge (from old filter), and 2 stacked rena filter floss with a fine topping.
mjbn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2012, 12:11 AM   #585
In.a.Box
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

I got my the other day been running on my 40B for 4 days now.
When I first got it, it was wet inside I guess they test run it before they shipped it out.
The o-ring and inside on the side was oily. Filter didn't come with any carbon or bio ball.
It did came with 3 white floss pad.

So far so good this filter is like a ninja I can't hear a thing sometime I wonder if this filter is working/on or not. Lol I must say the flow suck at 200+ gph this thing is weak.
If I was to guess the flow rate on this filter I would say about 145+.

This filter will be nice if there a carry handle so you can pick it up.

Here my media set up.
Bottom: ton of floss
Middle: floss, bio ball
Top: bio ball, biomax.

The skimmer on this thing doesn't work for me since the water line is high.
In.a.Box is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.