1 Gallon Shrimp Cubus! (now with plants!!!)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-26-2012, 01:21 AM   #1
Eldachleich
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

1 Gallon Shrimp Cubus! (now with plants!!!)

*Go To Last Page For Current Pictures And Updates*

So, I've been dying to own a cube. Any cube..
But for many reasons I needed a cheap cube.
While at PetSmart I saw the perfect cube.
A one gallon cube..
The Marina Cubus....

It was perfect, cheap and cube shaped... I have high standards, I know.

Its advertised as the perfect home for a betta. It even has a breathing cover for the betta!! How nice of them.
It was on sale for $16.99..
After a few days of agonizing over it I finally pulled the trigger after seeing someones marina .5 gallon shrimp tank.
I went out and bought it and discovered it came with a 3 LED light.
Since I'm keeping exclusively low light plants, mainly mosses and anubias, I figured this light would be perfect for it!!
My intitial impression of the tank. Wasnt great.
The silicone was a little sloppy. The edges didnt line up perfectly.
But its plus sides were getting better. It was cube shaped. Came with a light, had a nice little cover. it was cubed shaped.. It was glass, and raised up on little white stand in the center of the bottom.
That last part is really nice. Makes the cube look like its floating.
Did I mention it was cube shaped?

On top of all that I wanted a shrimp tank. And this fit the bill perfectly.
I also wanted something for my bathroom counter. Boom!! Done.
Its growing on me more and more.
I'm still unsure about the specifics. Not sure how I'm gonna scape it.
Not sure on what shrimp to put in.
I'm leaning towards yellows but really want those intense fire yellows.
I cant find them anywhere...
Not sure what to do about a filter. I hate bubbles in tanks so I'm avoiding sponge filters as long as possible. And want something as small as possible.
I refuse to order a filter. I just cant bring myself to do it.
Otherwise that Azoo filter would be here in my tank already lol.
Wish I knew a source for it locally.
I'll be posting picture later and hopefully you guys can help me scape it.
whatever inhabitants I'm getting I would like to order them soon as my birthday is here in two days and I would love to take advantage of that.

Last edited by Eldachleich; 02-08-2012 at 02:46 AM..
Eldachleich is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2012, 02:02 AM   #2
Jayme
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

Your making me want one, just because!

I have an addiction to aquariums and even though we have no room left anywhere for more I still long for them.

Can't wait to see what you do with it!
Jayme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:05 AM   #3
shrimpnmoss
Shrimpsanity

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to shrimpnmoss

hey where's the pixi?
Old 01-26-2012, 03:14 AM   #4
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

EVIL Camera Pimp member #1
NIKON Pimp Club member #012
SunSun Pimp Club member #069

20L OEBT/Super Tiger/PFR Tank 20L Yellow Neo tank

Nubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:49 AM   #5
Eldachleich
Wannabe Guru

Lol!!
I'm sorry!! I was being dragged out the door as I was typing the end of that.
Me and my sister's birthdays are two days apart. So my family lumps us together and celebrates our birthdays together in that two day time period.
Shes the 25th and I'm the 27th.
We were having birthday dinner and presents and I was slowing them down with my "Damn fish crap!!".
I just got home.
Heres the pictures as promised
The first one is the box. This thing is covered in writing about how awesome and sleek and amazing it is. And how amazing and perfect it is for a betta.
The second picture it out of the box and on its side after a quick rinse.
Ignore my tacky yellow counters. They came with house and are being replaced this spring. Unless I go with that french theme I was considering.
I think they would be perfect for that...
Any how... In that second picture you can see the white "pedestal" thats on the bottom. It raises it about a centimeter off the counter. The pedestal isnt exact in the center. But not enough to affect the balance of the thing much. If I push hard on the back left corner it goes back by about one or two millimeters.
In the third picture you can see where its going on my counter.
The fourth picture is it in the corner full of water with the light on. This is the angle I'll see it most often from. The toher angle I see it most often from I didnt take a picture from. But its the toilet. Which is off to the left. Should I have mentioned that?
The fifth picture is the light, which slides on to the rim in the back. I need it on the side because of my mirror cabinet.
The light itself is pretty bright in such a small space.
Its 6x6x6 inches btw..
The sixth picture is from head on with the light on. This picture gives you the clearest idea of what it looks like. And the bright bar in the bottom is the gap between the counter and the tank.

Now I knew that this thing was bright because the floor was reflecting alot back into the tank.
Since I plan on some sort of coloured shrimp I knew I needed a dark substrate. I hate hate hate hate gravel and brown substrate. So I opted for Tahitian Moon Sand from CaribSea. This sucked alot of the light up.
I'm Hoping its enough to see the shrimp and scape.
The difference is not as bad as in the pictures. My cell phone has a very old bad camera. So the quality of these shots isnt great.
The seventh picture is of it filled with sand. On the bottom.
The picture with the sand is much darker than in real life. It didnt like adjusting between the LED above and the black sand below. And the picture without the sand is brighter than in person. Though more true to life than the one with sand.
You can kinda see the breathing hole in some of the pictures. When buying it I was wondering why it had a breathing hole. I figured that even if you filled it up the the rim there would still be a space between the lid and it. Wrong!!! This thing can be filled all the way up to the lid and to the very edge of the breathing hole. I was very surprised!!

Anything else? I'm always talking it seems... Hmm.. I know I've forgotten something.
Oh!! I ordered some yellow shrimp from BobsTropicalPlants. I was getting some sparkling gourami's for my 5.5 and decided that not paying the extra separate shipping fee wasnt worth it.
So I ordered 8 of them.

Now for the scaping part.
I want something real low light.
I used up all my birthday gift opportunities already on other things (a Disney pass, more tea, the gourami's and shrimp, and some tea pots. Sorry, I had to share) so I can't order anything else. And I dont get paid till the 10th.
And I really want this thing scaped at least mainly before the shrimp come. At some point I would love some mosses to put in there but I hate removing hardscape once its been laid down.
Heres what I've got at my disposal that I think will live in this tank.
I have anubias nana, anubias nana petite, crypt parva, water wisteria, a very small amount of mini pellia, fissidens fontanus, and duckweed.
I have dark grey slate, and assorted grey rocks in varying sizes and shapes and shades of grey. I can go out and collect as much driftwood as I want. Theres alot of manzy and oak around here. I prefer oak honestly.
I have CaribSea Moonlight Sand (white), poolfilter sand, Tahitian Moonlight Sand (black), and Miracle Grow Organic Potting Soil.
I also might order some floated soon. So If you think a specific one would look good.
Thats all I have...
Oh.. Marsilea that has never ever lost its 4 leaf clover shape. Though who knows in such a low light tank. And some sort of small sword, and some sort of grassy plant that does well in lowlight.
Examples of the slate and rock are in my 5.5 gallon journal, and examples of the grassy plant, and marsilea are in my 4 gallon bowl journal.
Ok heres the pics!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0125122230.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	40874  

Name:	0125122225.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	40875  

Name:	0125122225a.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	40876  

Name:	0125122229a.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	40877  

Name:	0125122228.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	40878  

Name:	0125122229.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	40879  

Name:	0125122222a.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	40880  

Old 01-26-2012, 11:05 AM   #6
Eldachleich
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayme View Post
Your making me want one, just because!

I have an addiction to aquariums and even though we have no room left anywhere for more I still long for them.

Can't wait to see what you do with it!
Something real lowlight lol...
Real real lowlight.
You have room for this!! 6"x6"x6"
Everyone has room for that!!
C'mon.. you know you want it..
You need it...
You can't live without it. Just tell everyone its just been sitting around being a waste of money.
You've had it for years..
You found it in the back of your closet.
It's always been there..
How are they supposed to know?

Lol... I'm allowed one more tank in my house. And saving it for a future 56 or 65 gallon for a pair of angels.
And that comes when I move rooms. And then this one becomes the guest room. And what guest would want to fall asleep to a nicely planted, scaped, stocked, and soothing fish tank?
lol...

One day I'll make journals for all the tanks that other people are having me take care of.
My friend moms goldfish tank.
My brothers 10 gallon.
The 3 bowls at my moms house.
Her 5 gallon in the bathroom (this ones a nightmare)...
The list goes on.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:22 AM   #7
WillPlanted
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I have the same tank but I use mine for a betta. I love the idea of using it as a nano shrimp cube. What are you thinking of for filtration?
WillPlanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:32 PM   #8
Eldachleich
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillPlanted View Post
I have the same tank but I use mine for a betta. I love the idea of using it as a nano shrimp cube. What are you thinking of for filtration?
You should!! Go out and buy a 5 gallon for the betta, and make this into a shrimp cube!!
not sure yet. The shrimp should be here on friday so I have till then to rig something up.
I'm either going to go for a fountain pump, or a sponge filter. as internal filters take up precious space.
Looking for a cheap small HOB.... I would love to have one.
Marina makes a real skinny small one But I thing its too long. By an inch.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:02 PM   #9
xenxes
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)

I wanted to get that glass cube originally, but the plastic one was $6 and I liked the inner square, but it's so heavily planted you can't see it anymore anyway. Good find!

Let me know if you find a good HOB filter, I may just toss my plastic cube and "upgrade" -- it's getting pretty scratched up. Awesome that it came with a little ambient light!

You know... I'm actually going to Petsmart to pick one up, I need a temporary housing for my blue rilis (cull) coming in the mail until I get the 9g scaped.
xenxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:03 PM   #10
Eldachleich
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenxes View Post
I wanted to get that glass cube originally, but the plastic one was $6 and I liked the inner square, but it's so heavily planted you can't see it anymore anyway. Good find!

Let me know if you find a good HOB filter, I may just toss my plastic cube and "upgrade" -- it's getting pretty scratched up. Awesome that it came with a little ambient light!

You know... I'm actually going to Petsmart to pick one up, I need a temporary housing for my blue rilis (cull) coming in the mail until I get the 9g scaped.
How weird... the square in the middle appealed to me to...
I thought it was brilliant till I realised I wouldnt see it.
It would be nice as potting soil holder though. For a specific crypt or something.
I loved the glass. the .4 gallons of extra space, the raised up bit, and the light. They were all nice touches for such a tiny tank. I'm still looking around I may end up breaking down and ordering the azoo filter. I just wish shipping wasnt so expensive...
Go!! Get one! Now!! lol... Its on sale right now by 4 whole dollars. Just enough to make me feel better.
When those rilis start breeding I would love to get some babies from you. seriously.
Since the fish are coming tomorrow... I'm scaping it right now!! Just sent the hubby (fiance really) out for super glue for the moss, pellia, and anubias. And my neighbors are giving me dirty looks as I happily, and a bit maniacally, smash rocks to tiny bits with a hammer.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:52 PM   #11
xenxes
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldachleich View Post
How weird... the square in the middle appealed to me to...
I thought it was brilliant till I realised I wouldnt see it.
It would be nice as potting soil holder though. For a specific crypt or something.
I loved the glass. the .4 gallons of extra space, the raised up bit, and the light. They were all nice touches for such a tiny tank. I'm still looking around I may end up breaking down and ordering the azoo filter. I just wish shipping wasnt so expensive...
Go!! Get one! Now!! lol... Its on sale right now by 4 whole dollars. Just enough to make me feel better.
When those rilis start breeding I would love to get some babies from you. seriously.
Since the fish are coming tomorrow... I'm scaping it right now!! Just sent the hubby (fiance really) out for super glue for the moss, pellia, and anubias. And my neighbors are giving me dirty looks as I happily, and a bit maniacally, smash rocks to tiny bits with a hammer.
Yeah that's what I wanted to do too, use the square for potting (it's a little deeper), but then thought it'd be better to utilize the whole space for plants, given how little it is already.

I will try my best the breed the rilis they are culls though but from the pictures looked fairly blue. I want to see if more red striping returns in generation 1 (the blue + red looks amazing).

Are you using soil? If so, I sift the big pieces out, bake mine at 350F for 15mins, let cool. In addition to some gravel, put a layer of fine sand on so nothing escapes (also makes it easier to plant things so they stay). Shrimp are more sensitive to ammonia that may leech out, but should be okay if heavily planted. You also don't want air bubbles, I have maybe 2-3 Malaysian trumpet snails in mine aerating the substrate. Oh, and use DARK substrate so your shrimps' coloration are better.

Is your fiance into the hobby too? Lucky you can just send him out for stuff.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:15 PM   #12
xenxes
Planted Tank Guru

Hmm I need one of those filters too.. Azoo Palm seems the smallest, is it discontinued? I don't see it on Azoo's website, only being sold on drfostersmith. 3" x 3-1/2" x 5", 6 gph, $8.99+$5.99 shipping.

Amazon has the Mignon 60. 3.2 x 3.8 x 6 inches, 16 gph, $13ish shipped with Prime.

The marina cubus is 5.9 inches long, 5.9 inches wide, 5.9 inches high, so mignon may unlevel it, unless the dimensions are accounting for the to hangover section too... it'll probably also be fine.
Old 01-27-2012, 04:25 PM   #13
Eldachleich
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Yeah that's what I wanted to do too, use the square for potting (it's a little deeper), but then thought it'd be better to utilize the whole space for plants, given how little it is already.

I will try my best the breed the rilis they are culls though but from the pictures looked fairly blue. I want to see if more red striping returns in generation 1 (the blue + red looks amazing).

Are you using soil? If so, I sift the big pieces out, bake mine at 350F for 15mins, let cool. In addition to some gravel, put a layer of fine sand on so nothing escapes (also makes it easier to plant things so they stay). Shrimp are more sensitive to ammonia that may leech out, but should be okay if heavily planted. You also don't want air bubbles, I have maybe 2-3 Malaysian trumpet snails in mine aerating the substrate. Oh, and use DARK substrate so your shrimps' coloration are better.

Is your fiance into the hobby too? Lucky you can just send him out for stuff.
I adore the red and blue rilis more than any other kind!!
I dont think I'm using soil as its mianly going to be fissidens and anubias nana petite. Well now that I'm thinking of it that tiny sword I have might look nice.
I'm not sure... I can put the shrimp in my hate tank If I have ammonia issues.. And move them after its settled.
Well see... I'm still struggling with my hardscape.
I already have black sand prepared and waiting to go for them!! Cant wait to see the yellows in person.
Old 01-27-2012, 04:32 PM   #14
Eldachleich
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Hmm I need one of those filters too.. Azoo Palm seems the smallest, is it discontinued? I don't see it on Azoo's website, only being sold on drfostersmith. 3" x 3-1/2" x 5", 6 gph, $8.99+$5.99 shipping.

Amazon has the Mignon 60. 3.2 x 3.8 x 6 inches, 16 gph, $13ish shipped with Prime.

The marina cubus is 5.9 inches long, 5.9 inches wide, 5.9 inches high, so mignon may unlevel it, unless the dimensions are accounting for the to hangover section too... it'll probably also be fine.
For now I'm setting up a small sponge filter using the prefilter sponge on one of my nano's...
I'm out of cash right now.
Its birthday season. My entire family, all 12 of us, have our birthdays in between December 17th and February 6th. With Christmas in the middle o it all were normally all broke in the winter. lol
So I have no money to even think of ordering or buying locally. Shame really. So much that I want..

Oh... its my birthday today!!! xD!!
I never celebrate it much in real life so I figured I might as well go nuts online.

I'm gonna play around a while with different filters. I might order the palm from drfostersmith. Even if I dont use it on this tank it would still be super useful...
I cant find info on whether or not the palm is discontinued.
I came to the conclusion that the 60 and the palm were the same filter.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:35 PM   #15
xenxes
Planted Tank Guru

Lol happy bday! The sponge filter is fine for shrimp, a lot of ppl only use a sponge filter. Where did you get yours? I might just get one of those instead.

Yeah the dimensions of the 2 are very similar, but the gallon per hour are very different. I think the Palm is a different model. I just started a 2 gallon bowl ($9-10 @ Walmart), not sure if I should filter that too or what to use, do you do water changes or clean your 4g betta bowl often?