Loose Llanos Biotope - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 01-21-2012, 12:19 AM   #31
allaboutfish
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

so did you end up doing the light from HD, and do you add ferts and is that light 30 something watts too?
allaboutfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2012, 12:24 AM   #32
sevenyearnight
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by allaboutfish View Post
so did you end up doing the light from HD, and do you add ferts and is that light 30 something watts too?
I went with the white Lights of America shop light from Walmart. The bulbs are 32 watts each. I'm dosing pretty much E.I., a bit less, and the DIY CO2 is just sugar and yeast with a wooden diffuser.

Ram Biotope
sevenyearnight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:28 AM   #33
allaboutfish
Planted Tank Enthusiast

what kind of ferts? i have almost the same light but i got one at home depot thats just silver and its around the same watts. i dose macros and micros and soon carbon. hopefully my plants will look like yours
Old 01-21-2012, 12:35 AM   #34
sevenyearnight
Planted Tank Obsessed

Is it really shiny silver? I wanted to get that one, but I didn't. Which bulbs did you buy?

For nitrate I dose Stump Remover KNO3.
For phosphorus I dose Seachem Flourish Phosphorus.
For potassium I dose Morton Salt Substitute.
For micros I dose Seachem Flourish Comprehensive.
For calcium and magnesium (I use RO/DI) I dose a little bit of Seachem Reef Fusion 1, since I have it for my marine tanks already.
For KH alkalinity I dose baking soda.

Ram Biotope
Old 01-21-2012, 01:28 AM   #35
allaboutfish
Planted Tank Enthusiast

yup shiny silver, and i went over to the light bulbs and they had daylight T8 6,500K 30 something watts and i got 2. hopefully mine will look as good as yours with just the macros and micros and carbon, haha. i love how the sagitiria looks like that, bc my pygmy chain sword looks no where like that, yet.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:32 AM   #36
sevenyearnight
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thank you
I didn't have much luck with the chain sword

Ram Biotope
Old 01-21-2012, 01:36 AM   #37
allaboutfish
Planted Tank Enthusiast

maybe i should switch then. i love the brazilian pennywort, ill have to make WTB thread soon
thanks!!
Old 01-21-2012, 02:14 AM   #38
sevenyearnight
Planted Tank Obsessed

Sagittaria is indestructible lol

Ram Biotope
Old 01-22-2012, 08:12 PM   #39
Doc7
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

What are your floating plants?

I want to have some in my 40B but I have quite a bit of surface movement from the filter and think they would just get tossed under water and blown around, that or smushed against the front glass. Additionally my lights are right on top of water so the plants wouldn't get any as they wouldn't stay under.

I want a mass of roots like that in my "planted quarantine" someday though : )
New Jersey? Nearby State? Join the New Jersey Aquatic Gardeners Club!! Meetups, Swaps, Local Members to discuss your tank, issues, and accomplishments!
NJAGC Member since 11/2011
Doc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:22 PM   #40
bpb
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

I have your exact same problem in one of my tanks. The water movement at the surface pushes the dwarf water lettuce away from the light which is a 2 bulb strip that sits directly on the glass cover. It gets very little light but is real hardy. I mainly keep it as food for the Buenos aires teteas. The prefer it over other plants in the tank. It's ugly because the roots break off from the flow and the leaves are yellow and half nibbled on, but it serves its purpose. In my smaller tank with higher light, no plant eaters and a calm surface, it grows like mad. I haven't done a water change in a month in my HEAVILY stocked 10 gallon and the nitrates are only 10ppm. I attribute that to floating plants.
bpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:12 AM   #41
sevenyearnight
Planted Tank Obsessed

The floaters are Frog bit and dwarf water lettuce.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

Ram Biotope
Old 02-10-2012, 04:22 AM   #42
sevenyearnight
Planted Tank Obsessed

We got the baby Rams yesterday, and straying from the biotope, cockatoo cichlids as well.
Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1328851316097.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  37.1 KB
Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1328851335725.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  36.9 KB
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvJm...e_gdata_player

Ram Biotope
Old 03-07-2012, 02:27 AM   #43
Lovin Fish
Algae Grower

This has got to be my most favorite tank I have ever seen! I have seen thousands!!!! Turst me! Millions! This one just has something about it that makes me stare at it everytime I come to this forum! If you don't mind, I would love to save this picture to my desktop. It is just that gorgeous!

I am wondering if you would mind telling me how you made your wooden DIY co2 expeller and the sugar and yeast? I have seen different ways through researching online, but your tank is so amazing, I think I'd like to go your route with your home-made Co2 diffuser. I am setting up another tank...this time a 75 gallon low-tech planted. I haven't gotten anything for it yet...it is just a bare tank without a top, filter light or anything else!

Anyway, thanks for sharing this gorgeous design!!!
Old 03-07-2012, 11:52 PM   #44
sevenyearnight
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovin Fish View Post
This has got to be my most favorite tank I have ever seen! I have seen thousands!!!! Turst me! Millions! This one just has something about it that makes me stare at it everytime I come to this forum! If you don't mind, I would love to save this picture to my desktop. It is just that gorgeous!

I am wondering if you would mind telling me how you made your wooden DIY co2 expeller and the sugar and yeast? I have seen different ways through researching online, but your tank is so amazing, I think I'd like to go your route with your home-made Co2 diffuser. I am setting up another tank...this time a 75 gallon low-tech planted. I haven't gotten anything for it yet...it is just a bare tank without a top, filter light or anything else!

Anyway, thanks for sharing this gorgeous design!!!
Oh my! Thank you so much! What a great compliment that you would want to use it for your desktop.

I've actually stopped using DIY, but I bought the wood diffuser in the marine section of Petco, it's limewood I believe. The yeast and sugar was just the standard recipe in a big plastic apple juice jug.
Because the temp right now is 82-83°, I stopped using the CO2, I'm using the Brightwell Aquatics Florin-Axis, and I may have to raise the light a bit.

But as far as updates go, I took the Cockatoo Apistos out, and my stocking list is now the 18 Cardinal Tetras, and the 2 German Rams, Hans and Edelweiss.

Ram Biotope
Old 03-08-2012, 12:44 AM   #45
Lovin Fish
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenyearnight View Post
Oh my! Thank you so much! What a great compliment that you would want to use it for your desktop.

I've actually stopped using DIY, but I bought the wood diffuser in the marine section of Petco, it's limewood I believe. The yeast and sugar was just the standard recipe in a big plastic apple juice jug.
Because the temp right now is 82-83°, I stopped using the CO2, I'm using the Brightwell Aquatics Florin-Axis, and I may have to raise the light a bit.

But as far as updates go, I took the Cockatoo Apistos out, and my stocking list is now the 18 Cardinal Tetras, and the 2 Gerrman Rams, Hans and Edelweiss.

Since you have switched your method, how is your tank re-acting? Looking the same or has it changed? Do you like it better or miss the old way? Sorry for all the questions. I'm just curious how things are going with this beauty of a tank!