How do you feed otos so other fish don't eat everything first?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 01-17-2012, 07:12 PM   #1
glegleglo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question

How do you feed otos so other fish don't eat everything first?

I'm currently in the middle of rescaping my tank. I have minimal plants & lighting in a 30G while I wait for a shipment. I currently have, among other things, 3 otos and a (pond?) snail. They like to usually stick together, but when I try to feed the otos lettuce, the snail gorges on it. Also, when I try to feed them algea wafers, I have some neon tetras that go nuts on them (even after I have fed them). So how can I ensure that my otos are eating? Also, is it true that snails can self-fertilize? Should I worry that my solitary snail will become 50? I do like him (it's pretty entertaining) but I don't want a million of them, esp. if it means they'll eat all my new plants.
glegleglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2012, 07:30 PM   #2
touch of sky
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

I take a slice of cucumber, and weight it down. I actually use one of the metal bands that are wrapped around the base of plants. I just straighten it out and stick it into the side of the slice of cucumber, then drop into the tank. Kind of looks like a cucumber lollipop My otos just love cucumbers.
touch of sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:13 PM   #3
rustbucket
Planted Tank Obsessed

I feed the otos after the lights have been out for awhile so the other fish don't see it, (snails will still get it) or I feed otos at the same time I am feeding the other fish, they are usually to interested in their own food to bother the oto cats.

Also as mentioned above, slices of cuke or what not are loved by oto's and the other fish (at least mine) are not that interested in it, so the o cats have plenty of grazing time, as for snails, just put in a piece big enough for snail and o cat to share, mine don't mind!.

As for the snails, I know trumpets are asexual but I don't think ponds and ramshorns are, you might wanna verify that though.
rustbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:46 PM   #4
christian_cowgirlGSR
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)

You might try Repashy's Soilent Green food. See msjinkzd's thread here for more info. There's also a (closed) thread here on tpt somewhere where mr. repashy asked for testers and got their feedback. You could look there for more info as well. Repashy's gel foods are supposed to last long enough that the otos can get to it.

I'm anxiously awaiting my order of the food to come in so I can try it with my fish...
christian_cowgirlGSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:47 PM   #5
msjinkzd
Rachel O'Leary

PTrader: (204/100%)
Send a message via AIM to msjinkzd

I was just going to suggest a gel/grazer diet. Not to pimp what I am selling, but its what I use to feed my otos upon import. Its phenomenal.
msjinkzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:42 AM   #6
reignOfFred
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have two feeding periods, daytime for the rasboras and gouramis, nighttime for the corys, kuhlis, and otos. I find this an effective way for all the fish to get their filk without overfeeding any.
reignOfFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 04:12 AM   #7
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Use a pc of Plastic riser tube that is used with under gravel fitters (PetSmart). Place one end on the spot you want your bottom feeders to eat. Place the flake food in the other end that is at the surface. After is sinks, remove the tube. The food will be in one spot on the bottom. Fish that feed in higher parts of the water won't bother it.....usually.
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:38 PM   #8
glegleglo
Algae Grower

Ah, I tried feeding after the lights went off and as of now their lettuce remains untouched (though I think I see the snail making a run, I mean slow crawl, for it). I will try again tonight with cucumber. If that doesn't try I will surely try Soylent Greens, haha, and the plastic riser tube. I also just got a huge shipment of plants today, so hopefully the otos will want to come out of their cave. Thank you all for your advice!
Old 01-19-2012, 12:56 AM   #9
touch of sky
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Only thing my otos have gone for is cucumber. I hope yours like it, too!
touch of sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:39 AM   #10
bpb
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I drop a slice of cucumber or an algae wafer in the 10 gallon once a week or so. it is thickly planted and not a spec of algae to be seen. There are two otos, 3 cardinals, and a ton of baby guppies and endlers in the tank. The otos have little round bellies and have been alive for about 6 months. Never once have I seen them eat or graze though. I think they stay full on biofilm, and the trumpet snails and shrimp are eating all the greens I throw in. I literally only started trying to feed them like a month ago though. They have stayed fat cleaning the glass, plants, and substrate. I've heard of people keeping otos alive for years on tank occurring algae and biofilm alone. Once they're acclimated they're incredibly hardy.
bpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:37 AM   #11
glegleglo
Algae Grower

I will definitely try the cucumber! I've seen one oto for like 2 minutes, in about a month. The three otos used to always graze and swim around, but since a lot of plants died my tank looks barren and I think they're afraid to be out. I miss seeing them. I just want to know they're okay! Oh man, I feel like my mom did when I went to college, lol.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:14 PM   #12
kdogg
Algae Grower

I tie boiled cucumber to a rock with an elastic band. They don't take after it right away but after a day or to they graze off it.
kdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:04 AM   #13
digitallinh
Planted Member

Not sure if this was mentioned, but veggie clip high on the glass with blanched veggies (I prefer zucchini)
digitallinh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
neon tetra, oto, otos and snails, snail