When will we see Bucephalandra? - Page 5
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 01-08-2012, 10:06 PM   #61
Crispino L Ramos
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (456/100%)

"Powiedział pan, że zapewniają wysoką dwutlenku węgla. Jak dajesz Bucephalandra wysoki poziom dwutlenku węgla? Innymi słowy, ile dwutlenku węgla dajesz roślin.Quartz kamieni musi wyglądać pięknie jako substratu. Chciałbym wiedzieć, gdzie kupić kwarc żwiru w Arizonie. Widzę kwarcu na pustyni, ale to w ochronie ziemi.Dziękujemy za udzielenie nam więcej informacji na temat akwarium Bucephalandra."

You said that you provide high carbon dioxide. How do you give your Bucephalandra high level of carbon dioxide? In other words, how much carbon dioxide do you give the plants.

Quartz stones must look beautiful as a substrate. I wish I know where to buy quartz gravel in Arizona. I see quartz in the desert but it's in protected land.

Thank you for giving us more information about your Bucephalandra aquarium.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:28 PM   #62
vasteq
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

I set Co2 level based on the contents of KH.

I have a constant content of KH, and CO2 dosing by the computer (PH probe measures the pH contents and sends it to computer. The computer is connected to the solenoid. Solenoid valve opens or closes as necessary) I set ph range that CO2 content were located in the green field. For example if I have KH=8, then i set ph to 6.9-7.2. To dissolve CO2 i use a separate filter located behind the main filter.

PS. Quartz stone - I mean a small gravel, not big stones. Bucephalandra are attached to big pieces of lava or wood.
vasteq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:28 AM   #63
Crispino L Ramos
Planted Tank Guru

[Quote -To dissolve CO2 i use a separate filter located behind the main filter. - Quote]

For your Bucepha aquarium, you must be using an inline CO2 reactor ran by a separate external canister filter (a total of two external canister filters).

Thanks for showing us the chart and the thorough description of your CO2 dosing. I admire your computerized system.

By the way, where in Poland do you live? I have a college instructor (Slawomir Wozniak) who is also a principal dancer at Teatr Wielke.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:35 AM   #64
vasteq
Algae Grower

My CO2 reactor was inspired by this here:
http://www.arowana.com.vn/forum/f182...-co2-7588.html
I did it using a filter (prefilter) used in the system of osmosis (but this isn't my photo, I show for example):

Co2 is fed by tube visible in the picture.
The filter can be used also for biological filtering and can be filled with ceramic cartridge, which will also reduce getting the undissolved CO2 into the aquarium (in the form of air bubbles).

I use this reactor because it can dissolve the CO2 with 100% efficiency without any loss. I have a small bottle 1.5kg, and I give a lot of Co2 for 2 tanks, if I had big losses I would have a monthly refill bottle, but on this way I do it every 3-4 months on average. And this is the main reason. I lived in Poznan 7 years, now I changed my place of residence and moved to a small village. The Big Theater (Teatr Wielki) is in Warsaw.

Last edited by vasteq; 01-09-2012 at 10:44 AM..
Old 01-17-2012, 04:26 PM   #65
gordonrichards
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (332/99%)
Send a message via Yahoo to gordonrichards

None are being commercially cultivated. In about a year everyone that currently has them should be able to sell splits in the forums. After 4-5 years they will be more common.
gordonrichards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:01 PM   #66
vasteq
Algae Grower

Bucephalandra sp. Sexy Pink:

Bucephalandra sp. Red Gaia:

Old 01-17-2012, 11:29 PM   #67
chad320
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)

Vasteq, where are you getting yours from? Are they local or are you importing? I have seen a few sites selling them.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:43 AM   #68
Crispino L Ramos
Planted Tank Guru

[QUOTE=ADA;1679691]
My dad was born there, and my Grandfather served in Borneo as chief of police for many years after the war. He was made a Tun, which is the highest honor that can be bestowed by the Borneo Royal Family. (Technically that makes me a Tun).. QUOTE]

Do you know any relative or friends who can translate some Malaysian words (into English words) used in naming species of Bucephalandra?

Such as: batang kawa, batang lemanak, kayulapis, simunjan, kalimantan.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:50 AM   #69
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Crispino I believe " batang kawa, batang lemanak, kayulapis, simunjan, kalimantan" are the names of the places these plants are found.

When you read see the name Sokan 4, I understand that to mean 3 additional var. were found in Sokan region.

I think this is a better way to refer to these plants than sales nam,res like green shine.
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 04:36 PM   #70
chiefroastbeef
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonrichards View Post
None are being commercially cultivated. In about a year everyone that currently has them should be able to sell splits in the forums. After 4-5 years they will be more common.

I currently have 10 Bucephalandra plants in my tank,and man do they grow painfully slow... About the same rate as anubias, depending on the species.

I contacted the author of this blog, who has traveled Borneo extensively photographing Buce. species. According to him, there are plenty of Buce. plants to go around, and the currently demand should not drive the species to extinction from its habitat. I know that the Japanese and some Hong Kongers are hard at work trying to cultivate these, I hope you are right in that they will be more common in the next few years. Because these plants are absolutely BEAUTIFUL.
chiefroastbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 04:41 PM   #71
shrimpnmoss
Shrimpsanity

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to shrimpnmoss

roastbeef.....how much are buces in HK?
Old 01-18-2012, 04:43 PM   #72
chiefroastbeef
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADA View Post
OMG.. I'm starting to get pangs of desire for these little plants..

I hate that they're being taken from their natural habitat in bulk numbers though.. it concerns me very much. Borneo has a very special place in my heart. My dad was born there, and my Grandfather served in Borneo as chief of police for many years after the war. He was made a Tun, which is the highest honor that can be bestowed by the Borneo Royal Family. (Technically that makes me a Tun)..

Anyway.. enough rambling.. does anyone have a small specimen they could send me? (One that has been cultivated, not kidnapped!)
The author of this blog claims that there are simply too much Buce. for it to ever become an threat to its population. I know that is only one man's opinion, but if you go through his blog, you'll find that he knows his stuff and has travel quite extensively in the region: http://junglemikey.blogspot.com/

This is his reply when I sent him an email with the same habitat concern:

Hi Sam,

Do not worry. Bucep. population is more than few billions here. It's just like grasses...too many of them. Population is very very big.

Mike
Old 01-18-2012, 04:47 PM   #73
chiefroastbeef
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpnmoss View Post
roastbeef.....how much are buces in HK?

If I shop on the for sale fish forums frequented by HK fish hobbyists, the average price is around $30 for a plant. The only Buce. species that is considerably more expensive is "brownie red," which can sell in HK for $60 for a plant the size of half a chicken nugget. I do not know the wholesale prices here in HK.

Just remember, the Buce. species are very small plants. You pay ALOT of money for plants that are no longer than your thumb.

Better to just collect Crypts, haha.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:28 PM   #74
vasteq
Algae Grower

Bucephalandra Velvet Leaf 2:

Bucephalandra Red Shoot 2

Bucephalandra Metalic Wave - grown like that from small piece:
Few month ago:

Now:

Some buce have a unique ability to change colour during the bending of the leaf. But this can see only on fresh water leaf. Old leaves and those wich grown on emers can't do that. Maybe I could try to take a photo this phenomenon/ Realy amazing - you could see even 3 kind of colour on one leaf (yelow, green, red).
Old 01-20-2012, 07:13 PM   #75
vasteq
Algae Grower

Here it is:
Bucephalandra Tricolor:

Bucephalandra Midnight Blue: