Repashy Superfoods Discussion thread! - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Sponsors > Invertebrates by Msjinkzd

Old 01-16-2012, 01:53 PM   #16
msjinkzd
Rachel O'Leary

PTrader: (205/100%)
Send a message via AIM to msjinkzd

The nutritional breakdowns, and the press release, can be found at this thread: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/in...ow-vendor.html

Quality is determined by the ingredients, binders, and ratios contained. Its a science, one that is very confusing.
msjinkzd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2012, 03:54 PM   #17
msjinkzd
Rachel O'Leary

Please note, I just realized I can reduce pricing a little. Anyone who had ordered will get a partial refund to show the adjusted rates
2 oz packet $7 = $3.50/oz = ~makes approximately 1 lb of food
4 oz packet $10 = $2.50/oz =~ makes approximately 2 lb of food
8 oz packet $18 = $2.25/oz = ~makes approximately 4lb of food
16 oz packet $28 = $1.75/oz = ~makes approximately 8 lb of food
64 oz packet = $60 = $.94/oz =~makes approximately 32 lb of food[/B]
Old 01-16-2012, 04:12 PM   #18
fresh.salty
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

Those numbers sort of make it confusing. I can only relate to dry weight of pellet, flake etc. So in my head should I keep the dry weight in mind when determining how long a package would last me?
fresh.salty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2012, 04:38 PM   #19
msjinkzd
Rachel O'Leary

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresh.salty View Post
Those numbers sort of make it confusing. I can only relate to dry weight of pellet, flake etc. So in my head should I keep the dry weight in mind when determining how long a package would last me?

I will break it down further:

2 oz packet costs $7. This will make approximately 1 lb of food when reconstituted (I can feed about 100 tanks with this amount).

4 oz packet $10 and makes approximately 2 lb of food
8 oz packet $18 and makes approximately 4lb of food
16 oz packet $28 and makes approximately 8 lb of food
64 oz packet = $60 = and makes approximately 32 lb of food

The typical ratio is 1:3, powder to water. The reconstituted amount (I have it listed in lbs) is how you would compare cost breakdown to a pelleted or flake food.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:43 PM   #20
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

I'm excited!!

It's "little" steps like this that can end up making a huge difference in our ability to get captive-bred populations of popular but endangered fish going, and hopefully eventually take pressure off of them in the wild.
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

lauraleellbp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2012, 04:57 PM   #21
msjinkzd
Rachel O'Leary

I agree! I am excited to be able to supply the herp lines too. I am going to be ordering some super pig and a few others to have in stock for my friends who are working with those critters as well
Old 01-16-2012, 04:58 PM   #22
fresh.salty
Wannabe Guru

Thanks Rachel but...

If I already feed my fish a quality food they eat and assuming they eat it all, do I compare the dry weight of this food to my current one. For example, 1 oz of my current food to 1 dry oz of this food?

I buy my flake food 1 lb at a time mail order. Pellets for bottom feeders, I haven't found one in bulk that I really like so I still buy that from the LFS.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:00 PM   #23
msjinkzd
Rachel O'Leary

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresh.salty View Post
Thanks Rachel but...

If I already feed my fish a quality food they eat and assuming they eat it all, do I compare the dry weight of this food to my current one. For example, 1 oz of my current food to 1 dry oz of this food?

I buy my flake food 1 lb at a time mail order. Pellets for bottom feeders, I haven't found one in bulk that I really like so I still buy that from the LFS.
You would compare the reconstituted amounts.

So 2 oz of dry would turn into 1 lb so 2 oz of dry equals 1 lb of flake (for cost comparisons)
Old 01-16-2012, 05:12 PM   #24
fresh.salty
Wannabe Guru

Do those comparisons hold true for nutritional values as well? If so those are some impressive numbers.

For instance, dry 2 oz of these foods equals 1 lb of many flake foods, nutrition wise?

Of course cost has to be a factor but what prompted me to ask is to know how long a certain quantity would last me and understand how much to order.

Sorry if I'm a little slow on this. lol
Old 01-16-2012, 05:13 PM   #25
Vesh
Planted Member

PTrader: (24/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by msjinkzd View Post
Here are some examples of different sized fish eating the foods.
Wow! What these gobies are?
Vesh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2012, 05:29 PM   #26
msjinkzd
Rachel O'Leary

Those are Stiphodon percnopterygionus

And as far as nutrional breakdown, its based on teh powder. here is Allen's explanation of how the water effects the food (from a thread on another site where I am also a vendor):
Quote:
Hi Everyone,

I would just like to clarify a few things since I personally developed the formulas......

First, as far as nutritional analysis, with, or without water. The water content is irrelevant. All scientific comparisons are made using DMB "Dry Matter Basis" Products that are sold premixed with water are required for labeling purposes to report the moisture content of the product. Dry products must report on their labels the nutrient levels "As sold" Mazuri provides both levels in their secondary publications for convenience so that it can be compared to hydrated meat products.

Most living organisms are 80-85% water.

Saying that water reduces the level of protein in a food is silly. That is like saying if you have a glass of water with your meal, that you are reducing your protein intake. The water level is irrelevant. it does not effect digestion of nutrients and is actually a lot more natural than feeding something that is dehydrated because it has to pull water from whatever is eating it saturate it before it can be digested. A naturally hydrated product is much easier to digest for this reason.

A dried flake food, a second or two after it hits the water, is saturated to the same level as the gel. A pellet is slower to absorb water, but quickly will also be 2/3 water. The fact that pellets do not absorb water quickly is one of the negative things about pellets. Consuming dry food is not natural for fish, reptiles or even us.

Secondly, I do not use gelatin in my formulas. Gelatin is primarily collagen, a poorly digestible protein. Gelatin also has to be refrigerated to "set" the gel. My formula uses a combination of soluble plant fiber gums and I have come up with a combination that is less than 5% of the formula. This allows me to use no glutens, starches, or any other poorly digestible ingredients in my formulas.

I am actually finishing up my press release tomorrow, as well as updating my website, so a lot more information about the products will be available very soon. The official release of the line is February 1st, so Ted jumped the gun as far as me having much information online, or having the final formulas and analysis on my site. I worked with quite a few breeders and hobbyists developing the line and using their useful feedback to fine tune the formulas and it was a big help. Those of you who might know me from the reptile hobby will already know how important real world breeder and keeper feedback is to me. I spent a lot of time working on this new line, and think that if you guys give it a try, you will find it has a lot to offer. I do not claim that it will replace flake or pellet foods, but I do believe that in many situations, it is better than either.

It really is easy to make, and am quite interested in hearing feedback of all kinds, from anyone who tries it. I wouldn't have moved forward on this project if it wasn't for the encouragement of the people who tested it. I never rest, and consider my products under constant development, I have spent considerable time researching and sourcing my ingredients and have a no expense spared philosophy when it comes to selection.

Thanks for listening! Allen Repashy
Hope that helps

I can honestly tell you, I ahve been approached by numerous dried goods distributors, supplements, invertebrate foods, etc. The only other brand I have even considered (and still love) is Xtreme foods.

It takes a LOT for me to endorse a product. I have been makingmy own foods for 5 years. These are just plain superior because of the binders. I have used probably every food on the market. This is the first one that I felt strongly enougha bout to actual endorse publically and carry.

Is it perfect for every application? Probably not. Is it fantastic for fry, invertebrates, grazers, specialized feeders? YES. Its an exceptional way to supplement your fish or invertebrates.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:30 PM   #27
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

Quote:
I agree! I am excited to be able to supply the herp lines too. I am going to be ordering some super pig and a few others to have in stock for my friends who are working with those critters as well
How much would your price on a 5lb bag of CGD be?
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

lauraleellbp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2012, 05:34 PM   #28
msjinkzd
Rachel O'Leary

I am still waiting for the lists from Allen. He added a few new herp lines too. As soon as I get the lists, I will post it up.

This is really exciting for me. I dont' remember the last time I believed to wholly in ap roduct.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:44 PM   #29
fresh.salty
Wannabe Guru

Well I finally followed your link in post #16 that lists the contents and values of each. lol

I see in some of your pictures fish I think of as mid-water feeders eating from the bottom. My Cardinals for instance never seem to eat from the substrate even though a good portion of the daily food sinks to the bottom by design. I have a full load of bottom feeders in all my tanks.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:52 PM   #30
Lucille
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
Its the same developer, but a different line of foods. This food actually became a concept because some fishkeepers took teh tadpole diet and tried it out with fish. Allen has spent the past year refining the ingredients and formulating diets for fish.

Not sure how many know it, but while Allen is world famous for his work with reptiles and nutrition, he was a fish keeper first!

This was a progression based on his passion for high quality foods. I k now I have spent over half a year working with him on these, as have a few other key people.

I can also order his reptile line of foods and supplements, for any who are interested.
I don't have cresteds, but I know that it supposed to be an incredibly good food.
Lucille is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.