Vancouver Aquatic Hobbyist Club
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Canada

Old 05-31-2005, 07:47 PM   #1
joan
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Vancouver Aquatic Hobbyist Club

I'm hoping to make the monthly meeting this Wed, June 1st and take out a membership. I believe amber2461 is a member, but are any other PT folks members of the VAHC &/or planning to attend?

This meeting should be of particular interest to us as the talk will be on planted tanks, comparing high maintenance to low maintenance approaches.

The June 1st meeting program:

7:30-8:00 Group discussion/question and answer period.
8:00-9:00 Spencer Rozell, will speak on planted tanks - comparing a high maintenance approach with a low maintenance one.
9:00-9:15 Break
9:15-10:00 Our regular mini auction of members' surplus fish, plants and equipment.

Also, according to this thread at BCAquaria you can purchase dry ferts from this fellow and if you contact him prior to the meeting he will put together an order for you to pick up there. I believe he actually is Spencer Rozell, the keynote speaker, if I've followed the thread at BCAquaria correctly.

So there you have it. The VAHC seem like a great organization and I'm looking forward to checking it out. This meeting seems the perfect one for us planted tank folks who might be interested. I hope I can make it and I hope to see some of you there.
joan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2005, 08:49 PM   #2
joan
Planted Tank Obsessed

I've been in touch with Spencer via e-mail and he's bringing me some ferts to tonight's meeting. I don't know if it would be too late to contact him now to get some there tonight, but he is local and this offers a very convenient option for those of us in the Greater Vancouver/Lower Mainland area to purchase bulk fertilizers.
Old 06-03-2005, 07:57 PM   #3
Dale D

Thumbs up

Spencer is a nice guy to deal with. I got some things off of him at the last VAHC meeting, but, have been too busy setting up tanks for other people to get time to try them out yet.
Dale D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 09:41 PM   #4
joan
Planted Tank Obsessed

Good to hear.

Spencer was very nice and I'm trying the ferts out now, so we'll see how they work out. This definitely looks like a great local source for fertilizers for those of us in the Lower Mainland/Fraser Valley, folks. As for other Canadians, I'm not sure about his shipping rates, but I'd check his site at the link above and look into it.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:56 PM   #5
shuks
Planted Tank Enthusiast

hay guys. I live in vancouver, BC, and I'm 18 years old and I would like to join this club.. can someone give me more info on where it takes place and what times... my e-mail is shuks_77@hotmail.com
shuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 01:08 AM   #6
Melody
Algae Grower

Send a message via Yahoo to Melody

I have never encountered a more open and friendly club, regardless of the theme, than the VAHC. I can't get into Vancouver for the meetings, but I've met many members along the way and never cease to be impressed with their relaxed, yet serious approach to the hobby. Even though I'm not involved in person, any time that I've contacted admin. I have been treated like an old friend who is just as much a member as anyone else.

I was pleasantly surprised to find a full range of ages within the membership, and there are far more young hobbyists than I'd thought. I know you'll feel welcome and at ease when you get there, but maybe you'll find someone from the club before then and can arrange to meet. Joan and yourself could always team up for a first meeting. :-) Guests are welcome if you'd like to visit first.

You'll be speaking to Rick about Membership, and if experience dictates he'll be more than happy to help you in any way that he can. You can find all of the information that you need here:

http://www.fishopolis.com/vahc/

Looking forward to meeting you at an auction .