What are your other hobbies? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 01-13-2012, 02:31 PM   #16
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Oh, and DogFish, that's a wonderful looking Catahoula. I used to play with dogs too...

EVIL Camera Pimp member #1
NIKON Pimp Club member #012
SunSun Pimp Club member #069

20L OEBT/Super Tiger/PFR Tank 20L Yellow Neo tank

Nubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2012, 02:51 PM   #17
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Thanks "Travis" (Calahoula) is my 3rd.

I really like the leg work pic. Your dog looked to be in great shape in that pic.
It can be hard to get a good working action pic. I love the focus your dog has. Great drive coming into the bite.

My "Elsa" can really get a lot of air for a Rotty. I'm on the other end of the long line.
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 03:01 PM   #18
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru

Yeah, Bandit, he had the most incredible drive in a dog I've ever seen. His obedience was so tight, he was a machine. He was a jumper too, had no problem hopping a 4 foot fence.

I am sad to this day we had to find a new home for him. He bit my son in the face. It wasn't really anyone's fault but after that we figured better safe than sorry. My son who was 3 at the time ran at the dog who was laying down outside, tripped, and fell on to him. Bandit gave a snap and a tooth caught my son right next to his nose and he needed 3 stitches to close it.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:05 PM   #19
Wicket_lfe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Wicket_lfe

I use to do a lot of software and hardware mods with Xboxs, lighting, leds, etc.

on and off with the planted tank of course. Otherwise i spend the rest of my time with Golf or finishing my MBA.
Wicket_lfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 03:29 PM   #20
thief
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

I'm pretty big into skiing, just bought some double tipped skis last year to learn how to do 360's and grind on rails. A Hill, I would love to try Speed Kiting someday, but do you need a license of some sort for that kind of stuff?
I used to do a lot of painting for mini figures and sell them on eBay (kinda of geeky but surprisingly made a lot of money for a 13 year old star wars fan at that time!).
But now with school I pretty much stick to sports and aquariums. Anybody play Hacky Sack and soccer my goal is to learn how to do free style soccer? Or collect money? Been collecting money from around the world since I was around 6 or 7 years old, it starting to become an impressive list of countries I've collected from so far!
Of course I'm looking to go into hobbies like Mountain Biking (which seems to be too expensive at the moment) and looking to venture into Scuba diving. I would love to dive in the famous underwater blue caves in to bahamas some day!
- ADA Mini-M Pimp #7 -

ADA Mini M: Recoil
thief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 03:35 PM   #21
Da Plant Man
Nerd Alert.

PTrader: (74/100%)

I would collect money, but I'm having a hard enough time collecting enough US currency

And if you are buying new skis, check out goodwill for skis, I found a pair of brand new twin tip skis (still had tag) and boots for only $60.

Sent from TapaTalk

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
Da Plant Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 03:36 PM   #22
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru

Mountain biking can be VERY expensive. I have a frame, just a frame, that cost me $1400. Wheels that cost $660. A seat that is $100. Seat post that is $75....ect....you can see it can be costly.

SCUBA is pretty pricey too when you are just getting started. Don't even start me on the cost of photography...like I said, all the cool hobbies are too expensive.

Old 01-13-2012, 04:04 PM   #23
tetra73
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

I try to minimize my hobbies until my life is somewhat in "order." Otherwise, they can become too much of a distraction and money drain. At the moment, it is photography--although I can make some money from it as well. Cycling is also my other hobby but I don't ride as much. Exercise is always good. And of course, planted aquarium.
tetra73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:13 PM   #24
manualfocus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (30/100%)

I'm a cyclist during the warmer months, and I snowboard during the winter season. Also an amateur photographer & DJ. I do graphic design as it sort of encompasses photography. Oh, and I love to ride scooters & motorcycles. Too many hobbies, too little cash flow.
manualfocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:15 PM   #25
manualfocus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetra73 View Post
Cycling is also my other hobby but I don't ride as much.
How is it to be a cyclist in NYC? I've always wanted to bring my bike to the city and ride but I feel like I'd just get run over by taxis and buses.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:23 PM   #26
monkeyfish
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

Nice mix of different hobbies, what an interesting group of people we have here. Keep em coming.
Quote:
Originally Posted by longbeach View Post
Painting Water Colors and doing occasional art shows. Fishing.. to eat. Striped Bass, croakers, spot, drum, seatrout

I used to draw all the time, spent 4 years in art school. Post up some pics of your work if you can, I'll get some up of mine later. I fish all the time, living lakefront makes it easy. I release mine though, not that i wouldn't eat them, i love to eat fish. Just would rather catch them again with more weight on them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoldfish View Post
Or maybe lawn-mowing.

If lawn mowing were a hobby it would by no means be cheap. A good ride on zero turn can run $20k+ easily!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thief View Post
I'm pretty big into skiing, just bought some double tipped skis last year to learn how to do 360's and grind on rails. A Hill, I would love to try Speed Kiting someday, but do you need a license of some sort for that kind of stuff?
I used to do a lot of painting for mini figures and sell them on eBay (kinda of geeky but surprisingly made a lot of money for a 13 year old star wars fan at that time!).
But now with school I pretty much stick to sports and aquariums. Anybody play Hacky Sack and soccer my goal is to learn how to do free style soccer? Or collect money? Been collecting money from around the world since I was around 6 or 7 years old, it starting to become an impressive list of countries I've collected from so far!
Of course I'm looking to go into hobbies like Mountain Biking (which seems to be too expensive at the moment) and looking to venture into Scuba diving. I would love to dive in the famous underwater blue caves in to bahamas some day!
Skiing, snowboarding, hacky, soccer, MTBing. All things i enjoy. Knee problems in HS ended my soccer career. Check online forums, Craigslist etc for a MTB used. I picked up a $1500 bike for just over $300 that way. Just needed a tune up.

As far as a hobby being geeky. When you get a little older you realize nothing that makes you happy is geeky, who cares what other people think.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:30 PM   #27
tetra73
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by manualfocus View Post
How is it to be a cyclist in NYC? I've always wanted to bring my bike to the city and ride but I feel like I'd just get run over by taxis and buses.

You have to ask??? How should I start? You know that New Yorkers are often self absorbed and think that they are the next best thing next to God...LOL We NYC cyclists are often the target for all sorts of crap. Early last year the NYPD was cracking down on us running through red lights, especially in Central Park when the park was close to traffics. I still have a red light ticket that I need to contest in the DMV late this month. It was issued last year April. Recently the NYPD was at it again. They were checking on us in Prospect Park for speeding!!!! Apparently, the NYPD thinks that we are all fit to race the Tour de France and get easily motoring along at 30mph. Because some local Brooklyn actress was hit by a speeding cyclist in Prospect Park. She didn't use the crosswalk. She was suing the city. I used to race too here. The more serious cyclists would head out to NJ on the weekends. During the weekends, especially when the weather is warmer, Central Park gets too crowded. Well, all I need is just exercise and I only do laps in the Prospect Park. I only live 20 minutes away from it. Spend 1 to 2 hours there and heading back home.

The West Side Bike lane is good and it can take you up from the City Hall t to the George Washington Bridge. I generally avoid riding inside the city. There are several avenues that have bike lanes. 6th ave is one. 5th ave too. Riding in the city during weekdays is bad. If you must ride inside the city, do it on weekends, early morning.
tetra73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:31 PM   #28
zergling
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)

My username should be a good indication of what my other "hobby" is. I'm just a so-so diamond player though, nothing special.

(It's Starcraft 2, for those that are not into RTS games)

For a while I really got into researching headphones and in-ear monitors at head-fi.org. The interest kinda died down after I got entry-level stuff for my needs.

I'm also a bit of a car geek and spend quite a bit of my free time reading car enthusiast sites.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:56 PM   #29
manualfocus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetra73 View Post
You have to ask??? How should I start? You know that New Yorkers are often self absorbed and think that they are the next best thing next to God...LOL We NYC cyclists are often the target for all sorts of crap. Early last year the NYPD was cracking down on us running through red lights, especially in Central Park when the park was close to traffics. I still have a red light ticket that I need to contest in the DMV late this month. It was issued last year April. Recently the NYPD was at it again. They were checking on us in Prospect Park for speeding!!!! Apparently, the NYPD thinks that we are all fit to race the Tour de France and get easily motoring along at 30mph. Because some local Brooklyn actress was hit by a speeding cyclist in Prospect Park. She didn't use the crosswalk. She was suing the city. I used to race too here. The more serious cyclists would head out to NJ on the weekends. During the weekends, especially when the weather is warmer, Central Park gets too crowded. Well, all I need is just exercise and I only do laps in the Prospect Park. I only live 20 minutes away from it. Spend 1 to 2 hours there and heading back home.

The West Side Bike lane is good and it can take you up from the City Hall t to the George Washington Bridge. I generally avoid riding inside the city. There are several avenues that have bike lanes. 6th ave is one. 5th ave too. Riding in the city during weekdays is bad. If you must ride inside the city, do it on weekends, early morning.
That honestly made me want to not go there to ride! I guess I should just stick to riding around here. If you're into riding long distances with thousands of people at a time, you should come to Iowa in at the beginning of August for RAGBRAI. It's a ton of fun.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:35 PM   #30
Eden Marel
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (38/100%)

Fishing, gaming, photography

Tags
cars, hobbies, hobby, napping, racing, trucks