Jake's Got A New High-Tech Ebi - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 01-13-2012, 02:30 AM   #16
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (428/100%)

chubbyone: This particular type of rock (typically dubbed "Lace Rock") is usually used in marine setups and is usually harvested from marine environments. So it's always best to clean them well in boiling water and to let the soak for several days.

Each piece is different, really, since the critters that grew on them when they were submerged weren't always the same. Also depends on the amount and type of sediment that's caked on the rock, as it's quite porous.

Not worried about pH fluctuations because I've used this type of rock for years. If anything, it buffers my pH a bit. I also use substrates that lower/buffer pH for shrimp. Neocaridina heteropoda are hardy and I've never really worried much about parameters with them.

If you're concerned about it? Clean it really well. Boil it. Soak it for a week in a bucket. Ditch that water, clean it again, soak it for another week. Then test the water parameters. That'll let you know if there's anything to worry about.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2012, 02:33 AM   #17
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

Dangit. Hit post before I was finished. Need to stop that habit.

My big question:

Anyone have thoughts on background plants? The Val. nana I had didn't survive the month-long wait in another tank so I'm on the hunt.

Thoughts on Vallisneria americana var. biwaensis? Val. spiralis? Blyxa auberti? Maybe a Bacopa of some sort?
Old 01-21-2012, 10:50 PM   #18
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

Time for an update!

The S. repens has grown a bit and I've trimmed and replanted some. UG has grown in really well on the lower portion of the slop and I'm quite happy with it.

A look at the front:

From the top:

Ordered some Bacopa monnieri that should arrive this week. Plan to put it in the back of the tank to get some extra height.

Yep, some of the S. repens is gaining height behind the rocks but I thing it really works for purposes of scale.

Hoping to flood and kickstart the cycle once the Bacopa arrives so I can order some PFRs.

Any thoughts on the lighting? Currently have three of the 13w Fluval lamps running but think I'll probably have to cut it down to to once I flood. Will that be enough? Am I still overdoing it? Opinions are definitely requested.

Thanks for checking it out!

Jake
Old 01-23-2012, 11:00 PM   #19
Geniusdudekiran
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)

Amazing work. When do you plan on filling it?
Old 01-23-2012, 11:06 PM   #20
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

Thanks!

As soon as the Bacopa arrives - hopefully Wednesday/Thursday.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:18 PM   #21
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

Got some great Bacopa monnieri from the SnS a couple weeks ago and it's growing in quite nicely as a background plant. Think it's going to easily grow out the top of the tank, which would be a welcome sight in my opinion.

A couple shots (note: the images are hosted on my own server and we're doing upgrades this weekend, so have patience if they disappear for a bit):

To the left in that first picture, you'll see some rigid plastic tubing. Had originally hoped to use lily pipes on this tank but work keeps getting in the way of ordering and making it happen. It's also tough to locate pipes that will work for a tank with these dimensions that don't cost $125. So I plan on trying to use a dremel to craft a spray bar and intake from the rigid tubing (also have clear hose from the HD). Anyone had success making their own spray bars? Just can't stomach the ugly green Eheim garb in a tank I've spent so much time trying to make beautiful.

A few friends have been over to check the tank out the past few days and they're all giving me grief over having a 10lb CO2 cylinder just for this tank. Overkill? Maybe.

Still toying with the lighting. Not sure what to do. Leave all three lights on? Just use two? Use two and have the third as a mid-day burst?

Thanks for following me on this latest tank nerd journey.

Jake
Old 02-04-2012, 05:14 PM   #22
atom
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

I love lace rock. I've used it in my freshwater nano with no problems. It's got a lot of character.

Love your setup. Can't wait to see it filled!
atom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:29 AM   #23
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

Decided to flood it tonight:

Not the prettiest thing right now, for sure. But it'll improve as things stabilize.

Ordering lily pipes from a TPT member this week and will replace the hideous green crap with those.

Relieved to have it filled!
Old 02-05-2012, 02:31 AM   #24
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

this looks great jake! that bacopa will definitely be poking out of the tank in no time!
orchidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:33 AM   #25
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

Thanks! I think it's going to be a crazy grower. Has grown at least an inch dry. Was pearling like crazy as I tested out the CO2 rig before lights out.

Really looking forward to see how it looks once it grows out of the tank. Hoping for flowers.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:37 AM   #26
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Thanks! I think it's going to be a crazy grower. Has grown at least an inch dry. Was pearling like crazy as I tested out the CO2 rig before lights out.

Really looking forward to see how it looks once it grows out of the tank. Hoping for flowers.
there ya go! ive never gotten it to flower, even when it was pressed right up against my lights, im not sure what the trick is.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:12 PM   #27
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

Wow - the transition from emersed to submerged with this Bacopa? Amazing. It's now standing straight up and looking amazing.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:49 PM   #28
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Wow - the transition from emersed to submerged with this Bacopa? Amazing. It's now standing straight up and looking amazing.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:02 AM   #29
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

Yes, this is another bad cell phone pic but look how much the Bacopa has grown in just two days:

Crazy, right?
Old 02-07-2012, 02:05 AM   #30
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru

love that plant!