Need opinion on lighting - 30 gallon
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 01-12-2012, 12:53 AM   #1
TripleWhammy

PTrader: (0/0%)

Need opinion on lighting - 30 gallon

Hi, all, as you can see I'm new, I've known about this awesome site for a few years now, finally decided to join anyways...

I had a 30 gallon, 30" that I decided to clean up and start setting up as a shrimp tank, with a carpet of glosso and/or dwarf hairgrass.

I spent some time shopping around for some decent lighting, and decided to set up:

3x 26 watt, 1610 lumen, CFL, with aluminum work clamp housing @6500k

I did some rough math and it seems I might only be getting about 8-9 lumens per square inch (accounting for light lost into the ambient room. I know this could be fixed with some better housing that redirects more of the light into the tank, but even with optimal setup, I would only be getting about 14 lumens/si. Squared falloff is pretty harsh, with lightbulbs being 19 inches from the average substrate point. I think my tank might be a bit too tall lighting wise, for the kinds of plants I want to get in here.

Opinion on my lighting? I had to switch off two lights because of the glare. Haha, I still have to find a better filter though, still using stock :P

Thanks a bunch,
Marco
TripleWhammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2012, 07:36 PM   #2
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)

Dunno about "lumens per square inch", but three of those lamps should get you a low to medium light tank. I would use a different style of clamp light reflectors to get a better efficiency out of the CFL lamps, as nice described and documented with images here.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:40 PM   #3
TripleWhammy

PTrader: (0/0%)

yeah, I really don't like the housing itself, seems like it lets a lot of light out..
well, with the diy co2 and lighting I've had these for about two weeks now. the plants were dying when I got them. they really perked up and started growing. as I speak all the plants are pearling. it's funny to watch, like little intense streams of bubbles coming off them.

I think I might be alright to try some dwarf hair grass. no harm in trying, right? I just found out about a store that apparently has a great selection of planted tank stock. I really want to get some plants in ASAP. all the excess nutrients are causing some brown diatom growth. UGLY
TripleWhammy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lighting, opinion, plans, planted