PH problems - Page 6
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 08-14-2003, 06:01 PM   #76
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)

Off topic:

Quote:
nervous norvus
Nervous Norvus!!!
Do remember "Nervous Norvous", the musicain from the 50's???

Mike
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2003, 03:30 AM   #77
Molly
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via ICQ to Molly

Yep I have plants, and lots of lighting, and lightning these days 8)
I know my tank is cycling & of course the massive water changes are slowing the process, thats cool, just want to get it right this time and not be a fish killer!

Heres todays stats:

nitrite 3.0
nitrate 20
ph 7.6
kh 3
gh 6
ammonia 3.0

One question, with using Prime, and the new tests, will the tests go to 0 when my tank is cycled? Stupid question I know, but then again, I am mom of teenager so I'm dain bramaged. Wear bith me...please

Oh yeah I rember nervous norvous, wasn't he on Ed Sullivan????
Now I have a question, what show was Rona Barrett on? I've been trying to come up with that for days

Thanks ya'll

PS Momenteto, you lose power
Old 08-15-2003, 12:21 PM   #78
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

If your water contains chloramine then you will always show ammonia after a water change when using Prime. Unless you are testing with a Salicylate based test kit. And those test kits are hard to find. Even with all the very good stores here in Portland I was not able to find one.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 02:29 AM   #79
Molly
Algae Grower

Hi Rex:

Not sure if I have the Salicylate tests or not, the pet store said they were, but they are somewhat nitwits :stupid: . The new tests I got are Jungle Labs TK 400 for Nitrite/Nitrate and TK300 for ammonia. There is nothing in the details that specify what type of tests they are, and nothing on the website, so I emailed them.

Gosh I am frustrated with the local pet stores, eveyone I talk to them points me in a completely different direction, this one says this, the next contradicts it and says that, so I have just blown off all thier advise and am depending on this forum to fix my problems.

Well here are todays test results.....as accurate as they may be:

Nitrite 10.0
Nitrate 40
PH 7.6
KH 4
GH 6
Ammonia .5

If the test results are accurate, seems my tank is cycling right along now huh? Ahh and the ph is leveling for the moment

Thanks,

Molly
Old 08-16-2003, 12:22 PM   #80
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

Are those the test strips? If so they are not what you want. One kit that I know works well is the Seachem test kit, kind of makes sense when you think about it. Many LFS don't carry Seachem test kits for some strange reason but they are inexpensive when mail ordered.
Old 08-16-2003, 03:07 PM   #81
Guttboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Guttboy

Molly,

Looks like your pH is not crashing any longer!!!! Thats great if thats the case....was it the chems you were putting in for the dechlorination?

Mike

10 Gallon...20 Endler's live bearers planted, peat/kitty litter/sand substrate

15 Gallon...Just Schultz Aquatic Plant soil
Guttboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 04:40 PM   #82
Molly
Algae Grower

HI Rex and Mike:

Yep they are the test strips, after I specifically pointed out what type of tests I wanted, they were what I was told I needed by the clerk at Petco. A new pet store just opened, looks family owned, (hoping they are better than the two I've had to go to) I think I will check there for the Seachem test kit. If they don't have it, then I'll do as you suggested and mail order it. I guess until I get the right tests, I'll be paddling in the dark......oh well.

Yep Mike looks like it was the declorinator I was using, think it was digger that pointed out it actually contains an acid. After a 2nd 50% water change using Prime the ph has stayed level for 3 days, actually staying at the level of the water coming out of the tap.

Thanks again,

Molly
Old 08-16-2003, 04:51 PM   #83
Guttboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Guttboy

WHHHOOOO HOOOOO!!!!!

WTG....I knew we would get to the bottom of it. I am so glad you have it fixed now!

AWESOME!

Mike

10 Gallon...20 Endler's live bearers planted, peat/kitty litter/sand substrate

15 Gallon...Just Schultz Aquatic Plant soil
Guttboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 04:58 PM   #84
Molly
Algae Grower

Yep Mike, I'm REALLY happy! Figure I'll keep testing it through the cycling and if it stays level, then we've managed to lick it

Thank goodness for this forum! The folks at the pet stores have been dreadful in the help dept.

Everyone here is WONDERFUL!

Molly
Old 08-16-2003, 05:13 PM   #85
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

There is a big difference in my mind between a pet store and a fish store. I'm very lucky that we have several fish stores here in Portland and one very good one.
Old 08-16-2003, 05:20 PM   #86
Molly
Algae Grower

Yeah, me too Rex, unfortunately the nearest just fish store is an hour drive from here, unless it's during the week then I have to factor in for traffic so it makes it not really a very practical option. Ohhh well

Thanks,

Molly
Old 08-16-2003, 08:04 PM   #87
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)

PRIME!!

Mike
Old 08-17-2003, 02:21 AM   #88
Molly
Algae Grower

In my mind PRIME = PREMO!!!!

Well today ph stayed level, heres my results:

Nitrite 10.0
Nitrate 40
PH 7.6 (yippee!!!!)
KH 4
GH 7
Ammonia .5

Still cycling, but gee the ph isn't going in the dumper

Gotta get a seachem test kit though...ew well life is good & I might be able to trade in my fish killer designation soon.

Thanks everyone!

Molly
Old 08-19-2003, 02:21 AM   #89
Molly
Algae Grower

Hi Everyone:

First part is for Rex, I had a response from Jungle products, turns out the Nitrite/Nitrate and ammonia test srips are salicylate and compatible with
Jungle(r) water conditioners. (hope that means with Seachem too)

Next are my test results today:
nitrite 10
nitrate 80
ph 7.6
kh 4
gh 6
ammonia .5

Thanks again!

Molly

PS The prime applicator isn't the best, I discovered 1 ml=1cc, so since I do my own dog vacines I have a supply of syringes. I just removed the needle and used a syringe to dose my water conditioner......much easier to read and precise. syringes are easy to come by at feed stores, or if they won't sell them without the vacine, Foster and Smith is a great source.