Waterproof-ing
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 01-11-2012, 07:37 PM   #1
pucksr
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Waterproof-ing

I just had my 4th Cree LED burn-out on my LED setup. The first few were because of corrosion from water. I have a rather tight canopy over my tank, and there is a lot of moisture. After this event, I replaced the bad LEDs and covered all of the contacts on the PCB star with silicone. This seems to have been better, since they lasted much longer this time. However, the LED closest to the water inlet has failed again due to corrosion.(I assume because it is near the most moving water, though I have my inlet pointing down with no splash). This problem may have also been accelerated because of the winter, since the water has a significantly higher temperature now than the air (condensation)

Does anyone have any recommendations for waterproofing? I also use a bit of LED strip lighting for moonlighting. I wasn't too concerned with the light output of this, so I simply sprayed it down with clear Thompson water sealant. I was thinking of doing the same thing, unless someone has a recommendation otherwise.

Edit: I just realized I should have posted this in DIY. I apologize
pucksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2012, 07:38 PM   #2
samamorgan
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via MSN to samamorgan Send a message via Skype™ to samamorgan

Glass shield below the LEDs.
Originally Posted by Ludwig van Beethoven
Don't only practice your art, but force your way into it's secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine.
samamorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:41 PM   #3
antbug
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)

What about adding a few fans (one in and one out) on your canopy? This will help a lot of the moisture build up, but it will also cause more evaporation. I don't know much about LED's so I can't help there.

antbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:47 PM   #4
pucksr
Algae Grower

Fans are my next option. I was trying to keep this as quiet and efficient as possible, so I was avoiding fans.

As far as a glass shield, that might work. My main concern is that in the past I have noticed that glass tops tend to develop a lot of "gunk" on them.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:05 PM   #5
tentacles
Algae Grower

What you want is a coat of epoxy, lacquer or polyurethane. Silicone both allows moisture through it and releases corrosive acetic acid while curing (which does corrode both lead and tin). Be sure to mask off the emitters if you spray bomb it!

Last edited by tentacles; 01-12-2012 at 01:50 AM..
tentacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:14 PM   #6
pucksr
Algae Grower

Thanks for the info on the silicone being corrosive.

I agree that I need to just coat it with something, but I just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed something(as I did with the corrosive nature of silicone)

Tags
led, sealant, waterproof, waterproofing