Introduction--so glad to find you!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 01-11-2012, 12:13 PM   #1
CuriosityCat
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Introduction--so glad to find you!

Hello all,

I love planted nanos, but have been out of the hobby for a couple years following the discovery that no amount of security precautions can prevent a toddler from occasionally dumping an entire jar of food into the nano...

We just moved our office out of our house and into a studio, well out of the course of toddler traffic, and now I'm designing my desktop nano. I went looking for pictures and design ideas, and ended up posting in another forum where I was soundly informed that a 1.5 gallon set-up is not suitable for sustaining life and that I should look at a minimum 30 gallons before even thinking of getting into the hobby.

So imagine my happy surprise to find this forum and see that I'm not the only crazy who thinks plants and maybe a few invertebrates can happily--and beautifully--exist on a micro scale.

I'm loving all the pictures and the SPECIES LIST (yay!!). So many great ideas and beautiful set-ups. I'm planting my nano today and thinking of adding a Mexican crayfish (don't know the species name--it's a one- to two-inch fire-engine-red crayfish) and/or maybe a few shrimp (the sort with red & white stripes--again, species name escapes me) next week.

Looking forward to participating in this wonderful forum.
CuriosityCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2012, 12:45 PM   #2
bpb
Planted Tank Enthusiast

+1 I agree. I stopped visiting several other forums a while back because of the excessive amounts of tank size and stock compatibility extremists.
bpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:47 PM   #3
Geniusdudekiran
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)

That's because there just a bunch of noobs that listen to the guys at petsmart and buy a 29 gallon with blue gravel, plastic ornaments, and 6 oscars and a pleco. But it's okay, because they have a "bigger tank" .

People can really annoy me. Acting like they know so much when they really know absolutely nothing and their tanks suck. Not to mention the fact that their tanks are also death traps. But when their fish die it's not their fault, because they're doing everything right, right? So it must be the store has bad fish. Yeah, that's it.

PS -- welcome to the forum, you won't find anyone like that here.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:25 PM   #4
xenxes
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)

Welcome!

I started a 2.5 gal a little over 2 weeks ago, and with the help of these forums, everything is still alive (besides an infected shrimp from LFS and an RCS that got eaten by the Betta).

Also, I still have blue gravel Need to swap it out out for dirt & plant stratum covered by black sand.
xenxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:32 PM   #5
Gtdad2
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

Welcome home!
The Fraternity of Dirt #58
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...k-warning.html
RAOK CLUB #20
Gtdad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:35 PM   #6
Rev_jim_jones
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenxes View Post
Welcome!

I started a 2.5 gal a little over 2 weeks ago, and with the help of these forums, everything is still alive (besides an infected shrimp from LFS and an RCS that got eaten by the Betta).

Also, I still have blue gravel Need to swap it out out for dirt & plant stratum covered by black sand.
Lol I hate to almost lose a Verbal battle with a 7 year old girl to chnge the gravel in her ecopico from an atrocious Neon Pink to something less visually stimulating. it still has Patrick, Sponge bob, and the Pinapple in it though. dad does not always win
Rev_jim_jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:59 PM   #7
Eldachleich
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Welcome!! My love for nano's is still greater than my love for anything else aquatic.
I got very very annoyed with people telling me that anything below 10 gallons was for bettas only. This site was a savior of sorts.
Though even this site is not immune to those sorts. Everywhere will have people of differing opinions. Such is life. What I wish is that they would not PM me berating me for my choices. I think my school of habrosus are perfect in my 5 gallon but a few people just needed to tell me that I was a cruel person and that they were only suited for an aquarium 20 gallons or more. Which while I can see how fish will always enjoy more space. But I seriously cannot imagine putting these guys in anything bigger than a 20 gallon.. If that.. However those people are few and far between on here.
Have you really looked around here? I found out theres a heck of alot more options than I previously though. I would ask some stocking questions before committing to something. Even looking at some of the shrimp these people import can take all day.

Gosh How I wish I could get some of those shrimp. Alas... It becomes too hot here for them.
Take a look at some of them. They are awesome!!
Get a picture fo that tank up!!
Eldachleich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:04 PM   #8
Eldachleich
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_jim_jones View Post
Lol I hate to almost lose a Verbal battle with a 7 year old girl to chnge the gravel in her ecopico from an atrocious Neon Pink to something less visually stimulating. it still has Patrick, Sponge bob, and the Pinapple in it though. dad does not always win
Dont feel so bad. Try doing a tank for your mother.
She dug out a small old acrylic 5 gallon form the garage. Was not willing to spend any money. But wanted it planted like "all those pretty tanks you are constantly looking at". After I managed to drag together a pretty decent lowlight setup out of my trimmings she thought it would be fun to stock it herself. The tank hadnt even cycled when she bought 4 ghost cats, 9 ghost shrimp, 6 guppies, 4 albino cories, 3x ray tetra's, 2 oto cats, a hatchet fish, and a giant grey mystery snail.
I went to visit her a few days later to keep the cycle going and saw it completely and horribly stocked. Thats when I noticed she had bought tanks for all my siblings rooms as well. As much as I try to get her to stock it correctly, as much as I beg she refuses.

The amazing things is that a year later all those fish are still alive.

At this point I would gladly stare at patrick all day long. lol
Eldachleich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:36 PM   #9
CuriosityCat
Algae Grower

Wow! Thanks for the welcome, guys. Seriously loving this forum.

I started planting my tank today but had thoroughly forgotten how long it takes substrate to settle. So right now I'm staring at a bowl of brown water with plants randomly stuck in the substrate wherever I could get them without being able to see what I'm doing. I am NOT posting pictures of the bowl of brown goo. :p

Thanks again for the warm welcome. Pics will (eventually) be forthcoming.
CuriosityCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:14 PM   #10
Obakemono
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriosityCat View Post
Hello all,

I love planted nanos, but have been out of the hobby for a couple years following the discovery that no amount of security precautions can prevent a toddler from occasionally dumping an entire jar of food into the nano...

We just moved our office out of our house and into a studio, well out of the course of toddler traffic, and now I'm designing my desktop nano. I went looking for pictures and design ideas, and ended up posting in another forum where I was soundly informed that a 1.5 gallon set-up is not suitable for sustaining life and that I should look at a minimum 30 gallons before even thinking of getting into the hobby.

So imagine my happy surprise to find this forum and see that I'm not the only crazy who thinks plants and maybe a few invertebrates can happily--and beautifully--exist on a micro scale.

I'm loving all the pictures and the SPECIES LIST (yay!!). So many great ideas and beautiful set-ups. I'm planting my nano today and thinking of adding a Mexican crayfish (don't know the species name--it's a one- to two-inch fire-engine-red crayfish) and/or maybe a few shrimp (the sort with red & white stripes--again, species name escapes me) next week.

Looking forward to participating in this wonderful forum.
Welcome!
Like you have found out that you can do small tanks and get the same results. Honestly I am finding that my 15gal is about the max I want, because when I was looking to get a 60gal but I like the taller, smaller tanks like hexes when I found my 15 column tank. I am planning on getting a second 15 for my shrimp tank, and I will have a 5gal plant over flow tank as well. I am also planning a 2.5-5gal Opae Ula tank, as those shrimp are very nice.
Obakemono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:17 PM   #11
xenxes
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_jim_jones View Post
Lol neon pink? I want to see pictures. Almost bought a sponge bob set myself when it was on sale :/
xenxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:29 PM   #12
Rev_jim_jones
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenxes View Post
Lol neon pink? I want to see pictures. Almost bought a sponge bob set myself when it was on sale :/
There are no pictures of the horrid Pink substrate and I have yet to figure out how to upload tiny pictures to this Site to show the Horrid artificial plants she had in there originally.
Rev_jim_jones is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nano, planted