<Sigh> How long to lower Nitrate?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 08-18-2003, 03:20 PM   #1
stu96ss
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Well I would like to thank all those who replied to my last post (why are my plants turning brown) Now I am tring to lower my nitrates. They are over 200 ppm. I have done 2 water changes (30 gal on a 100 gal tank) and even bought a nitrate remover. Still they are high. Both water changes have been 2 days apart.

Any other tips or ideas?

Thanks
Stu
stu96ss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2003, 03:53 PM   #2
digger
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to digger

Check the nitrate level in your tap water. If the tap water has high nitrates, doing water changes isn't going to help. It's unlikely the high nitrates are killing your plants, but they could be harmful to your fish.
digger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2003, 03:54 PM   #3
Saluki
Algae Grower

Send a message via Yahoo to Saluki

Have you tested your tap water for nitrates?

If your tap water contains nitrates, it will take longer to lower the nitrates in your tank. It will also act as a lower limit for your nitrate concentration if you do not mix in RO or distilled water. If your tap water does not contain nitrates, just keep up the frequent water changes. They will come down. It is best not to change the concentrations too rapidly anyway. The fish do not tolerate rapid changes in water quality well.

If you do a 30% change, you should expect to see your nitrate concentration go down by about 30% (unless there are nitrates in the tap water). If it does not, then your tank is either way overstocked with fish, or you have something in the tank that is replenishing nitrates as you remove them. This might be fish waste burried in the substrate, some uneaten food somewhere in the tank, or the body of a dead fish.
Saluki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2003, 03:57 PM   #4
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (163/100%)

Funny, my problem is that all my tests show zero nitrates…

First you need to insure that your test kit is correct. Check your tap water and see what you get. Check some distilled water and see what you get.

You could also have your tank water tested at a fish store.

If you get correct values (between 0 and 30 ppm for tap water, 0 for distilled water? not sure if my assumption is correct here) and you know your kit is good, next you need to find out where all the NO3 is coming from. I don't think a few decaying plants would cause that...

But first see if your testing works.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2003, 03:58 PM   #5
Wasserpest
Are these real?

Ooopsie... I am typing way too slowly.
Old 08-18-2003, 04:11 PM   #6
stu96ss
Algae Grower

I tested the tap water and it is: Nitrates 0 Nitrite 0 Hardness 120 Alkalinity 90 PH 6.8
Old 08-18-2003, 04:37 PM   #7
Saluki
Algae Grower

Send a message via Yahoo to Saluki

My guess is that your nitrates were higher than what your kit is capable of reading. My kit only goes up to 160 ppm. If this is the case, it might take several water changes to get them down to readable levels.

Just keep doing your 30% changes each day. Also, make sure to vac every part of the substrate to make sure there isnt anything decaying in there. Good luck and keep us posted. I am currently fighting phosphates that are above the reading limit of my phosphate kit. Needless to say, I have also been fighting with algae.
Saluki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2003, 04:46 PM   #8
Ray1214
Algae Grower

If it says zero, I would really check my test kit.
First (and forgive me if I didn't read close enough), how are your fish doing. IF they look really stressed and you have some dying, then your nitrates are probably that high. (I myself have nver hit over 100 ppm unless cycling a tank). I think Ammo Lock will also lessen the effect of nitrates and ammonia on fish, however your test kit readings won't show it.
Second, Look for debris, and/or a dead snail or fish or shrimp, etc. That is usually a dead giveaway (pardon the pun) for your nitrates rising up that high. Try vaccuuming your substrate during your water changes to see if trapped food or trapped critter bodies are what is the problem.
Third, check your test kit. sometimes out of date chemicals or contaimanted kits will give really weird readings. boy I have had a Red Sea Nitrate kit spin me for loops one time becasue of expired reagents.
Ray

I worked my self up from nothing to a state of extreme poverity
Ray1214 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2003, 06:07 PM   #9
Wasserpest
Are these real?

If you are using the multi-test paper strips... perhaps you want to invest into a better test kit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.