Switching from Diy co2 to Pressurized
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 01-01-2012, 11:34 PM   #1
Zefrik
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Switching from Diy co2 to Pressurized

I have been using DIY co2 for about a year now and it is getting really old. One of the reasons I have not really tried to get a pressurized system is because I found the whole thing kind of overwhelming and a little over the top. I was also worried about being able to find a place that would refill a tank for me. I have been looking around and I think I might now know what to get. I want to get a regulator and solenoid and an adapter for a paintball can. Let me paste some links of what I am looking to get.

- http://www.marinedepot.com/CO2_Regul...FICORE-vi.html

- http://www.marinedepot.com/Accessori...FICOCA-vi.html

With these will I be able to run from a regular tank as well as use the adapter to use a paintball tank too? Also is this everything except for the tubing and a deffuser?

- I know paintball tanks won't last as long but I want to have the option to use it in case I have problems filling a bigger tank.

- It will be running on a 40 gallon Breeder.
Zefrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2012, 12:05 AM   #2
Higher Thinking
So good my algae pearls!

PTrader: (23/100%)

I don't know about that regulator personally, but I think you could get a better regulator for that kind of money, or even less. You can buy a cheap regulator like the one from Aquatek and then buy a post body kit from a member such as BettaTail. I have bought multiple units from him. The post body kit is the solenoid, needle valve combination that will just screw on to the regulator. You need a wrench to switch them out, but I did it successfully my first time.

Also, I bought the Reef Fanatic regulator/solenoid combo from Aqua Cave for $150 and that thing has been working awesome. If I get some more time I'll research some more ideas and perhaps your potential product in particular.
Higher Thinking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:31 AM   #3
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)

Check Power Trader links on this forum, especially this post from bettatail: there is a lot of information there and you can get some pricing ideas there also. Then PM bettatail and he will advise you on what's best for you. Quality people here.

I've done pressurized CO2 10 different ways from "mini' disposable cartridges, to beer regulators to industrial regulators: you learn a lot along the way, but in the end you will end up like the rest of us: with a CO2 tank, 2-stage regulator, solenoid valve, and a precision metering valve. Learn from my mistakes
OVT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 04:04 AM   #4
samamorgan
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via MSN to samamorgan Send a message via Skype™ to samamorgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
Then PM bettatail and he will advise you on what's best for you.
Try not to ask the same questions everyone asks though, the forum has a search function that will most likely answer whatever you need. Guys like bettatail deal with many peoples PMs every day and im sure getting the same set of questions over and over is pretty annoying.
Originally Posted by Ludwig van Beethoven
Don't only practice your art, but force your way into it's secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine.
samamorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:28 PM   #5
Rich Conley
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samamorgan View Post
Try not to ask the same questions everyone asks though, the forum has a search function that will most likely answer whatever you need. Guys like bettatail deal with many peoples PMs every day and im sure getting the same set of questions over and over is pretty annoying.

The search function is only helpful if you know what to search for. Newbies don't. Telling them to search neither helps them, nor reduces clutter on the forums.
Rich Conley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:14 PM   #6
Zefrik
Wannabe Guru

bump
Old 01-04-2012, 06:26 PM   #7
Zefrik
Wannabe Guru

Default How about this one?

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-Inst...5705123&sr=8-4
Old 01-04-2012, 06:41 PM   #8
Wicket_lfe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Wicket_lfe

I just bought the aquatek regulator with solenoid and their paintball tank adapter for about $80 shipped on fleabay. I'll let you know how that turns out.
Wicket_lfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:45 PM   #9
samamorgan
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via MSN to samamorgan Send a message via Skype™ to samamorgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Conley View Post
The search function is only helpful if you know what to search for. Newbies don't. Telling them to search neither helps them, nor reduces clutter on the forums.

Oh i wasnt tanking about reducing clutter on the forums, i was talking about not annoying Bettatail. Im willing to bet he gets the same set of questions 20 times a day, and would apprecuate a well informed buyer
Originally Posted by Ludwig van Beethoven
Don't only practice your art, but force your way into it's secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine.
samamorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:24 AM   #10
Zefrik
Wannabe Guru

bump
Old 01-05-2012, 12:29 AM   #11
galabar
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by samamorgan View Post
Oh i wasnt tanking about reducing clutter on the forums, i was talking about not annoying Bettatail. Im willing to bet he gets the same set of questions 20 times a day, and would apprecuate a well informed buyer
Anyone who wants to sell something should have an infinite supply of patients when dealing with potential buyers.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:41 AM   #12
proaudio55
Planted Tank Enthusiast

My advice when going to pressurized is BE CAREFUL!!! With a yeast+sugar system, it's almost impossible to dump too much CO2 into a tank. With a pressurized tank, you can asphyxiate all the critters to death in less than an hour if you're not paying attention or a needle valve gets bumped or whatever.

In case of emergency, be sure to keep an air pump w/ air stone ready at all times. If you critters start gasping at the surface, a bubbling air stone will drive off the CO2 and increase the O2. I speak from experience, I stunned my fish twice. . . it didn't kill them, but I felt bad about the whole thing.
proaudio55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquaticlife, co2, diy, pressurized co2