New Finnex High Powered LED Fixture. Input Welcome.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Sponsors > Finnex / Schuber Wright

Old 12-27-2011, 06:51 PM   #1
Lowe
Finnex

PTrader: (2/100%)

New Finnex High Powered LED Fixture. Input Welcome.

We are in the process of developing some LED Light fixtures. They're high powered LED bars. Two rows of LEDs in the middle. Unlike the typical LED spread, these optics are at 120 degrees. Once our PAR meter is repaired I can run the numbers by you guys. We're looking to carry a 40 cm model for our Schuber Wright 6 Gallon Aquarium and a 45 cm model for the 8.9 Gallon. We are also contemplating a 60 cm (2ft) model, for those with larger aquariums. My question to you is:

-How important are blue moonlights to you?
-Is a row of 7100k & 10000k LEDs acceptable to you plant heads? We feel the combo of 10k puts off a more pleasing tone without sacrificing too much useful light.

Now for the pics:

LEDS on a 8.9 Shuber Wright Low Iron Aquarium. Very slim with a great spread.

Two Bulb 24 Watt HO T5 fixture so you can compare brightness with fixture below.

Finnex 2' LED w/ 2 rows of 10K diodes.

Single 2' Finnex LED Strip w/ 2 rows of 10k diodes on Saltwater 90 gallon.
Lowe is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2011, 08:27 PM   #2
Storm
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

Those LEDs look great! I've actually been contemplating getting some for my ADA 60-P, so if you ever carry the 60cm version that would be awesome.

Personally, the 7100K and 10000K would be perfect for planted aquariums. I don't care for moonlights. I have a Finnex 4g with the 26w CFL fixture and I never turn on the moonlights, ever.

I hope you decide to carry these.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:19 PM   #3
tetranewbie
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (29/100%)

Agreed! Those look great!

Any info on how many leds and watts per? Thanks!
tetranewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 01:01 AM   #4
xt0rted
Algae Grower

PTrader: (21/100%)

Is there a 30cm model at all? The lighting options for my ADA 30C are pretty limited and the 12" Coralife fixture I got is on its way out, would love something smaller like this.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:08 PM   #5
TexasCichlid
Surrounded by Blyxa

PTrader: (27/100%)

Blue moonlights are not very important to me. All my stuff is on a timer, and I don't want to physically have to switch between moonlights and daylights. I like 10k bulbs, so a mix looks great to me. I also have the 26w Finnex lamp on my Finnex 4G and I never use the moonlight because it's a physical switch.
TexasCichlid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:06 PM   #6
dbosman@msu.edu
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

A small moonlight add on strip with a wall wart would satisfy customers, give you an add on sale now and again, and possibly appeal to people who didn't purchase your strip light initially.
dbosman@msu.edu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:30 PM   #7
madness
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

Will be keeping an eye on this.

Finnex seems to be one of the few companies offering up interesting lighting options for freshwater nano tanks that aren't obscenely priced.

I also second the suggestion of considering some sort of 30cm option - not only is the ADA 30c tank popular but the Fluval Ebi is really close to the same dimensions as well and doesn't come with the best lighting option ever stock so people with Ebi's tend to be on the prowl for better options.
madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:13 PM   #8
Lowe
Finnex

PTrader: (2/100%)

Thank you for all the suggestions. We are still discussing what models to carry as we wait for our new Par Meter to arrive. We did produce a sample 30cm fixture, you can see it on one of our aquariums below. If there is enough positive feedback we will carry that length as well.

Also, one of our smaller models we developed to test floating over our breeder/refugium

Lowe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:17 PM   #9
hockey9999
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

I would definitely consider upgrading the 2 x 13w Fluval fixtures in my Ebi should you decide to produce/carry a 30cm version. Looks awesome!
Old 01-03-2012, 02:21 AM   #10
monkeyfish
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

I personally love moonlights, but agree the ability to have them on a separate timer is more important than having one fixture. Nice looking product line though, I may have to order some stuff.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:48 AM   #11
xt0rted
Algae Grower

I'd like moonlights as well. The fixture I have from Current has 2 plugs so the moonlight is simply always on while the main light is on a timer. It's a white LED instead of blue which I prefer more.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:28 AM   #12
demonr6
Wannabe Guru

Those are sexy. I agree with the larger option as well. I had a 24" with the constant on LED's which does nothing when I power down the lights in the evening. Since the light is on a timer, the blues were completely useless.
The Fraternity of Dirt #5
I'm dirty

My Finnex 4 Tank Journal-RETIRED 20L Rimless Journal-started 12-20 55L Journal-NEW 06-12

.sdrawkcab dootsrednu tub sdrawrof devil si efiL
demonr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 03:07 PM   #13
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

if i might add. 6500k moonlights look best.. i diy some roll on sticky leds to my tek fixture 33 inches from susbtrate.. VERY low light. it does not affect rest cycles of fish. and it does not affect plant cycles as well

i used a total of 6 leds ( surface mount /SMD)
i would be more than happy to supply photos or documentation of what i used and how i applied it if it were to help design lights.

i feel most moonlights are too bright for aqauriums and blue is not really nice to look at either

blue is good for saltwater but if a FW tank. the moon reflects white. i wanna see that
Old 01-13-2012, 12:19 AM   #14
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)

Sexy. You guys are just tempting us: I have no more room for another tank Mybe I'll evict the dog ...

As far as moonlights go, I LOVE the two on a Coralife T5HO fixture and the 2 small LEDs on the Finnex clip-on light: I stay up late at night and love the ability to watch the fish. I have a bunch of pictures: looks like a fairy tale landscape. I also think the moonlights are becoming must-have features in this competitive market.

(I volunteer to user-test all of your new products )
OVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 02:19 PM   #15
paybackranch
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)

You folks at Finnex are awesome.....you are asking us what we like / would like and that is so very, very rare. You will have my business!!! I have been drooling over your tanks for some time.....Thanks!!

(I ALSO volunteer to test all of your products :-) )
paybackranch is offline   Reply With Quote