CmLaracy's ADA 75P v.IV
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 12-24-2011, 05:19 AM   #1
CmLaracy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)

CmLaracy's ADA 75P v.IV

edit: go to the last page for DLSR shots... too bad I don't know how to use it and can't get a good shot for my life lol

Hello! Fourth iteration of this tank, decided to go with 3 shades of green and some seiryu stone. Getting a DSLR in a couple of days so bare with me on the pictures, they're all taken from my phone. I hope you like. I'll show a couple set up shots, scroll down for the up to date shots. It's about 40g with a 150w MH pendant

First 3 main stones

Planting the HC and packing the moss in between the stones

Directly after fill

1 Day after fill

Today. Once the DSLR comes in I'll take a shot with the CO2, filter, and powerhead off. The grass is actually a lot taller but the koralia and xp3 are blowing it down to the right.

Some diffuser action

And a happy Sakura! Most of them are far more red but they're all hiding in the grass right now, got them today, 6 out of the 12 are berried.

Angled shot to show the pendant

EDIT: just took a shot with the bubbles and powerhead off for no more than 30 seconds

Thanks for looking!

Last edited by CmLaracy; 06-12-2012 at 04:35 PM..
CmLaracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2011, 06:02 AM   #2
Centromochlus
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (117/100%)

I am no expert my any means, but I was quite skeptical of this scape when you first posted pictures of it in the aquascaping section. However, i really like what you've done with it. The moss really makes it look more like an aquascape rather than a pile of rocks. The hairgrass in the back looks super nice, and so does the HC. Nice job and i look forward to following this tank's progression!

Centromochlus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 06:19 AM   #3
CmLaracy
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzFishKid View Post
I am no expert my any means, but I was quite skeptical of this scape when you first posted pictures of it in the aquascaping section. However, i really like what you've done with it. The moss really makes it look more like an aquascape rather than a pile of rocks. The hairgrass in the back looks super nice, and so does the HC. Nice job and i look forward to following this tank's progression!
Thanks And in my opinion, the moss still needs to engulf the rock a bit more. I'm going to have to start trimming the HC and pulling out some hairgrass to get everything balanced.

I'll be getting a school of about 40-50 cardinal tetras in a week or so to contrast all the green. Also, picked up some DARK red Sakura's today and at least half of them came berried, they let me hand pick them and I took all the preggers So in a month or so the tank will be crawling with red!

I'm quite nervous though, I'm going back to TCNJ on the 17th and I have class 5 days a week. Going to have to make lots of trips home on the weekend... Also going to have to teach the father how to dose and look for algae. I have a feeling dropping the photoperiod from 10 hours a day to 7 or 8 will be a wise choice once I leave.

I can't say it was all success though, had a huge problem the first 4 weeks with Diatoms and green thread algae, took forever for me to find out that I had sandy soil, and so my well water was filled with silicates. Water changes just fed the diatoms. Got a RO/DI and did a 3 day blackout with huge excel ODing and won the war after much frustration. I thought I was going to lose the scape to be honest.

Can't wait to get the school of cardinals and the DLSR, these shots really don't do it justice compared to in person. Thanks for the compliment!

Last edited by CmLaracy; 12-24-2011 at 09:45 AM..
CmLaracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:28 AM   #4
CmLaracy
Wannabe Guru

Here's two shots of the tank as of today, the HC is going to need some plowing soon. Bare with me on the quality of the shots again, still from my phone. I'll be grabbing a canon t3i soon and hopefully I'll get some worthy shots out of it. Posting two shots as its hard to get the light balance correct so I tried one normal exposure and one under exposed.

Thanks for looking
Old 12-29-2011, 08:23 AM   #5
jkan0228
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (115/100%)

Why don't you place the diffuser under the powerhead?
jkan0228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:56 AM   #6
CmLaracy
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkan0228 View Post
Why don't you place the diffuser under the powerhead?
for one, the grass would be in the way and I'd have to have it higher up. I'd also have to bend a new glass pipe for it's different positioning.

but more importantly, it's lined up directly with the outflow of the xp3. the bubbles get thrown down into the the water column and swing towards the back by the flow of the xp3. any bubbles that get close to the surface after the xp3 "throws" them towards the back then get propelled back down into the water column and to the right side of the tank by the powerhead. the powerhead essentially catches all the bubbles the xp3 can't prevent from reaching the surface.

the xp3 and koralia thus work in tandem to keep the bubbles in the column and circulated around the tank. these days I run slightly less than 1bps and have no noticeable algae, the diffusion rate is quite high when both sets of flow are circulating the bubbles. using strictly RO/DI water also helps
Old 12-29-2011, 05:57 PM   #7
Overfloater
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)

This tank is excellent. I love it because it is unique and well executed.

You selling any of that hair grass anytime soon?
Old 12-29-2011, 06:13 PM   #8
CmLaracy
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overfloater View Post
This tank is excellent. I love it because it is unique and well executed.

You selling any of that hair grass anytime soon?
Coming from you Thanks a bunch!

As for the hairgrass, if i knew how to take some out with all of it coming out I would start selling quite soon, it's been making its way into the carpet for 4 weeks now and I have to clip the runners and pull out blades of it everyday to keep the carpet from turning into another wall of grass. I started with so little of it so most of it is interconnected under the soil. Any tips would be appreciated, if I can sell some you're first in line. Believe it or not this is dwarf hairgrass, and I'm positive of if because the place I get my plants from has little tags in the pots that were put in by the place that grows them... it was labeled dwarf hair grass, along with it's latin name. There's a possibility that the growers messed up but It was quite short when I got it, the direct halide seems to really double it's length.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:41 PM   #9
Overfloater
Wannabe Guru

I haven't produced anything close to this quality in quite some time.

As far as hair grass, pretty much your only options are to cut it out in chunks like sod or to completely remove it and replant.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:52 PM   #10
CmLaracy
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
I haven't produced anything close to this quality in quite some time.

As far as hair grass, pretty much your only options are to cut it out in chunks like sod or to completely remove it and replant.
Figured as much with the grass, what a pain that's going to be. I'm leaving for school on the 17th, might be a good idea to remove it all and replant before I go, the stuff grows so fast It'll be back to what it looks like now in a few weeks I'd be willing to bet. It really is a weed
Old 12-29-2011, 07:27 PM   #11
Overfloater
Wannabe Guru

That would be a good idea. And you sell the cuttings to me.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:20 PM   #12
Gatekeeper
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (96/100%)

Quote:
That would be a good idea. And you sell the cuttings to me.
Not unless I beat you to his front door! LOL.

Seriously, tank looks great Chris. I will get over to you to check it out before you head back into the city. I have been so dang busy lately with the holidays.

Meeting is at my place on January 28! Setting up a 50 gallon aquarium.

Let me know if you need more fert solution before you head back to school also.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:43 PM   #13
Overfloater
Wannabe Guru

Oh you bastard. First the crypts and now this!
Old 12-29-2011, 10:47 PM   #14
Gatekeeper
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (96/100%)

Quote:
Oh you bastard. First the crypts and now this!
Nah, I was busting you. They are all yours. LOL!
Old 12-29-2011, 10:59 PM   #15
CmLaracy
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
Not unless I beat you to his front door! LOL.

Seriously, tank looks great Chris. I will get over to you to check it out before you head back into the city. I have been so dang busy lately with the holidays.

Meeting is at my place on January 28! Setting up a 50 gallon aquarium.

Let me know if you need more fert solution before you head back to school also.
You guys are silly! I'm good on KNO3 at the moment, but as far as PO4 I've simply been eyeballing lumps of powder and dosing discretely, I bump it up when I see GSA forming on the glass.

Going back to school on the 17th, so I'll have to see if I can make it to the meeting or if ill be busy with class, which I have monday-friday this semester.