Replacement for Didiplis Diandre?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 07-01-2005, 05:12 PM   #1
Aphyosemion
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Aphyosemion

Replacement for Didiplis Diandre?

I am looking for a valid replacement for Didiplis Diandre. It is a gorgeous plant, but has some shortcomings. Whenever it is shaded, it tends to disintegrate, leaving the bottoms of the plant nothing more than roots, and the stem like a couple inches above the substrate. Also, it does not work well, in lower wattage tanks.
SO, with that being said, does anyone know of a valid replacement plant that might have the same overall look, but less annoying? I already have Mayaca, which is similar in some ways, but not as bushy. I have seen a plant used by Takashi Amano which was called something like Lagarisiphon Madagascarensis or something very close to that, which looked perfect, but that was my only idea.
Anyone have other ideas? How about Limnophila Aromatica? Is that less demanding?
-Aphyosemion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2005, 05:16 PM   #2
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)

Have you looked at Stargrass? Leaves are not as fine, but it should be less demanding and grow very bushy under good conditions.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 05:19 PM   #3
Jason Baliban
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (92/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Jason Baliban

I will have a bunch of star grass in a few weeks. Its all yours if you pay shipping.
jB
Jason Baliban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 05:58 PM   #4
BSS
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

When you first mentioned replacement, I was thinking L. aromatica. I haven't had it real long yet, but, I'm guessing it might have the same lower leaf drop in shaded, lower light conditions. Stargrass can be a cool plant, though it grew too fast in my medium/high light set up. So, with lower light, that might be decent. If you want something in a red, perhaps a Rotala rotundifolia?!?
Old 07-01-2005, 06:32 PM   #5
Oqsy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Oqsy Send a message via MSN to Oqsy Send a message via Yahoo to Oqsy

you could also try l. arcuata or l. brevipes
i have some brevipes, but my arcuata was obliterated by green slime a couple months ago... totally light starved. arcuata has finer leaves than brevipes, but they look identical other than size. light demands aren't too extreme, and they've done better than d. diandra in both of my tanks.

Oqsy
Eheim Pimp #171
55 gallon jungle in progress; Eheim 2217, TurboTwist UVS, Seachem Onyx / Black T-grade ColorQuartz, 2x55w AHS CF, BeverageFactory.com CO2 Regulator with Clippard accessories

"If you ask me, you've got too much imagination. Everything's all loop-de-loops and flibbertigibbets." - Hank Hill
Oqsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 07:22 PM   #6
Aphyosemion
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Aphyosemion

Good suggestions. I am going to look all of these up as soon as I get off work to debate a good replacement. What is the scientific name for stargrass? Is it Esterallis something or other? Gah, I can't remember right now.
-Aphyosemion
Old 07-01-2005, 07:31 PM   #7
Oqsy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Oqsy Send a message via MSN to Oqsy Send a message via Yahoo to Oqsy

heteranthera zosterifolia... i'm pretty sure that's it. some places call it heteranthera dubia, but I think they're mistaken or outdated.

Oqsy
Eheim Pimp #171
55 gallon jungle in progress; Eheim 2217, TurboTwist UVS, Seachem Onyx / Black T-grade ColorQuartz, 2x55w AHS CF, BeverageFactory.com CO2 Regulator with Clippard accessories

"If you ask me, you've got too much imagination. Everything's all loop-de-loops and flibbertigibbets." - Hank Hill
Oqsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 10:19 PM   #8
shalu
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

lagarosiphon madagascariensis and heteranthera zosterifolia(stargrass) are very easy plants, even without CO2. Both look pretty. That said, didiplis diandra does not melt one me even when bottom is totally shaded if nutrient dosing is fine. The replacement plants do not have red new growth, only didiplis has. Ludwigia arcuata has very red growth(have it in my non-CO2 tank), it would be the closest replacement of d. diandra. ludwigia brevipes is a bit larger.
10gallon Tonina tank, 2x15w T6 ODNO 4x
---------------------
I will do aquascapes after I collect all the plant species and grow them to perfection.
shalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 10:34 PM   #9
rain-
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (36/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oqsy
heteranthera zosterifolia... i'm pretty sure that's it. some places call it heteranthera dubia, but I think they're mistaken or outdated.

Oqsy
True, they are two different plants, Heteranthera zosterifolia is the "original" (indian) stargrass although H. (or Zosterella) dubia is also called water stargrass (or grassleaf mud-plantain). But they look really different from each other.

Eheim Pimp #152
rain- is offline   Reply With Quote