Need a little help
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 12-20-2011, 12:13 AM   #1
zchauvin
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

Need a little help

GLA 60l-18 gallons
ada solar 1- 70 something watts about 6 inches above water, so say, 24 inches above substrate. 10 hrs a day
Micro/Macro 2 pumps of each every morning
ecco pro 80g fully open so I don't think its a flow problem.
Pressurized co2 at about 3-4 bps

This is weird and new to me algae wise... tank has been setup about 3 weeks- I've got 2 fire red shrimp, 1 oto, and 9 h. rasboro. Ive got a little bit of diatoms showing up but lots of bba on my glosso and a few bolbitis leaves and what looks like green hair algae in my moss. Anybody have any ideas other than lifting the light higher above water?
zchauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2011, 11:44 AM   #2
zchauvin
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Anyone can help? Today I'll be cutting all the bba out of tank that I can find and attempting to get green algae out of moss with toothbrush, then Ill do a 50-75% wc and raise the light a few inches. Co2 is already upped to keep drop checker yellow, I'm thinking around 45ppm.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:41 PM   #3
BBradbury
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Algae Question

Hello z...

You just have unstable water conditions, typical of a new tank. I suggest two things: Keep the water conditions stable by removing and replacing a minimum of half the tank water every 6 to 7 days. Just replace it with pure, treated tap water. Large, weekly water changes are the best way to keep water conditions stable and will remove the extra phosphates and nitrates algae needs for growth.

Also, during the water change when the water level is low, plant a couple of hardy stem plants like Water wisteria and Pennywort. These will use up any left over nutrients not removed by the water changes.

By removing the bulk of the food in the water, the algae will strink to a more manageable size. A little is a good thing.

B
Old 12-20-2011, 01:58 PM   #4
touch of sky
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

You could also try cutting the lights back to 8 hours a day for a while and see if that helps.
I am not too sure from your details what type of light you have and what the wattage is. Perhaps you could clarify that, please.
touch of sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 02:11 PM   #5
zchauvin
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by touch of sky View Post
You could also try cutting the lights back to 8 hours a day for a while and see if that helps.
I am not too sure from your details what type of light you have and what the wattage is. Perhaps you could clarify that, please.
ada solar 2- 2 39w pc lights.. comes to a little over 3wpg

also, I've been doing 50% wc every other day
Old 12-20-2011, 02:18 PM   #6
touch of sky
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I, personally, would cut the light back to 8 hours, and raise it higher from the surface of the water.

You could also start dosing with Excel.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:26 PM   #7
zchauvin
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I shall try
Old 12-20-2011, 06:15 PM   #8
touch of sky
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Please keep us posted on how it works out. One thing to remember, is that it will take a few weeks to see how the changes to the lighting affect the tank.

The Excel will work fairly quickly, though, particularly if you spot treat the algae. Do a search on the forum for treating algae with Excel. I believe there are a few quite extensive threads on the technique.

If you lower the water so that the algae is exposed, you can squirt a dose of Excel directly on the exposed algae.

I would do a search on Excel and your shrimp first, though. I have never kept that type of shrimp. I have used regular dosing of Excel with Amano shrimp without any problem.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:15 PM   #9
happi
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (20/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi

need to adjust the co2, there is no need to adjust the light. try adding more co2 into the tank, don't let the drop checker or bps fools ya.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:40 PM   #10
touch of sky
Planted Tank Enthusiast

A planted tank is a balance between many things including light, CO2, and fertilizing. Once these things are in balance, then algae becomes less of a problem. One can increase the CO2 to keep up with the light, or decrease the light to be in balance with the CO2. If you decide to increase the CO2, my suggestion would be to do it when you will be spending a bit of time at home and can keep an eye on your fish. We are not only trying to grow plants, but also trying to have a healthy environment for fish. JMO
Old 12-21-2011, 01:21 AM   #11
zchauvin
Planted Tank Enthusiast

well I have upped my co2 so that I can't even count the bps and it doesn't seem to be doing much... my drop checker got a tad bit lighter green but not yellow.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:47 AM   #12
Storm
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

Any changes you make now won't be noticeable for a couple weeks.

Remove as much algae from the tank and do every other day water changes for a couple weeks. Try raising your light and reducing your photo period to 6 or 7 hours, and make sure that there is no sunlight hitting your tank at different times of the day. Make sure your drop checker is lime green. If you see an improvement, you can start slowly increasing your photo period by 30 minutes a week.

Also, BBA especially is caused by a light/co2 imbalance (too much light and too little co2). Dosing a cap of excel before lights on will help to make sure the plants have enough carbon and it's also an algaecide in and of itself.

Good luck! Once you get the balance right, it will be easy to maintain, but the first few weeks of tank setup are critical.

You didn't say what type of substrate you're using, but if it's Aquasoil you really have to stay on top of those early daily water changes in the first week, then every other day after that. Algae loves ammonia and if your substrate is leeching ammonia, that will feed them.