Roots everywhere!!!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 06-28-2005, 03:00 AM   #1
Cheeseybacon
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to Cheeseybacon Send a message via Yahoo to Cheeseybacon
Thumbs down

Roots everywhere!!!

All of my plants are blasting out roots EVERYWHERE. From the top of the plant to the bottom, pretty much every plant I have is sprouting roots out from all directions. I for one think all these roots are really ugly. Is this normal? Is it a sign of a nutrient deficiency of some kind? Does it mean I have things improrly planted or rooted in the substrate? Or is it just what happens to these types of plants when they grow?

Just for the record, I only have about a 1.75 - 2" deep of Ecocomplete, and most of my plants are stem plants (cabomba, ludwigia, green hedge). The only one of the bunch not exhibiting this is my microsword.

Old 06-28-2005, 03:15 AM   #2
Fosty
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (30/100%)

Most likely it means that the plants are not getting the nutrients they need from the water and send out extra roots to try to absorb more nutrients. You way want to look into dosing your tanks water column if you don't already.
Filstar Pimp #26
38 Gallon
20 Gallon Long

"keep on keepin' on!"
Fosty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2005, 04:30 AM   #3
Cheeseybacon
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hmmmmmm. At the moment I dose 1 capful of flourish once a week following a 50% water change. I must admit my lighting probably isn't quite up to snuff with everything else. Think that would cause it?
Old 06-28-2005, 06:08 AM   #4
motifone
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Actually, it is my understanding that certain plants will do this, even if your nutrients in the water column are up to par. Plants like Wisteria, Pennywort, Ludwiga -- mostly stem plants -- will send out varying degrees of roots from their nodes. Some will be more rabid than others.

Remedy? Basically, you just need to pinch or snip them off.

It's an aesthetic thing. I'm not really fond of all the roots either, which is why I now stock my tank with only 1 stem plant. I also grew tired of their fast growth and pruning requirements.

Steve
motifone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2005, 11:55 PM   #5
Cheeseybacon
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hmmmmm, maybe I need to start ditching the stem plants and adding other plants. (I've had these stem plants forever now)
Old 06-29-2005, 12:15 AM   #6
BSS
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

I saw the same things on L. repens and H. difformis. I don't have near the problem on Bacopa, L. aromatica and other slower growing stem plants. So, maybe it's a more serious problem on faster growing stems?!?
Old 06-29-2005, 12:26 AM   #7
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (3/100%)

Its perfectly normal and Ludwigia's are probably the worst at it... also the Hygro's of all kinds. You either need to ditch these plant varieties or get out the scissors and simply "groom them into shape, there is no way to avoid it.
I have found that lower end lighting tends to make the roots a bit more prolific but again, it is unavoidable and normal...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.