DIY CO2, how much water?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 12-16-2011, 04:24 PM   #1
buffheman
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

DIY CO2, how much water?

I've read differning opinions on water in different recipes. The article hosted here on plantedtank just gives the sugar to yeast ratio, then says fill the bottle up with water most of the way.

But on this super helpful article, it recommends just using 2 cups of water for a 2 liter bottle.

http://www.qsl.net/w2wdx/aquaria/diyco2.html

So what I should be doing? I know having the bottle filled will allow the system to pressurize more quickly, but I don't know how water impacts the reaction.
buffheman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2011, 04:46 PM   #2
Daximus
Got dirt?

The water is just a medium for the yeast to eat the sugar. I generally made sure the 2 liter was no more than 3/4 full once all the ingredients we added...but I never measured.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:13 PM   #3
buffheman
Algae Grower

But does the concentration of sugar in the water affect the reaction? Like, would a more dilute formula slow the reaction, producing less CO2 but prolonging it?
Old 12-16-2011, 08:33 PM   #4
Daximus
Got dirt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffheman View Post
But does the concentration of sugar in the water affect the reaction? Like, would a more dilute formula slow the reaction, producing less CO2 but prolonging it?
Don't take me to the bank on this, but...I think having more water would slow the process making it last longer. Not because of anything to do with the sugar or the yeast, but because what ultimately happens is that this process starts fermenting and creating alcohol. It is this rise in the amount of alcohol that kills off the yeast and stops your reaction. Therefore, I think more water might, maybe, slow this "burn out" process as the produced alcohol would take longer to rise to high levels when diluted with more water.

I have nothing to back this up. It's a theory.
Old 12-17-2011, 03:03 AM   #5
Pgaks3
Algae Grower

if you are looking to slow down the yeast digesting the sugar a pinch of salt will slow the reaction down, to much will kill the yeast though, never tried it in a fish tank but i know from 15 yrs of cooking/baking the ratio between salt and yeast controls how fast your dough will rise

sheb
Pgaks3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2011, 02:39 PM   #6
buffheman
Algae Grower

So I've set up my mixture and everything... I waited 24 hours and wasn't getting any bubbles so I figured I had screwed something up. When I opened the bottle to try a new mixture, there was definitely pressure in it.

I took out my diffuser and just tried to blow through it to see if I could make bubbles, and I couldn't. Does it take a crazy amount of pressure to get through this thing? Should I be able to blow bubbles through my diffuser?

http://www.amazon.com/Hagen-Fluval-R.../dp/B004H2B8I0

EDIT: Ok... so apparently I'm not supposed to be able to blow through it. So follow up question, is this diffuser meant for a paintball system? Will my yeast setup generate enough pressure to use it?
Old 12-18-2011, 01:25 AM   #7
jstehman
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

I doubt that your DIY C02 will build enough pressure to go through a diffusor disk. Better try a bubble ladder or diffuse through a powerhead.

Fill a 2L bottle 1/2 full of lukewarm water. Add 1 to 1 1/2 cups white sugar. Shake until dissolved. Fill water to 3/4 full with lukewarm water. Water temps over 70 will kill yeast . Add 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon yeast. Shake again.

Wait.

You want it to be a slow, steady reaction. Too much yeast or sugar will result in increased c02 production but reduced duration.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:59 PM   #8
dfritschle
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstehman View Post
I doubt that your DIY C02 will build enough pressure to go through a diffusor disk. Better try a bubble ladder or diffuse through a powerhead.

Fill a 2L bottle 1/2 full of lukewarm water. Add 1 to 1 1/2 cups white sugar. Shake until dissolved. Fill water to 3/4 full with lukewarm water. Water temps over 70 will kill yeast . Add 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon yeast. Shake again.

Wait.

You want it to be a slow, steady reaction. Too much yeast or sugar will result in increased c02 production but reduced duration.
Water temps over 70 F will not kill yeast. Many baking recipes call for water between 100 and 120 F.
dfritschle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2011, 08:25 PM   #9
iskandarreza
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daximus View Post
Don't take me to the bank on this, but...I think having more water would slow the process making it last longer. Not because of anything to do with the sugar or the yeast, but because what ultimately happens is that this process starts fermenting and creating alcohol. It is this rise in the amount of alcohol that kills off the yeast and stops your reaction. Therefore, I think more water might, maybe, slow this "burn out" process as the produced alcohol would take longer to rise to high levels when diluted with more water.

I have nothing to back this up. It's a theory.
I have rough data that I have collected since I started playing with DIY CO2, so far it matches your theory:

1 cup of sugar + 1l water + 5ml yeast at 30C/80F ambient temperature = 16days peak

2 cups of sugar + 1l water + 5ml yeast at 30C/80F ambient temperature = 21 days

1 cup of sugar + 1l water + 10ml yeast at 30C/80F ambient temperature = 11days

2 cups of sugar + 1l water + 10ml yeast at 30C/80F ambient temperature = 14days

New experiment

1 cup of sugar + 1l water + 5ml yeast at 30C/80F ambient temperature = 16days
+ siphoned of most of the top still water, added back plain water = reaction restarted after 1 day and ran for 6days, 23 days total

2 cups of sugar + 1l water + 5ml yeast at 30C/80F ambient temperature = 21 days
+ siphoned of most of the top still water, added back plain water = restarted reaction after 4 hours, continued 10days so total of 31 days and still counting.

I have another experiment running where I have managed to isolate a slightly more alcohol resistant strain. I tasted the solution it produced, it was like soju.
The Fraternity of Dirt #55
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

15 Gallon Dirt Tank Journal
iskandarreza is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2011, 04:06 AM   #10
jstehman
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Maybe "kill" was the wrong term to use. I tend to get better results (longer fermentation) when pitching at closer to room temp. plus they start up faster
Old 12-19-2011, 04:12 AM   #11
Rich Conley
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffheman View Post
So I've set up my mixture and everything... I waited 24 hours and wasn't getting any bubbles so I figured I had screwed something up. When I opened the bottle to try a new mixture, there was definitely pressure in it.

I took out my diffuser and just tried to blow through it to see if I could make bubbles, and I couldn't. Does it take a crazy amount of pressure to get through this thing? Should I be able to blow bubbles through my diffuser?

http://www.amazon.com/Hagen-Fluval-R.../dp/B004H2B8I0

EDIT: Ok... so apparently I'm not supposed to be able to blow through it. So follow up question, is this diffuser meant for a paintball system? Will my yeast setup generate enough pressure to use it?
I use one of those with DIY yeast CO2. Works fine. It shuts down easy if it starts to get clogged though.
Rich Conley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2011, 04:14 AM   #12
Rich Conley
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstehman View Post
Maybe "kill" was the wrong term to use. I tend to get better results (longer fermentation) when pitching at closer to room temp. plus they start up faster
Longer makes sense, starting faster doesn't at all.

Yeast is way more active at 100 degrees than it is at 70.
Rich Conley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2011, 04:37 AM   #13
kevmo911
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Nano glass diffusers will generally work with DIY CO2. Larger diffusers are hit or miss. No idea what the Hagen is like.
kevmo911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2011, 04:01 PM   #14
buffheman
Algae Grower

I tried a new mixture. I have 2 cups sugar, 1/2 teaspoon yeast... I boiled a little water to dissolve the sugar in, then filled up the bottle the rest of the way with cold water to help cool it... I stirred the yeast up in some warm water and let it breathe for a little bit, then tossed it in the bottle.

12 hours later, I was getting a steady flow through the diffuser once the pressure built up. I wanted to use a lower amount of yeast to make the the mixture last longer, but we'll see how long this goes.

I'm just glad it's working!
Old 12-19-2011, 06:04 PM   #15
Bandit1200
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

If you have access to a local brew club and/or supply store, check out some of the champagne yeasts. They are specifically bred to tolerate much higher alcohol levels than a standard yeast will. That's what I was using before I switched to a pressurized system
Bandit1200 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.