46-Gallon OEBT tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 12-18-2011, 03:12 AM   #1
dhgyello04
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (34/100%)

46-Gallon OEBT tank

Hello,
I finally got some decant pics of my OEBT’s. I have them in a fully planted 46-gallon tank that I am letting nature take course and wow… eggs after eggs. I am still trying to find out why the survival rate of the babies are so low unless there in all the plants and I can’t see them. I hope you enjoy them and I will expect some feedback from the big breeders.

Don

Last edited by dhgyello04; 12-18-2011 at 05:27 PM..
dhgyello04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2011, 03:40 AM   #2
cardgenius
Planted Member

PTrader: (13/93%)

Looks good. The babies could be hiding. If you don't see any juvies in a few weeks, id then say that your probably loosing them.

What water parameters are you keeping them in?
cardgenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 03:48 AM   #3
MrFusion
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

The fish in the second to last picture thinks your baby shrimp are delicious.
MrFusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 03:52 AM   #4
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

The otto? Otto's are the only shrimp safe fish. Unless the baby shrimps are swimming down its "throat" my guess is they're all hiding. Or getting sucked into the filter. If you don't see any in a few weeks something might be up.

Nice little OEBT haven you set up for them. I'm sure they appreciate the stable conditions from the 40 :]! Looks like you could put a few assassins in there, or start crushing those pond snails for snacks.

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆ Twin 10G Shrimp Tanks & 20L Grow Out Tank
diwu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:23 AM   #5
MrFusion
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

DOH! I mistook it for one of our native killifish.
MrFusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 12:40 PM   #6
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFusion View Post
DOH! I mistook it for one of our native killifish.
Ya know, you could be right. Can't see the sucker mouth at all in that picture. But who would be crazy enough to put a predator fish with expensive OEBT haha

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆ Twin 10G Shrimp Tanks & 20L Grow Out Tank
diwu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 01:47 PM   #7
Moe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (49/100%)

With a fully planted tank its going to be hard to find babies, if your females stay berried then there happy.
Fluval EBI Pimp #12
Moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 04:15 PM   #8
dhgyello04
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardgenius View Post
What water parameters are you keeping them in?
I don't know all the parameters. I know the ph is arround 6.8 and temp 70. I use R/O water straight during the top offs and add minerals on W/C day. I have a hard time judging the kh and gh due to being slightly colored blind. I now it's a little low.
Old 12-18-2011, 04:22 PM   #9
dhgyello04
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe View Post
With a fully planted tank its going to be hard to find babies, if your females stay berried then there happy.
I see atleast 10 - 15 berried ladies at all time. So yes thier happy
Old 12-18-2011, 04:43 PM   #10
swissian
Planted Member

PTrader: (14/100%)

Do you have a picture of the whole tank? I just set up my 58 to be an OEBT tank a couple of months ago and am finally getting berried females. Do you have any fish other than ottos in it?
swissian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 05:28 PM   #11
dhgyello04
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissian View Post
Do you have a picture of the whole tank? I just set up my 58 to be an OEBT tank a couple of months ago and am finally getting berried females. Do you have any fish other than ottos in it?
I just added one to the top of first post. I can't wait to see your thread on the 58 gallon.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:31 AM   #12
Aquasapien69
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

What a happy home for those guys!!! Awesome job man. Something to just sit, watch and relax in front of....

If you're berried all the time, then I'd say you're doing something right. Besides maybe hiding or getting sucked up, the only thing I can think of is not enough biofilm and microfauna for them to eat. Has it been running for a while? Could try one of those powder-ish foods to suppliment for the babies once or a couple times a week. I use some in a pretty heavy populated and planted tank and think it helps a bit. Just keep an eye on your Amm and Nite's with that stuff. If it's not eaten, then you know what that leads to. Less is better. Which substrate are you using - Fluval? Thanks for the show!!
Aquasapien69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 05:35 AM   #13
Cardinal Tetra
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (110/99%)

Wow very nice. It isn't everyday that we see a shrimp tank this large. Most of the shrimp tanks around are 10-20g or smaller. Are you dosing any ferts or using CO2?

Unemployed, poor, and still living off the parents.
Cardinal Tetra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 03:34 PM   #14
swissian
Planted Member

PTrader: (14/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhgyello04 View Post
I just added one to the top of first post. I can't wait to see your thread on the 58 gallon.
Once I get back from Christmas vacation, I'll think about posting one :P I finally got the algae under control! Plus, my long-finned albino bristlenose plecos seem to have made at least one baby!
swissian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 05:03 PM   #15
dhgyello04
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquasapien69 View Post
What a happy home for those guys!!! Awesome job man. Something to just sit, watch and relax in front of....

If you're berried all the time, then I'd say you're doing something right. Besides maybe hiding or getting sucked up, the only thing I can think of is not enough biofilm and microfauna for them to eat. Has it been running for a while? Could try one of those powder-ish foods to suppliment for the babies once or a couple times a week. I use some in a pretty heavy populated and planted tank and think it helps a bit. Just keep an eye on your Amm and Nite's with that stuff. If it's not eaten, then you know what that leads to. Less is better. Which substrate are you using - Fluval? Thanks for the show!!
Hello,
Thanks for the kind words. This tank has been a piece of work in the making. It is a 4 year old tank that has been through 3 major transformations before it was a shrimp tank. Itís time for me to clean out the filter anyway, but I donít think I will find any shrimp there. I am using a Fluval edge intake filter sponge over the piece that connects on the intake of the Fluval 305 filter. I did in fact have a crappy sponge on there before that the holes where way too big and when I cleaned out the filter I found 6 adults and 8 shrimplets. I have been feeding the shrimp the Fluval shrimp granules with the occasional veggie. I was going to get some of the shrimp ball food or some other food. Yes I am using the Fluval stratum shrimp substrate. I also mixed in two bags of the plant stratum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal Tetra View Post
Wow very nice. It isn't everyday that we see a shrimp tank this large. Most of the shrimp tanks around are 10-20g or smaller. Are you dosing any ferts or using CO2?
Hello
Yes I am dosing with the Seachemís line. I use Excel, Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Potassium, Iron, and Flourish. I donít use CO2. I regulate the light time to minimize the algae.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissian View Post
Once I get back from Christmas vacation, I'll think about posting one :P I finally got the algae under control! Plus, my long-finned albino bristlenose plecos seem to have made at least one baby!
I look forward to seeing it.