moving crypts around your tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 06-22-2005, 04:55 PM   #1
mikey
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

moving crypts around your tank

I have read lots that says crypts are real finicky and like to melt at the drop of a hat. I have a bronze wendtii that I have had for 2 weeks (tank inception date) and have moved it once already. I really really really want to move it once more. Will I kill it if I do?... Right know it looks pretty darn good.
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2005, 05:54 PM   #2
hOAGART
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)

you never know until you try ..
Old 06-22-2005, 05:54 PM   #3
Salamastre
Algae Grower

Default My own experience

I am new with planted tanks, but here is my experience:

Bought bronze crypto 6 weeks ago to put in a new small tank. Not having read anything about cryptos, I separated the rizhome into 5 smaller plants, and set them in the tank. Then I moved them arround almost every other day for the next 2 weeks until I got the look I wanted, while simultaneously setting up and tweaking DIY C02. If you ask the experts, that is a sure recipee for killing cryptos.

2 weeks ago the bronze was all droopy, and the oldest leaves where laying on top of the substrate, covered in detritus. I trimmed these leaves close to the crown, and having now read the experts, just expected the plants to die.

Last week most of my plants started pearling, and the oxygen bubbles uderneath the bronze's leaves makes them float and weave in the water. I have lots of new growth, and the largest plant put out 2 new leaves in 4 days.

SO MY non-expert advice would be: Move them, and if they seem to start melting, don't give up until they are definitely dead, they may resurrect sooner than you expect.

MY personal theory on why nothing happened to my plants, is that I have a Schroedinger's Planted Tank: Since I don't own any test kits at all, I have no way of observing my water quality parameters, and beign unobserved, they remain in an indeterminate state; the cryptos, not knowing if they are supposed to be dead or alive, just keep on growing. If things seem to be OK, I will never test my water parameters, and I advice everyone should do the same.
Salamastre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 06:58 PM   #4
BSS
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

I asked about this a while back. The concensus appeared to be that crypts most often melt when water conditions drastically change (e.g when going into a new tank). Many have had success relocating within a given tank with minimal melting. The technique I liked best (for short moves) was to just 'slide' the plants to their new location and redistribute the substrate after the move. That worked pretty well for me, and I moved dozens of crypts.

And, if they do melt, they're not dead. Just the current leaves. Leave it alone in the new location and new growth should sprout.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:16 PM   #5
uncskainch
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to uncskainch Send a message via MSN to uncskainch Send a message via Yahoo to uncskainch

I did the same thing when I first got my crypts -- moved them around all the time the first couple of weeks. I had one or two leaves melt off some of the plents, but there was always new growth close behind. I haven't kept crypts for long, so I'm not an expert by any stretch, but I wouldn't let concerns that they might melt keep me from moving the crypts to a more suitable location in the tank.

And, for what it's worth, when I've moved mine I've often had baby crypts pop up from left-behind bits of rhizome in the old location!
29 g planted community tank, 2.48 WPG, DIY CO2, Greg Watson ferts -- Tank Journal Here! -- 5 gallon planted Marineland 5 gallon hex with 15w 6500k CF, Excel, 100% flourite substrate -- RCS & male dwarf puffer -- Tank Journal Here! -- 2.5 gallon planted MiniBow w/10w 6500 k CF, Excel -- mystery snail & RCS -- Tank Journal Here!
uncskainch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 07:26 PM   #6
mikey
Planted Member

well as soon as I get some new batteries for my rc bulldozer, I'll crank it up and start "movin the earth"

thanks all
Old 06-22-2005, 07:43 PM   #7
jart
Wannabe Guru

I recently added some balansae. I was holding off on adding crypts since I had wondered if the weekly fluctuations induced by the EI method might cause them grief. So far so good after 4 weeks. I've moved the crypts a couple of times. I would suggest not planting them anywhere near vals or the like; I have had to remove runners from the vals every 2 weeks or so and in doing so it was hard to not disrupt the crypt.
jart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 10:00 PM   #8
mikey
Planted Member

well I moved it and I moved it and I moved it. Seems like with an 18" deep tank when you think you are in the middle, you ain't even close.
Ill see in a few days how happy it likes its new home.
Old 06-23-2005, 07:27 PM   #9
eds
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

I have found my Crypt wendtii and balansae to be nowhere near as fragile as warned.
Regarding the "bulldozer" method, I have no way of being sure, but I suspect that shoving around a couple of bunches of crypt that way stirred up a whole bunch of organic material, contributing to a major case of green water I enjoyed a while back. Just my non-expert guess.

30gal - 55W AH, ecco 2232, flourite/gravel, DIY CO2 w/ Hagen ladder

3gal - endlers/cherry shrimp
4W cf, Red Sea deco nano, flourite
eds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 10:23 AM   #10
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (3/100%)

Balansae's are easily moved...they are the toughest crypt IMO. Wendtii's are hit or miss but if you do get a melt and it seems long gone...leave the roots and withered old stems and 99% of the time you will see a plant there someday.
I tore out a tankful of wendtii's for a new look and I must have missed a root or two because 3 months later I had new baby crypts growing without ever planting 1 !!
Old 06-27-2005, 12:14 AM   #11
mikey
Planted Member

Its only been 4 days since I moved my Wendtii and it is really growing well. Of course I have algae issues so I just have more leaves to enjoy an algae bath.