Fishykid's 15G Self-Built rimless - Self built Fun
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 12-16-2011, 06:16 PM   #1
fishykid1
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Fishykid's 15G Self-Built rimless - Self built Fun

You would think 3 tanks is enough in the 12X13 foot bedroom of mine, but nope. I enjoy my aquatic friends way to much to keep it there.

This tank won't cost much at all to setup because I already have all of the equipment, just need the substrate.

The goodies:

Tank: Home-built rimless tank (24X12X12) - great demensions
Filter: Fluval 205
Light: DIY LED fixture (12X Cree xpg CW, 5X Cree XPE RB- will be dimmed) or 2X24W t5 (I have both)
Substrate: For now Seachem Flourite from other tanks. I will likely switch to mostly black diamond sand later

Planned plants:
C. petchii
C. wendtii 'green'
C. Wendtii 'bronze'
C. parva
Staurogyne Repens
Moss - can't decide which sp.

fauna -
10X Rummy Nose Tets
1X Male Featherfin - I need a couple females
~XX Red cherry shrimp

This is the tank I built before I brought it inside - hadn't cleaned up any edges - filled and sat for 5 days - no leaks

I still need to build the stand for it, but it's going to be a simple 2X4 stained stand...nothing fancy like the last few I've made.

Last edited by fishykid1; 03-14-2012 at 05:00 PM..
fishykid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2011, 06:39 PM   #2
.Mko.
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

looks good cant wait to see you set it up =)
Old 12-16-2011, 09:23 PM   #3
fishykid1
Wannabe Guru

Won't be running till after Christmas, but there will be setup pictures.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:19 PM   #4
Da Plant Man
Nerd Alert.

PTrader: (74/100%)

Yay! I think my 15g is the same dimensions. I picked it up for $10 at a thrift store, I derimmed it, and now I am going to make it into a terrarium

We gotta have more pics than it just sitting outside. Can't wait!

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
Da Plant Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:03 PM   #5
fishykid1
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Plant Man View Post
Yay! I think my 15g is the same dimensions. I picked it up for $10 at a thrift store, I derimmed it, and now I am going to make it into a terrarium

We gotta have more pics than it just sitting outside. Can't wait!
Building it was a good experience, took a lot of patience Don't worry Caton, pictures will come.
Old 12-17-2011, 03:40 AM   #6
pagemee
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Building you own tank is brave. I would always doubt my seams, but looks good. Post your progress for us learners. My tank requires feedback, no advice yet. http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...ed-pretty.html
pagemee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 05:48 AM   #7
Da Plant Man
Nerd Alert.

PTrader: (74/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishykid1 View Post
Building it was a good experience, took a lot of patience Don't worry Caton, pictures will come.

Thats cool. I would have rather built mine for the experience rather than buy it. Yours looks great! :thumbsup

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
Da Plant Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 01:16 PM   #8
fishykid1
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagemee View Post
Building you own tank is brave. I would always doubt my seams, but looks good. Post your progress for us learners. My tank requires feedback, no advice yet. http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...ed-pretty.html
I was extremely careful to ensure that the seems were solid. By putting a little to much silicon on the seems and having it seep out on both sides pretty evenly, I pretty much ensured a solid seem. The only thing I was slightly disappointed about was that the bottom pan of glass was about 1/16" off which makes it stick out about 1/16", go figure.
Old 12-17-2011, 01:37 PM   #9
HolyAngel
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via AIM to HolyAngel

T5's will be waaaaay too much light on this tank unless you have no reflector and have them raised a foot+ off the top.. I'd honestly go with t8's instead, or led's, but less LEDs than you stated. I have a 15gal with this exact size with similar setup and ya, even with pressurized co2 2 t5's is asking for an algea farm. Other than that the tank and rest of the setup sounds good, good luck!
Old 12-22-2011, 03:45 AM   #10
fishykid1
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyAngel View Post
T5's will be waaaaay too much light on this tank unless you have no reflector and have them raised a foot+ off the top.. I'd honestly go with t8's instead, or led's, but less LEDs than you stated. I have a 15gal with this exact size with similar setup and ya, even with pressurized co2 2 t5's is asking for an algea farm. Other than that the tank and rest of the setup sounds good, good luck!
You didn't have enough co2 then if you had problems with algae with no reflectors and a foot above the tank.

Secondly, I'm not using the t5's on this setup. The LED fixture that I'm using will be controlled by an Arduino that I'm building and programming to run from dawn to dusk and I can control the brightness via code. I will also control the signal for the co2 solenoid via the arduino, so if the arduino looses power, neither the co2 or lights will come on. Total cost is about 40$ and a few hours of simple programming ( I already use the arduino programming environment for work.

This is an experiment, btw.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:27 AM   #11
knuggs

PTrader: (77/100%)

Are you still working on this tank? I love crypt jungles! I did it with my 40b main tank Nice job building your own tank!
Old 05-22-2012, 02:42 AM   #12
fishykid1
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuggs View Post
Are you still working on this tank? I love crypt jungles! I did it with my 40b main tank Nice job building your own tank!

Hey knuggs, yes I am! I finally got it planted properly about 2 weeks ago. No crypt melt what so ever on this tank. Guess crypts don't always melt...

Pictures soon!