Fat Guy's ADA Iwagumi- moving across the country!! - Page 8
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 11-23-2011, 02:11 AM   #106
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

Looking great. How are your pipes holding up? Thinking about trying to make some if I can afford a canister for one of my tanks.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2011, 02:48 AM   #107
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

PTrader: (24/100%)

BBA is from lack of co2 - increase the amount of co2 you add to the tank (and supplement excel is good too), aside from that, looks great!
Francis Xavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 05:40 AM   #108
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
Looking great. How are your pipes holding up? Thinking about trying to make some if I can afford a canister for one of my tanks.
the pipes are holding up great. if you are thinking about making some, I suggest you do. very very happy with mine.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:45 AM   #109
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Xavier View Post
BBA is from lack of co2 - increase the amount of co2 you add to the tank (and supplement excel is good too), aside from that, looks great!
Hey Frank,

I'll keep an eye on the CO2. Maybe it is the culprit. I've got pretty excellent diffusion happening in the tank right now. however, I may be completely wrong. this is the first time I've seen this algae in this tank. Part of me is also thinking it's time to change the light bulb. co2 and light and the plant detritus could all be the culprit. thanks for the info. My drop checker solution may need to be renewed. I'm gonna take a look at it manana. much love. -el g
Old 12-16-2011, 12:43 AM   #110
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

I decided to change it up all together. It will be about a year since I set this tank up. So I pulled everything and replanted and rescaped. It's funny because I rescaped for quite some time one night. Filled it with water, went to bed, and was very unhappy with the outcome when I awoke the next morning. So I drained the tank et al and went to work. I never planned a scape like this, it just kind of happened in a matter of a few minutes. really digging it. Got the heat gun out and reshaped one of my outflow pipes into a more custom style jet shape and am very happy with the outcome. Placed the DHG in the back right corner and filled the rest in with HC. what's hard to tell in the photo is the slope. It's amazing how without water, the slope is so prevalent, then when the water is added, your depth perception gets distorted. Regardless, I'm very excited with the new layout. I'm looking forward to the plants filling in. The HC grows so fast in here it's quite amazing. I think it's going to look really great in front of the main rock. It'll be a huge HC field with the DHG in the background. The sponge over the intake in the photo is to save the shrimps from the eheim. much love to all viewing. -el g

Old 12-16-2011, 12:54 AM   #111
karatekid14
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

Really, really nice. I love how it pulls your eye down and to the "field" of HC. I had the same problem with slope, it disappeared even though it hasn't moved unlike how sand sometime does. For the intake you should get a stainless steel prefilter thing, it would look much better. I really love the new scape.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:11 AM   #112
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by karatekid14 View Post
Really, really nice. I love how it pulls your eye down and to the "field" of HC. I had the same problem with slope, it disappeared even though it hasn't moved unlike how sand sometime does. For the intake you should get a stainless steel prefilter thing, it would look much better. I really love the new scape.
thanks!! by the way, what is this stainless steel prefilter thing you speak of? I've seen the all metal lily pipes (not for this size tank though)....wait...I think I just found it on the shrimp lab. I need to get one of these.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:14 AM   #113
ClintonParsons
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

I like this. It reminds me of Pride Rock.
ClintonParsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:14 AM   #114
karatekid14
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Guy View Post
thanks!! by the way, what is this stainless steel prefilter thing you speak of? I've seen the all metal lily pipes (not for this size tank though)....wait...I think I just found it on the shrimp lab. I need to get one of these.
Yeah they look way better.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:01 AM   #115
Couesfanatic
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (30/100%)

Looks good, gunna looks sweet when that hc fills in.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:34 PM   #116
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

Adding an update. It's been over a year now with this setup. I started to get some brush algae and even some staghorn. I realized that something was up. My CO2 reactor for one did not seem to be working as efficiently as I would've liked it too. I went back to the glass diffuser. I also pulled all the rocks out. Drained the tank and sifted the substrate, which had become anaerobic. I had way too much substrate in there which had been packed so tight in some sections that it was near impenetrable. I mixed some power sand with the aquasoil and really like the outcome. I've decided to grow more than just HC. I in fact got rid of the HC all together and am going to do an emersed wabi kusa with some of it. I've planted an echinoderus as well as some rotala and a plant which I believe to be nasaea pedicellata (but I'm not sure). The foreground is solely dwarf hair grass. which I think will look really cool with the focal plant grouping. I have noticed a serious change in the behavior of the fish. They seem to be happier. I'm excited. It was time for change. Here it is after planting and rescaping. best, el g

Old 03-05-2012, 12:48 AM   #117
zchauvin
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

Did you see the Ada tanks setup like that?! they do look great once grown.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
zchauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:22 AM   #118
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by zchauvin View Post
Did you see the Ada tanks setup like that?! they do look great once grown.

I've seen some of those tanks. definitely an inspiration.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:10 PM   #119
zchauvin
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

Yeah, they do look really good for a mini

zchauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:33 PM   #120
vvDO
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Guy View Post
I have noticed a serious change in the behavior of the fish. They seem to be happier. I'm excited. It was time for change. Here it is after planting and rescaping. best, el g
When I first saw the new scape I thought... I bet the fish are more at ease with potential hiding places, then I read your comment.

Look forward to seeing your progress.
3+ gallon (40 x 16 x 20.5 cm) aquatic soil, low-tech
Fluval spec V (sitting in a box)
vvDO is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada, iwagumi, lily, mini m