Mr. Aqua 17.5 Riparium - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Riparium/Terrarium/Vivarium

Old 12-12-2011, 03:49 PM   #31
jrsticks
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Looks Great. I am Thinking of buying the Mr aqua 17.5 how do you like it? How is the quality of the craftsmanship. I have herd mixed opinions. Also did you add the black background?
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2011, 11:13 PM   #32
mdreher
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsticks View Post
Looks Great. I am Thinking of buying the Mr aqua 17.5 how do you like it? How is the quality of the craftsmanship. I have herd mixed opinions. Also did you add the black background?
I don't have any complaints. It seems like a pretty good tank to me. I don't have anything else to compare it too, but from what I can tell it was constructed nicely. I don't have any odd corners or ugly silicone

I painted the black background myself. I'm pretty new to this so I picked up a black sample at home depot and rolled it on. It took a lot of coats, but it turned out nice. If I do it again I'll probaby try spray paint. That just seems like it may be easier.
mdreher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2011, 12:00 AM   #33
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (138/100%)

Hey ar ethe leaves opening up on your white mangrove propagules? I had some trouble here where that husk around the propagules got too dry and hard and then they couldn't open up. If you are observing that I woudl recommend hanging the planters down lower so that the husk is touching the water and leave them like that overnight. You can then carefully pick away at the husk to get to the green live part inside and that should open up with the propagule leaves.
hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2011, 12:50 AM   #34
mdreher
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
Hey ar ethe leaves opening up on your white mangrove propagules? I had some trouble here where that husk around the propagules got too dry and hard and then they couldn't open up. If you are observing that I woudl recommend hanging the planters down lower so that the husk is touching the water and leave them like that overnight. You can then carefully pick away at the husk to get to the green live part inside and that should open up with the propagule leaves.
The one that is doing good still has the husk. The other one the husk came off, but it is still bent over and hasn't really grown at all. It doesn't look like it's dying, but it doesn't look like it's growing either. I'm still crossing my fingers that it'll pull through. I'll try that tonight to see how it goes.

On a high night the pilea mollis is blooming! It's is out of control The leather fern has three sprouts now and the aluminum plant has new leaves. I can see root growth in the pandanus tectorius and cat palm.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:18 AM   #35
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

Those are some nice riparium plants you have there...several of my favorites. It takes a whiel but the cat palm grows into a really elegant specimen. The Pandanus tectorius is really cool too.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:58 AM   #36
mdreher
Planted Member

Okay so it looks like I have some hitchhikers in my tank which I think are cool? I think I have some baby snails and some really really really small white worms. Hopefully the worms aren't a bad thing. I plan on adding a dwarf puffer and scarlet badis in the beginning of January so hopefully this will turn into a good food supply for the both of them. Can anyone tell me if the worms are harmful? I've researched and seen people talk about nematodes and planaria worms. Will scarlet badis eat those?
Old 12-14-2011, 07:20 AM   #37
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

IF they are the skinny white worms they'll just make lunch for your fish.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:13 AM   #38
mdreher
Planted Member

So I'm trying to think of a good fish list for this tank. I'll probably start purchasing them after the new year. I'm hoping this is a good list. Any comments would be appreciated or if you can think of something cooler....i'm all ears. Here's the list so far:
Scarlet Badis (1-2)
Pseudomugil Gertrudae(4-6)
Pygmey Cory(4-6)
octocinclus (1)

I'd also like to add a couple more inverts:
Micro Crab (4-6)
Amano Shrimp (1-2)
Assassin Snails (2)
Old 12-20-2011, 01:40 AM   #39
duff
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (29/100%)

Hi mdreher,

are you looking to add all of them eventually or just one group from the fish list?

I only have experience with two if the fish on your list -
Dwarf Corys (several kinds; pygmey and Hastsus) I love them and they are one of my favorite fish but they should be in a group of no less then 6. The more the merrier with these little ones. I have 12 in my 20g and 6 in a 7.5g tank; they are great fun to watch, on the move most of the time, bottom of tank to mid tank and the occasional dart to the surface. They school together some days and others they are off on their own. Very social and leave all my shrimp alone. The 12 group are much more active then the 6. It seems they are more comfortable in a larger group.

Oto's can be happy but they have to be in a very established tank from my experience. I tried them several years ago and only one ever survived more then 6 months and my tank had been running for 2 years before I tried adding them.

For cleaning I have a long finned albino bristlenose pleco - with the body at about 2 inches. small for a pleco and so very colorful (bright yellow). might not be what your looking for but I'd be careful with Oto's as they are tender fish to me.

Personally I love the look of the gertrudae and think they would be a winner for your tank and would be very happy with all the coverage the plants will provide when they grow in. I hear they are jumpers but with coverage and lower water level I suspect you will be fine.

on the others, Amano's are a great choice. But the assasin's (mine) are always buried under the substrate and I only see them once every few weeks to a month, just about the time I figure they are long dead one pops out. I have 3 in a 20g. I was over run with other pest snails and they have decimated the population in 4 months. It seems that i only have 4 nerites and 3 assassins now.

Good luck in your choice -it's always hard!

Duff
Old 12-21-2011, 03:12 PM   #40
SlammedDC2
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)

Good looking rip. I have recently started one and will be getting more work done on it as new stuff comes in.
Gives me good insperation
Old 12-21-2011, 06:00 PM   #41
mdreher
Planted Member

Thanks I appreciate it. Do you have a thread up yet? I'd like to check it out. By the way it's good seeing a fellow Marine on the forum. Semper Fi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlammedDC2 View Post
Good looking rip. I have recently started one and will be getting more work done on it as new stuff comes in.
Gives me good insperation
Old 12-21-2011, 06:03 PM   #42
SlammedDC2
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdreher View Post
Thanks I appreciate it. Do you have a thread up yet? I'd like to check it out. By the way it's good seeing a fellow Marine on the forum. Semper Fi!
OORRAAHH!!
Yes it's the turtle tank in my sig. I'm waiting on a package I've ordered from hydro. Holidays have everything slowed down so it won't ship out til sometime next week. Once I get everything in and going I will take some new pics and get them posted.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:26 PM   #43
mdreher
Planted Member

Default Update

I thought I would post some pics of the how the tank has progressed. I've added some underwater plants, fish, and a few shrimp. I'll try to label everything also. Here's what I have so far (from left to right):

Riparium Plants (planters first then rafts):
Cat Palm, Aluminum Plant, White Mangrove, Pandanus Tectorius, Pilea Molis, and Leather Fern
Click image for larger version

Name:	010.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	39850

Underwater Plants:
Cabomba, Crypt Wendtii Green, Anubias Nana 'petite', Windelov Java Fern, Round pellia, Peacock Moss, Rotala Sp Mini, Corksrew Val

Name:	P1040182.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	39851

Side Shot

Name:	P1040186.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	39852

Corydoras Atropersonatus

Name:	P1040188.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	39853
Old 01-07-2012, 10:14 PM   #44
duff
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (29/100%)

Your tank looks amazing, Job well done!
Old 01-08-2012, 10:27 PM   #45
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

That's looking great. Is the leather fern growing for you I can't see it in the picture? It looks like the Pandanus is happy and growing.

Great job with the underwater area too. I like that moss and that's a great fish too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.