Fluval Ebi! Updates 6/26 - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2011, 09:44 PM   #16
dragonsong93
Algae Grower
 
dragonsong93's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: PA
Posts: 140
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwu13 View Post
Those DW pieces look really great! Will you be removing some of the rocks when you add the DW though? And the frogbit really takes off well, very nice long roots. Makes me really consider getting some.
That's funny because I was hoping the roots wouldn't be this long! But I suppose it'll be better for the shrimp, more room to hide & climb.

BTW! This tank might actually temporarily house some orange eye blue tigers which I might be getting if I'm lucky, fingers & toes both crossed! Super excited!!

Some work done today, added one of the pieces of stubborn driftwood, it's only staying in place because of the rock and the filter holding it down. The other more round piece I think I'm going to put on the right, it looks really nice by those two rocks. Speaking of rocks, I think I'm going to remove the one on the left and replace it with some kind of medium sized plant, it's going to look a bit too cluttered when everything's in place. Also seeded the tank with the filter from my 55g to get it cycled.

Ordered some saggitaria and that's going to arrive Friday at the latest.
Tank today, with the driftwood.



Ps- let me just say I HATE that filter. It works fine, but it's just filling up that whole corner and....ick. Anyone know any suggestions for a less intrusive filter?
dragonsong93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-05-2011, 01:10 AM   #17
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru
 
diwu13's Avatar
 
PTrader: (24/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Willimantic, CT
Posts: 6,168
Default

Your parameters have to be really stable for OEBT's. But I assume you know what you're doing since you wanted CRS and CBS ! But that's great! I'm still to scared to attempt anything expensive as I don't have buffering soil or RO water. That limits me to neos... lol! Trying some regular tigers at the moment as well. If those work out I might try a few green caridina as well.

The only time I would trim the frogbit roots are if they start rooting into the soil :P. Other besides that its great for sucking up those extra nitrites in the entire water column! I'm definitely getting a few haha. You convinced me with another photo. I have a question though, do they multiply fast? Am I going to have my entire top of the tank covered?

To be honest, that driftwood does a great job of hiding your filter haha. I didn't notice it until you pointed it out. If you're pleased with the filtering job its doing maybe you can hide it with taller plants and some moss tied on the driftwood? I use internal filters myself since they seem to work fine for me.

Sounds good for taking out one of the rocks for a DW though. Or you're not gonna have much planting room along the bottom of your tank. Looking forwards to updates! And maybe those OEBT!
__________________
Fish Shrimp tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆ Twin 10G Shrimp Tanks & 20L Grow Out Tank
diwu13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2011, 01:38 AM   #18
airangel
Algae Grower
 
airangel's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Tucson, Az
Posts: 63
Default

New to the forum and haven't gotten my Flora set up yet (still playing with silicone) but you can swap out to a sponge filter, esp if going with shrimp, tons of different sized/shaped ones and totally low maint as well. Just a thought.
airangel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2011, 09:19 PM   #19
dragonsong93
Algae Grower
 
dragonsong93's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: PA
Posts: 140
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwu13 View Post
Your parameters have to be really stable for OEBT's. But I assume you know what you're doing since you wanted CRS and CBS ! But that's great! I'm still to scared to attempt anything expensive as I don't have buffering soil or RO water. That limits me to neos... lol! Trying some regular tigers at the moment as well. If those work out I might try a few green caridina as well.

The only time I would trim the frogbit roots are if they start rooting into the soil :P. Other besides that its great for sucking up those extra nitrites in the entire water column! I'm definitely getting a few haha. You convinced me with another photo. I have a question though, do they multiply fast? Am I going to have my entire top of the tank covered?

To be honest, that driftwood does a great job of hiding your filter haha. I didn't notice it until you pointed it out. If you're pleased with the filtering job its doing maybe you can hide it with taller plants and some moss tied on the driftwood? I use internal filters myself since they seem to work fine for me.

Sounds good for taking out one of the rocks for a DW though. Or you're not gonna have much planting room along the bottom of your tank. Looking forwards to updates! And maybe those OEBT!
The frogbit is probably the fastest growing plant I have right now, the roots are going about 1/2" to 1" a day or more, it's definitely noticeable. If there's too many you can always just toss the extras or keep them in a random bowl of water (like me lol)

I'll see what the filter looks like once I get the saggitaria in there (3 large plants just shipped today) it works good I just don't like how it's taking up the corner space *is used to big tanks with larger spaces*
dragonsong93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2011, 10:14 PM   #20
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru
 
diwu13's Avatar
 
PTrader: (24/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Willimantic, CT
Posts: 6,168
Default

Yea I understand the feeling since I'm running internal filters myself. I like how it lets me put the tanks right up against the walls in my room. Can't do that with a HOB filter. How's the intake on that filter? As airangel said you will have to cover up the opening with some sponge or stocking to stop baby shrimps from getting sucked in.

Good news on the frogbit. How do you stop it from covering the entire top though? Or does the roots mostly grow longer and it doesn't really multiply?
__________________
Fish Shrimp tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆ Twin 10G Shrimp Tanks & 20L Grow Out Tank
diwu13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2011, 11:27 PM   #21
dragonsong93
Algae Grower
 
dragonsong93's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: PA
Posts: 140
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwu13 View Post
Yea I understand the feeling since I'm running internal filters myself. I like how it lets me put the tanks right up against the walls in my room. Can't do that with a HOB filter. How's the intake on that filter? As airangel said you will have to cover up the opening with some sponge or stocking to stop baby shrimps from getting sucked in.

Good news on the frogbit. How do you stop it from covering the entire top though? Or does the roots mostly grow longer and it doesn't really multiply?
I already have a makeshift filter sock/cover which I'm going to put on....whenever I feel like fishing it out of that corner. I think the frogbit does multiply.....a lot, I'm going to have to scoop some out soon and just leave the little ones.
Last week:

THIS WEEK:


GOOD NEWS & bad news, I'm probably not getting the OEBT's because I was outbid, but I did order some CBS and they're going to be here by the end of the week, and my anubias arrived! Also, I broke down and put the driftwood in the tank, using a HIDEOUS contraption made out of two rocks and string. Yea. It's pretty ugly lol....I hope it sinks soon. The smallest piece still in the bucket did today so the others should follow. Once it's off you can see how pretty it is, can't wait till there's some little shrimps scattering all over....


HC is growing a little bit

dragonsong93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2011, 01:49 AM   #22
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru
 
diwu13's Avatar
 
PTrader: (24/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Willimantic, CT
Posts: 6,168
Default

Holy crap that frogbit multiplied like crazy haha... I might have to make a little pen with straws to keep it in place or something. I wouldn't want it covering the light for the other plants.

Too bad about the OEBT. You can always try your hand at them later on! Or you can wait for tigers cause one of mine is berried !

Did you boil the DW? I find that if I boil it, it sinks much faster. If you get some moss and cover the rocks and part of the DW you could potentially keep that as a permanent scape. It looks pretty mountain-like in that corner there!
__________________
Fish Shrimp tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆ Twin 10G Shrimp Tanks & 20L Grow Out Tank
diwu13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2011, 01:59 AM   #23
dragonsong93
Algae Grower
 
dragonsong93's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: PA
Posts: 140
Default

I need to thin down on the frogbit soon lol, I'm keeping it in for water quality's sake until I get more plants for the rest of the tank. I was looking into tigers...which means another tank....and another shelf....and less space for me xD

Today my saggitaria arrived in town and is sitting in the post office till delivery tomorrow (was just stalking tracking numbers)...and MY SHRIMP ARE ON THE WAY! Should have 5 or 6 lil CBS in the tank by this weekend. Part of me wants to just have a swarm of crystal black shrimp but I think I'll end up adding some red into the mix because they're so pretty.

I think I'm going to replace the filter with a sponge filter because it'd be just way easier for me to clean and has a lot more surface area than this filter. But with any luck it should start looking a bit prettier with a background of taller plants and some shrimp
dragonsong93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2011, 02:07 AM   #24
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru
 
diwu13's Avatar
 
PTrader: (24/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Willimantic, CT
Posts: 6,168
Default

If you do decide to set up another tank make sure to start a journal for it! You could always just make lots of tibees ! AND MY TIGERS ARE BERRIED!!!! Two of them are so far. Hoping those breed out!! Snapped a few pics in my journal haha.

At least that isn't as nerve wracking as having the shrimp shipment sitting in the warehouse. Then I'd be tempted to drive and pick those up lol. But congrats on the shrimps arriving soon! After they arrive you'd wanna keep the tank renovations to a minimum if you want lots of breeding. When you start getting babies you can renovate all you want afterwards!

The filter change is really up to you. My shrimp tanks work fine with a HOB. But then again I'm not willing the shell out more money for sponge filters. You could actually keep both the sponge and internal filter inside your tanks and have two sources of beneficial bacteria for when you have to clean one out. But it's all up to you :]!!
__________________
Fish Shrimp tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆ Twin 10G Shrimp Tanks & 20L Grow Out Tank
diwu13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2011, 08:46 AM   #25
MsNemoShrimp
ღ Miss ShrimpTastic! ஐ...
 
MsNemoShrimp's Avatar
 
PTrader: (345/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: La Jolla, CA
Posts: 2,222
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonsong93 View Post
Yup! There's four of them and none are bigger than 1/2"
Wow. How did you get them that way. I have a huge Marimo ball mat, so should I pinch some off and roll it into a ball or something? : )
__________________
`.. ....`...Miss My - I'm 23 - UCSD Graduate.....۩۩๑๑۩۞۩๑

"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." - Eleanor Roosevelt

12G Mr. Aqua Journal - My 1st Iwagumi Rimless
17G Mr. Aqua Journal - My Shrimp Tank
RAOK Club #35 Sharing IS Caring
MsNemoShrimp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2011, 08:26 PM   #26
dragonsong93
Algae Grower
 
dragonsong93's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: PA
Posts: 140
Default

The shrimp have left Cali! I hope they get here ok, we just had a flash snow storm last night, the trees were really pretty this morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwu13 View Post
If you do decide to set up another tank make sure to start a journal for it! You could always just make lots of tibees ! AND MY TIGERS ARE BERRIED!!!! Two of them are so far. Hoping those breed out!! Snapped a few pics in my journal haha.

At least that isn't as nerve wracking as having the shrimp shipment sitting in the warehouse. Then I'd be tempted to drive and pick those up lol. But congrats on the shrimps arriving soon! After they arrive you'd wanna keep the tank renovations to a minimum if you want lots of breeding. When you start getting babies you can renovate all you want afterwards!

The filter change is really up to you. My shrimp tanks work fine with a HOB. But then again I'm not willing the shell out more money for sponge filters. You could actually keep both the sponge and internal filter inside your tanks and have two sources of beneficial bacteria for when you have to clean one out. But it's all up to you :]!!
Congrats on the berries!! Renovations are done for a while now, saggitaria came and I'll snap a few pictures after the water clears. I have room for maybe one plant, I'm thinking of just adding some java moss to the driftwood and then everything's got to grow in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoShrimp View Post
Wow. How did you get them that way. I have a huge Marimo ball mat, so should I pinch some off and roll it into a ball or something? : )
Yea basically that's what you do!

I bought 3 small ones but one was kinda lop-sided so I broke it and half and rolled it into two balls to make the really tiny ones.
dragonsong93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2011, 12:09 AM   #27
dragonsong93
Algae Grower
 
dragonsong93's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: PA
Posts: 140
Default

Shrimp arrived today!! All five alive & well, better pix soon when I get back home.
iPods have issues with tiny shrimp pictures....

dragonsong93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2011, 12:16 AM   #28
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru
 
diwu13's Avatar
 
PTrader: (24/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Willimantic, CT
Posts: 6,168
Default

Whoa wait. Better pictures when you're home? Where is that breeder box then? :O? Did you have the shrimp mailed to your office?

And very true on iPhone having problems with baby shrimps. Might I recommend http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...sr=8-3&seller= ! That's what I use haha
__________________
Fish Shrimp tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆ Twin 10G Shrimp Tanks & 20L Grow Out Tank
diwu13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2011, 12:47 AM   #29
dragonsong93
Algae Grower
 
dragonsong93's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: PA
Posts: 140
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwu13 View Post
Whoa wait. Better pictures when you're home? Where is that breeder box then? :O? Did you have the shrimp mailed to your office?

And very true on iPhone having problems with baby shrimps. Might I recommend http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...sr=8-3&seller= ! That's what I use haha
Box is on the ebi and I transferred them into the tank before going to a friend's house. Will be back tomorrow and then I'll take pictures with my better cam
dragonsong93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2011, 12:06 PM   #30
MitchellLawson
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: scotland
Posts: 147
Default

Really like how the tanks turning out, were did you get the frogbit?
MitchellLawson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012