Filter problem, no known cause....
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 08-06-2003, 02:41 AM   #1
SNPiccolo5
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

On my 10 gallon non-planted tank, I have always ran a little HOB filter. It started with a Whisper, then that broke (was plugged in, but not working). I replaced that with a Biowheel HOB filter, and it worked, but know it has died as well and I got it less than 4 months ago!! What happened to it, is there anything I can do to revive it? If I can't what is a good filter to buy that lasts more than 4 months for a 10 gallon? Thanks for all the replies!

-Tim
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2003, 02:48 AM   #2
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Sometimes the impellers get jammed up with crap. Remove the intake tube and stick your finger in the impeller and jiggle it around a little till it starts spinning free, then reinstall the intake tube. That should take care of it for another 4 mths. I've had this problem with HOBS and as a matter of course thats the first thing I'll do to get it working. 90% of the time it works. The other 10% I usually have to buy a new impeller.

Marcel
FILSTAR Pimp #2

75 gal heavily planted,50/50 Black beauty,Eco-complete substrate, Pressurised CO2 with solenoid, ph controller, AB Reactor 1000, 330 watts 9325K GE PC lighting,Ehiem Liquidoser, 2-Filstar xp3 canisters.
m.lemay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2003, 02:54 AM   #3
chinaboy1021
Planted Tank Obsessed

aquaclear line is best for the price. its quite, and it works. i recommend it to everyone.
chinaboy1021 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2003, 02:56 AM   #4
KyleT
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaboy1021
aquaclear line is best for the price. its quite, and it works. i recommend it to everyone.
I agree Tim, I ran a mini on my 10 gallon nano saltwater for a year, and am now running it on a 10 gallon planted tank and it has never let me down. It is pretty cheap as well. Definately try it out if you can't get your current one working.

Kyle
Old 08-06-2003, 02:57 AM   #5
cich
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via MSN to cich

everything I was going to say has already been said by these two. Go for the Aquaclear if you get a new one; I've used them for years without too many problems.

--cich
cich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2003, 03:42 AM   #6
SNPiccolo5
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'll try jiggling the impeller, and then plug it back in. Thanks for all the quick replies!

-Tim
Old 08-06-2003, 03:59 AM   #7
SNPiccolo5
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hmmmm, I wish I had the "jammed impeller" problem... I really couldn't jiggle it, but I I took it out, washed it off, washed the filter out (to make sure it wasn't going to be jammed again) and then put it back in. It is interesting what happens. If I push it in all the way, it doesn't work, but if I lift it up just slightly, I can hear it "trying" to work. But still no flow, what should I do? I'm not sure a new impeller would do the job, maybe it's aquaclear time.... Thanks for all the help, again.

-Tim
Old 08-06-2003, 04:01 AM   #8
cich
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via MSN to cich

probably better to just get a new filter rather than the new impeller.
As you said, the impeller is not a sure fix, and can be kind of costly relatively. Hope things work out for you :-)

--cich
cich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2003, 01:28 PM   #9
Work In Progress
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to Work In Progress Send a message via MSN to Work In Progress

Right now on my 5gal, I am having the same prob as you. Every few days I have to giggle and lift the intake to get it churning again. Every power filter I have had, has done this.
I hear the Aquaclear is best.
if I was gonna do one again it would be either the Aquaclear or the Eheim Liberty, you could get either of them for like $13 at Big Al's if I remember right. 8)
Old 08-06-2003, 02:22 PM   #10
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNPiccolo5
Hmmmm, I wish I had the "jammed impeller" problem... I really couldn't jiggle it, but I I took it out, washed it off, washed the filter out (to make sure it wasn't going to be jammed again) and then put it back in. It is interesting what happens. If I push it in all the way, it doesn't work, but if I lift it up just slightly, I can hear it "trying" to work. But still no flow, what should I do? I'm not sure a new impeller would do the job, maybe it's aquaclear time.... Thanks for all the help, again.

-Tim
Sounds like a worn endcap bushing. Some filter manufacturers sell replacement service parts. Those little rubber caps seem to disintegrate after a while, leaving the impeller magnet misaligned with the field windings. Hmmm, I might be able to machine them out of brass. Would be neat to offer them as a replacement. Would be too noisy, though.
Old 08-06-2003, 05:26 PM   #11
Guttboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Guttboy

GCA has hit the nail on the head Im pretty sure!

I kept marine reef tanks for years and that was the biggest problem at tank cleaning/maintenance time.

The endcaps can wear out. What you are describing seems to be the problem....I have found on powerheads it was actually cheaper to purchase a new powerhead than get the replacement impeller.

The only other thing that might be happening in my mind is that there was a piece of debris etc that got caught up in the impeller area where that bushing is and actually caused the inside where the impeller is to be damaged. THIS IS NOT COMMON! I have only seen this once in 15 years of keeping tanks.

Mike

10 Gallon...20 Endler's live bearers planted, peat/kitty litter/sand substrate

15 Gallon...Just Schultz Aquatic Plant soil
Guttboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2003, 05:27 PM   #12
SNPiccolo5
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The problem is, I just ordered from Big Als! I got my Filstar XP3 coming, hopefully it will get here today, I ordered on Thursday. So, it would have been much more convenient had this happened a week ago. Anyway, my LFS has pretty decent filter prices, so I'll probably just stop by there. Thanks for all the help and replies!

-Tim
Old 08-06-2003, 05:32 PM   #13
KyleT
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNPiccolo5
The problem is, I just ordered from Big Als! I got my Filstar XP3 coming, hopefully it will get here today, I ordered on Thursday. So, it would have been much more convenient had this happened a week ago. Anyway, my LFS has pretty decent filter prices, so I'll probably just stop by there. Thanks for all the help and replies!

-Tim
With how cheap the Aquaclear mini is it probably won't make a difference whether you buy online or from a store, even if in theory you would have gotten free shipping. I think I got my mini for $13 inc. taxes @ petsmart. Bigals has it for $9.99

Kyle
Old 08-13-2003, 12:58 AM   #14
Carpet-Pond
Algae Grower

Did you give it enough time to fill up? Sometimes some of the brands can take up to a minute to start working... even if you've filled it up all the way with water.
Carpet-Pond is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2003, 02:30 AM   #15
NFish
Planted Member

Location: Colorado, USA, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

I would try one last time by putting in back on the tank, plugging it in, filling it with water while jiggling the intake tube. I have had hob filters stop, but I have allways been able to fix them this way, or buy cleaning the impeller. Make sure the impeller is in all the way and in right.
NFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.