micr0's 12 Gallon Long - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 11-30-2011, 03:44 PM   #16
micr0
Algae Grower

PTrader: (11/100%)

I think one of my advantages with this aquarium is that I work from home (I'm an artist), so the tank gets a lot of attention. It's right next to my painting table and I can address any problems very quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusiongt View Post
Have you thought about what kind of fish you'll be adding? I mentioned how I thought the red looked good - maybe some kind of small red fish? =)
I do love Chili rasboras as suggested...but I already have a school of 11 in my other tank. They are just stunning in person.

Right now I'm still deciding whether to make this a shrimp only tank or not. Either way I plan on including OEBT or nice CRS/CBS.

If I do add fish, I'm thinking of either celestial pearls, gertrudae rainbows (not sure if this is enough space for them), or maybe even gardeneri killifish. I also love hastatus cories. Can never go wrong with cardinals either. Opinions?

Old 12-06-2011, 12:11 AM   #17
thebettashop
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Beautiful setup! how do you like the Mr Aqua tank?
thebettashop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 12:47 AM   #18
zoragen
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

Beautiful tank!
Eheim Pimp Club #490 Ecco 2232
zoragen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 03:46 AM   #19
trixella
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)

Looks awesome! I just got this tank and can't wait to set it up... need to build a stand for it but the weather has been bad here so I can't do all the sanding and staining I need to do yet.

I'd advise against putting killifish in it, they're very good jumpers. I had mine in a covered 10 gallon tank with a divider in it, my betta in one half and my killifish in the other half. I had the water level about 2 inches below the top of the divider and there was only about 3/4 to 1 inch of space between the divider and the top of the tank and the male managed to jump over into the side with my betta. Thankfully I caught them before they killed each other.
trixella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 03:49 AM   #20
Kworker
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

looks great!
Kworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 03:59 AM   #21
zenche
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

really nice looking tank and scape. while i love cpd's, i dont think they'll add enough color? cards would be nice...but maybe neons instead? some of my cards around around 1.75", which seems to me like they'd be a little too big proportionally? maybe also consider Hyphessobrycon amapaensis tetras?

75G - "Hanzomori"
56G - "Rise of the Agassizi"
zenche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 05:20 AM   #22
tr1umph.r2

Awesome tank, hey what kind of lighting is that if you don't mind me asking. I'm slowly putting together a Mr.aqua 12 wide. Got the tank and a Eheim 2213 so far, I'm probably gonna run a second 2213 to even out the flow since the tank is so wide.
tr1umph.r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 03:18 PM   #23
micr0
Algae Grower

Thank you all for the feedback and suggestions! Right now I'm eagerly awaiting the delivery of my GLA Primo CO2 system, which I'm hoping will give me the upper hand while I battle some hair algae in this tank. It flared up this week after I ran out of Fluval 88g cartridges. I stubbornly refused to buy more when I've got the real deal on the way, so in the meantime I had two spare cylinders from the small fluval kit lying around that I'm feeding into the powerhead. Levels have definitely fluctuated a lot and I've been physically removing the algae as it grows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebettashop View Post
Beautiful setup! how do you like the Mr Aqua tank?
I love it. I really couldn't be happier. At $80 delivered from Marine Depot, it seemed like the perfect choice for me. And the 36" length makes the tank seem much bigger than it actually is. Lots of scaping options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixella View Post
Looks awesome! I just got this tank and can't wait to set it up... need to build a stand for it but the weather has been bad here so I can't do all the sanding and staining I need to do yet.

I'd advise against putting killifish in it, they're very good jumpers. I had mine in a covered 10 gallon tank with a divider in it, my betta in one half and my killifish in the other half. I had the water level about 2 inches below the top of the divider and there was only about 3/4 to 1 inch of space between the divider and the top of the tank and the male managed to jump over into the side with my betta. Thankfully I caught them before they killed each other.
Word on the killies. I completely forgot they're jumpers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenche View Post
really nice looking tank and scape. while i love cpd's, i dont think they'll add enough color? cards would be nice...but maybe neons instead? some of my cards around around 1.75", which seems to me like they'd be a little too big proportionally? maybe also consider Hyphessobrycon amapaensis tetras?
I wasn't familiar with Hyphessobrycon amapaensis. Looks really nice!

I'm hesitant to add livestock right now mainly because it makes leaving town more complicated. I already feel bad enough asking my roommate (who knows zero about aquariums) to feed my other tank, add water, fertilize, etc. I'm leaving next week and won't be back until January 9. The lights and co2 will be automated, but I'm already mentally preparing myself for what my tank will look like without anyone on algae/WC duty. It's all good though I'll whip it back into condition.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:20 PM   #24
micr0
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by tr1umph.r2 View Post
Awesome tank, hey what kind of lighting is that if you don't mind me asking. I'm slowly putting together a Mr.aqua 12 wide. Got the tank and a Eheim 2213 so far, I'm probably gonna run a second 2213 to even out the flow since the tank is so wide.
I'm using two of these fixtures:
http://www.adana-usa.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=452
Old 12-06-2011, 06:09 PM   #25
trixella
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by micr0 View Post
Maybe someone else (maybe ask Hoppy) can chime in here but I think that 72 watts over a 12 gallon tank and so close to he substrate could be setting you up for a loosing battle with algae. It may be possible if you really crank up the co2 but it seems like the amount of co2 you would have to use would make uninhabitable for fauna and wasteful of co2.
trixella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:23 PM   #26
micr0
Algae Grower

When I was choosing my lights a while back I was directed to the intensity chart on the lighting forum, and these fixtures seemed to add up to be fine. Algae was minimal before my co2 levels became inconsistent, and even now it's not that bad. I'm only worried about how it will look after being away for 3 weeks...

Here's the tank tonight. I haven't cleaned it today.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:34 PM   #27
Chunks
Algae Grower

That's a gorgeous tank
Chunks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:41 AM   #28
zenche
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

72 watts over 12G's does seem very high. i know watts/g is very outdated, but still...over 5 watts/g seems like a bad idea? maybe only run both for shorter period while keeping one on for the entire duration of your photo period?

75G - "Hanzomori"
56G - "Rise of the Agassizi"
zenche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 05:47 PM   #29
smracer31
Algae Grower

looks like your getting a pretty good current out of that power head. Ill be interested in what livestock you chose. I just added my fish to my 12 gallon long tank yesterday and had to change the flow quite a bit as i had a similar setup, but was to strong for my fish and looked to be stressing them out. They all sort of just piled up at one end of the tank.
smracer31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 01:26 PM   #30
micr0
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by smracer31 View Post
looks like your getting a pretty good current out of that power head. Ill be interested in what livestock you chose. I just added my fish to my 12 gallon long tank yesterday and had to change the flow quite a bit as i had a similar setup, but was to strong for my fish and looked to be stressing them out. They all sort of just piled up at one end of the tank.
Right now I'm leaning toward shrimp only, and I'm trying to decide between CRS, CBS and OEBT. Ideally I'd get black tigers like those currently on the SnS, but they're a bit outta my price range...for now.

The powerhead is a Koralia nano. It's actually pretty gentle. I was even thinking about moving one size up.