Stable water conditions, CO2, and hardness questions
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 08-08-2003, 01:38 AM   #1
abica
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

As I said in another thread in the general forum, Im working on a 29 blackwater setup. My water is ph 8, kh 7, and gh 16. Im debating various ways of getting the hardness out, and of course lowering the ph. But since Im only familiar with hard water setups, this is a new ballgame for me. I know the CO2 is going to lower my ph, carbonic acid and what not? But then with the hardness of my water, wont that buffer it to the point of bouncing back if the CO2 supply slacks a bit?

So then I heard peat absorbs minerals out of the water, lowering hardness. Is this true, and if so I wonder how I would ever be able to achive a stable system through fluctuations in CO2 output, water changes, etc.

Sounds like a mess to me, but people do it so it cant be THAT difficult.

Of course I could do DIY co2, no peat, and 50/50 RO/tap or maybe a higher ratio, but it would be nice to not have to pay money for water at a store...that and I dont have much money so a RO system is out of the question at this time.
abica is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2003, 01:46 AM   #2
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)

What pH level are you hoping to achieve?
I think it may be tough trying to get your pH down to some levels by using peat and DIY CO2 alone.

Mike
Old 08-08-2003, 03:56 AM   #3
anonapersona
Wannabe Guru

Go read up at the SkepticalAquairist.com about peat and blackwater extracts.
anonapersona is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2003, 04:21 PM   #4
Angel12
Algae Grower

Send a message via MSN to Angel12

with the Kh you have you could safely take the PH down to around the 7.2 mark with Co2 and then add a Peat bomb to leech tannins into the water to bring the ph down lower .. I wouldnt use artifical softners as they tend to have Phosphates in them or other chemcials wich in the long term arent very good for you plants or fish ...

Long term an Ro unit or DI unit might be a better choice that way you can reconstitue the water to the perams you want .... it is easier to add Kh and Gh to water than to take it out ....IMOH

Angel12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2003, 08:20 PM   #5
abica
Algae Grower

Well, Im figuring 7.0 would be good...dont plan on going lower than that. Really I would rather just use peat or an extract and accept whatever pH I get from that, but Im thinking CO2 would be a boon to my plants

Any word on peat's ability to chemically trap GH in its fibers or something along those lines?

The biggest concern for me is stability. If I run the tank at 7.5 and its stable, then thattl be low enough for me assuming running it at 7.0 would require daily dosing to keep it constant, then a weekend camping trip would bomb out my whole tank.

If I havent said it already in this thread, Im really only used to setups that involve high GH/KH. So this is new territory for me, and Im still learning the chemistry involved with this stuff. SO If anyone wants to give a good run-down on how these different pH lowering things work and how they relate (if theres a scientific-minded person out there with a bad case of boredom) then by all means, feel free. Ive wrapped my mind around the basics, but still working on the finer points.
Old 08-12-2003, 10:37 PM   #6
anonapersona
Wannabe Guru

You might want to park yourself at the SkepticalAquarist.com site.

WetmanNY takes the more thorough approach, so it may make your head hurt to try to digest it all. I go back and reread frequently as my ability to understand it improves. My head hurts less and less each time!
Old 08-13-2003, 09:22 PM   #7
abica
Algae Grower

Oh yeah, forgot about that link as I had to go somewhere the other day...going there now to soak some stuff up
Old 08-13-2003, 11:01 PM   #8
anonapersona
Wannabe Guru

FWIW, I hope you 'll keep posting as you work out these issues. My water is not quite as hard and a bit more buffered but I start with 8.2 PH. I can drive the pH down to 7.0 to 7.4 with DIY CO2 or a Hagen system in various tanks, but none are particularly stable, and they vary from 7.0 to 7.4 or even 7.6 by the time I cahange CO2.

I do hate the dim look of tannins in the water, had enough of that with new driftwood and I'm glad that cleared. But I am considering adding some peat to the lower levels in this next tank to see what happens. There is a whole group of aquarists who use peat and/or soil to add CO2 for plants. Low tech, no issues to solve, so they don't seem to post much here.

You shouldn't need daily dosing for anything, Unless you need that 7.0 to be rock stable. Have you considered a pressurized system with a pH controller?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.