what kind of regulator? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 08-12-2003, 05:42 PM   #16
Deuce868
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Besides, you may decide you want a controller much sooner than you think. They are worthwhile
Yea, I have a controller less setup and now keep looking at what it would take to get a solenoid and controller...It seems like it would make life a LOT easier on me. A lot fewer ph tests to get this new tank going.
Deuce868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2003, 05:51 PM   #17
Schala
Algae Grower

Heh. Yeah, I'd like a PH controller NOW, but I can't afford it. :roll:
If I plug it in, won't it cause PH shifts at night?

Also- I've been wondering. How exactly does the solenoid know when to turn off the CO2?
Old 08-12-2003, 07:00 PM   #18
Doomer
Planted Tank Obsessed

You can unplug the solenoid at night thus stopping the flow of co2 then plug it back in in the morning.

With a controller, it controls the solenoid and thus the amount of co2 going into the tank. All the solenoid knows is on and off. Only the controller "knows".
Doomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 08:19 PM   #19
Schala
Algae Grower

I see. So with the solenoid attached to the regulator, the solenoid must be plugged in for the CO2 to get to the tank? Then I manually shut it off/unplug it at night to stop the CO2?

So, then, do most people plug them into timers like their lights?
Old 08-12-2003, 09:01 PM   #20
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)

You've got it Schala! thats how it works.
If you are not running with a controller, using a timer to shut down the solenoid (and the flow of CO2) is a good idea, in my opiniom.

Mike
Old 08-12-2003, 09:50 PM   #21
Doomer
Planted Tank Obsessed

Actually, if you are using a controller, you don't need to shut down the solenoid at night. The controller "controls" the solenoid and hence the co2/ph in the tank. It will keep it at it's preset level both day and night. This is preferable as avoiding ph swings is a good idea.

Some people, not using a controller, keep their co2 running 24 hours a day. You can do this once you get the balance just right. A controller just makes it a lot easier to keep the co2 balanced.
Old 08-12-2003, 10:13 PM   #22
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

I don't understand why someone would run their CO2 at night when the plants aren't using it.
Is it just easier than shutting it off at night or using a timer on a solenoid?

Mike
Old 08-12-2003, 10:29 PM   #23
Doomer
Planted Tank Obsessed

It's important for overall stability to maintain as consistant a co2/ph level as possible. This is the benefit a controller offers.
Old 08-12-2003, 10:34 PM   #24
Schala
Algae Grower

Thanks, Momotaro.

I'll just leave it with the solenoid for a few weeks until I can afford a controller. I was going to wait a bit longer, but I guess I'll get it now.

I just got back from getting my CO2 tank. Most of the places around here were charging $80+ but I just found a place selling them for $35 and I jumped on it. I have to admit, though, I'm a little intimidated by it. All the possibilities of blowing up, etc.. :?

It says on my instruction sheet to use teflon tape on the threads of cylinder. Does that mean wrap it with the tape or what?
Old 08-13-2003, 02:19 AM   #25
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

DO NOT USE TEFLON TAPE ON THE THREADS OF THE CYLINDER!!!!!!!!!

There should be a washer between the tank and the regulator. That's it. Using teflon tape on the cylinder threads will cause you all kinds of problems. All it takes is one little piece of that tape in the regulator and you are well and truly screwed.

The chances of the tank blowing up are about the same as your winning the lottery.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 02:29 AM   #26
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

Rex is right, there is little chance of your CO2 tank "blowing up", however you should always exercise care and common sense when dealing with bottle of pressurized gas.

I hope your chances of winning the are better than the tank exploding!

Mike
Old 08-13-2003, 01:26 PM   #27
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro
I don't understand why someone would run their CO2 at night when the plants aren't using it.
Is it just easier than shutting it off at night or using a timer on a solenoid?

Mike
It's not only easier, but it's usually less stressful and will offer a smaller pH swing.
Scenario 1) You leave the CO2 on all the time and at night, with plants releasing CO2 in addition the fish and pressurized system, pH drops a few points (mine goes from 7.0 to 6.8).
Scenario 2) You turn off the CO2 at night and the 25ppm of dissolved CO2 outgases and brings your tank water to near tap water conditions by morning (mine has gone from 6.8 to 7.4 in 12 hours).

This is obviously not the case in everyone's water conditions as it depends on kH and tap water pH levels, but the pH swing is smaller the vast majority of the time when you simply leave the CO2 on all the time at a slower rate. This way it is up and ready to go in the morning.
Old 08-13-2003, 05:50 PM   #28
Schala
Algae Grower

Heh. Glad I asked before I set anything up.
It says on the instruction sheet to use teflon tape to avoid gas leakage. *shrug*

It did come with an O-ring to put between the regulator and the cylinder and that's all I need, right?

Maybe I should confirm the process of attaching it too. If I recall, it says:

- Attach the regulator to the cylinder with the O-Ring between
- Open the black knob, regulator adjusting knob, all the way. (What about the needle valve?)
- Slowly open the cylinder valve completely
- Plug in solenoid, open needle valve, turn adjustment knob until a reading appears.

Does that all sound correct?