Fluval Ebi! Updates 6/26
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 12-01-2011, 11:00 PM   #1
dragonsong93
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Fluval Ebi! Updates 6/26

6/26/2012
Current FTS:

Livestock:
Loads of CRS & CBS

Plants:
Mini marimo moss balls
Dwarf baby tears
Anubias nana mini
Saggitaria Chilensis
Frogbit
Duckweed
Some moss,
And a couple other odd plants that made their way in here

--------------------------

12/1/2011
After lots of tanks with just rocks & driftwood I'm going to try and attempt to actually have a planted tank (hornwort randomly floating around a tank doesn't count xD) and my fluval ebi came on Tuesday and I spent the rest of the day filling it with water....JEEZ! Is that stratum really DUSTY or is it just me?! Took forever to clear up and then I went and planted and messed it up again!

It's horribly bare atm, all I have is some frogbit, HC and 4 little moss balls, but I have some anubias coming in the mail and hopefully there's a trip to the store this weekend for some more plants! Plus I have a bucket of driftwood soaking for later.

Planned inhabitants are lots of CRS and some CBS mixed in. Is it safe to ship these guys to PA in December? No pet stores around here have them so I have to order online.

But....here are the pix. I can't wait to get more green and turn it into an underwater forest

The plan so far is to have the HC completely carpet the front and then the anubias in between the two rocks, with a background of some seaweed-like plant, any suggestions? One or two pieces of driftwood might also end up in here, they're pretty small too.

Last edited by dragonsong93; 06-27-2012 at 02:22 AM..
dragonsong93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2011, 11:02 PM   #2
fusiongt
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Are you injecting co2? I think it's difficult to carpet the tank without it.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:07 PM   #3
dragonsong93
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusiongt View Post
Nope, I really don't want to use co2, I've heard of people having luck with HC using excel so that's what I'm going to do, but if it doesn't work out I'll just swap it for something easier.
Old 12-02-2011, 01:01 AM   #4
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusiongt View Post
Excel should work better than CO2 in such a small tank. Excel provides organic carbon which is exactly what CO2 will provide.

Hm... but even if the plants grow out won't the middle of your tank still be bare? Hope the anubias you're getting is nice and tall then :P

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆ Twin 10G Shrimp Tanks & 20L Grow Out Tank
diwu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:47 AM   #5
dragonsong93
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwu13 View Post
Excel should work better than CO2 in such a small tank. Excel provides organic carbon which is exactly what CO2 will provide.

Hm... but even if the plants grow out won't the middle of your tank still be bare? Hope the anubias you're getting is nice and tall then :P
Kewl, so my carpet idea might work after all!

Hoping to fill the middle area with some medium sized plants, not sure what species (open for suggestions ), but ones that will make the transition from short to tall plants less drastic.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:01 AM   #6
damenblankenship
Algae Grower

I've grown HC using excel. it should work fine. IMO C02 in small tanks is a bit of a pain anyway. good luck!
damenblankenship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:06 AM   #7
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonsong93
Planned inhabitants are lots of CRS and some CBS mixed in. Is it safe to ship these guys to PA in December? No pet stores around here have them so I have to order online.
Yes it is safe to have them shipped as long as the person you're buying them from knows what they are doing. Make sure they insulate the box and provide a 72 hour heat pack. Make sure to ask questions from the seller, if they aren't answering them I would suggest switching to someone on here.

Excel will work much better on the HC if you inject it directly into the substrate instead of dumping it into the water column. I recently ordered a 9" needle and syringe combo to do the trick. I'll be uploading some photos tomorrow if you'd like to see what they look like!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonsong93
Hoping to fill the middle area with some medium sized plants, not sure what species (open for suggestions ), but ones that will make the transition from short to tall plants less drastic.
When the DW is done soaking you should lay that out first. Generally it will provide a good transition from your carpet plant to taller plants (unless you just stick the DW straight into the tank vertically haha). But if you can arrange the DW first it might be easier to help you with plant ideas. I would recommend not making a trip to the LFS for plants until you plan the scape with the DW. But you seem to be a little sick of DW :P

Old 12-03-2011, 02:58 AM   #8
dragonsong93
Algae Grower

Quote:
Yes it is safe to have them shipped as long as the person you're buying them from knows what they are doing. Make sure they insulate the box and provide a 72 hour heat pack. Make sure to ask questions from the seller, if they aren't answering them I would suggest switching to someone on here.

Excel will work much better on the HC if you inject it directly into the substrate instead of dumping it into the water column. I recently ordered a 9" needle and syringe combo to do the trick. I'll be uploading some photos tomorrow if you'd like to see what they look like!

When the DW is done soaking you should lay that out first. Generally it will provide a good transition from your carpet plant to taller plants (unless you just stick the DW straight into the tank vertically haha). But if you can arrange the DW first it might be easier to help you with plant ideas. I would recommend not making a trip to the LFS for plants until you plan the scape with the DW. But you seem to be a little sick of DW :P
K, will CRS be ok with the excel? Should I turn down the dosage to like 1/2 or so?

Yea the driftwood's been soaking for about a week and none of the pieces are sinking yet! And they're pretty small too!
Old 12-03-2011, 03:06 AM   #9
MsNemoShrimp
ღ Miss ShrimpTastic! ஐ...

PTrader: (372/100%)

In the last picture, are those mini marimo balls? They look so cute!

"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." - Eleanor Roosevelt

12G Mr. Aqua Journal - My 1st Iwagumi Rimless
17G Mr. Aqua Journal - My Shrimp Tank
RAOK Club #35 Sharing IS Caring
MsNemoShrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 03:52 AM   #10
dragonsong93
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoShrimp View Post
In the last picture, are those mini marimo balls? They look so cute!
Yup! There's four of them and none are bigger than 1/2"
Old 12-03-2011, 04:31 AM   #11
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonsong93 View Post
K, will CRS be ok with the excel? Should I turn down the dosage to like 1/2 or so?

Yea the driftwood's been soaking for about a week and none of the pieces are sinking yet! And they're pretty small too!
The moss balls are very cute :]!

CRS definitely be ok with excel. Just avoid overdosing and dumping the fertilizer on top of the shrimp! If you do inject straight into the soil you'll have no problems!

Pictures of the DW ?

Old 12-03-2011, 08:48 PM   #12
dragonsong93
Algae Grower

Quote:
The moss balls are very cute :]!

CRS definitely be ok with excel. Just avoid overdosing and dumping the fertilizer on top of the shrimp! If you do inject straight into the soil you'll have no problems!

Pictures of the DW ?
Came up with a possible planting arrangement, maybe saggitaria chilensis in the very back, or anacharis, with dwarf saggitaria around the corners before the rocks. The anubias I ordered is a dwarf so I might stick that on the driftwood or in between the rocks. Kinda want a bit of red color but don't know where or which plant to get, also would be nice to have some small more textured leaves to mix things up a bit.

And pix of the driftwood:

My favorite one:

And a fts, because the frogbit has really taken off and is sending roots everywhere. There's also a heater in there now and a couple random plant bulbs.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:03 PM   #13
airangel
Algae Grower

Watching with interest to see how you end up decorating, I'm looking for new ideas, lol. My Flora came a few days ago and I just finished adding silicone to the backing and plastic back pieces. My plants have been shipped. I should be using this time to soak the 2 bags of stratum and driftwood. Is that one of those 10w preset heaters you're using? I'm debating what to do in mine, have a 10w Marina I just picked up but reveiws are horrid on those presets...such decisions. Will keep checking back to see your progress.
airangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 09:18 PM   #14
dragonsong93
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by airangel View Post
Watching with interest to see how you end up decorating, I'm looking for new ideas, lol. My Flora came a few days ago and I just finished adding silicone to the backing and plastic back pieces. My plants have been shipped. I should be using this time to soak the 2 bags of stratum and driftwood. Is that one of those 10w preset heaters you're using? I'm debating what to do in mine, have a 10w Marina I just picked up but reveiws are horrid on those presets...such decisions. Will keep checking back to see your progress.
Yea the stratum's really dusty, I didn't know and just gave it a quick wash.....3 water changes later I could finally see the back of the tank.

The heater's been relatively good, and the tank has been at a stable 77F, although it did take a while to actually heat up. It was in a tiny bowl before (maybe 3g?) that I used to store some extra plants.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:44 PM   #15
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

Those DW pieces look really great! Will you be removing some of the rocks when you add the DW though? And the frogbit really takes off well, very nice long roots. Makes me really consider getting some.