Pool to duck/goose pond!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Ponds


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2011, 02:48 AM   #1
jostas
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (8/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Pennsylvania, United States
Posts: 209
Default

Pool to duck/goose pond!


Well, we are converting our in ground pool into a pond. We got way too busy here on the farm to close it up for the winter, and really where we are it's really only warm enough to use it for two months out of the year anyway.

Has anyone here on the forum done this before? It's a really large pool, 12ft deep at the deepest end. We're going to let our four geese and 8 ducks hang out in it. Does anyone have ideas on how we can make it a self sustaining system? TIA!
jostas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-26-2011, 04:07 PM   #2
rbarn
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 768
Default

Problem is dealing with debris.
Plumbing, pumps and filter system all need to be modified.

How much you willing to spend on it ? Willing to get in there and break concrete and run a new bottom drain system ?

I suggest researching it on Koiphen forum. They were a great help in setting up my concrete hole to be a sustainable and healthy pond.
rbarn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2011, 06:23 PM   #3
jostas
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (8/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Pennsylvania, United States
Posts: 209
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbarn View Post
Problem is dealing with debris.
Plumbing, pumps and filter system all need to be modified.

How much you willing to spend on it ? Willing to get in there and break concrete and run a new bottom drain system ?

I suggest researching it on Koiphen forum. They were a great help in setting up my concrete hole to be a sustainable and healthy pond.
It is still a fully functioning pool system with a bottom drain in the deepest end, is that able to be modified? Thanks a lot rbarn, will look into to koiphen forum.

Do you have any documentation of converting your own pool over to a healthy pond you could link me to?
jostas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2011, 02:06 AM   #4
rbarn
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 768
Default

I am just finishing a ground up install with a pool am putting in. So it was not a conversion.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/po...-koi-pond.html

You cant really reuse the exist pool bottom drain. Pond drains are bigger and specialized to keep fish out and have built in air diffusers.

This is an excellent thread on how to do this.
http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...ond-conversion

I can also get you in touch with the pond contractor I used here in Houston to help spec stuff out and give ideas.

www.wlimproducts.com has many of the special filters and poop separation tanks.

Dont cut corners and you will enjoy it much more. How about 2-3' foot koi cruising around in your "duck pond" ?
rbarn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2011, 01:37 PM   #5
jostas
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (8/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Pennsylvania, United States
Posts: 209
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbarn View Post
I am just finishing a ground up install with a pool am putting in. So it was not a conversion.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/po...-koi-pond.html

You cant really reuse the exist pool bottom drain. Pond drains are bigger and specialized to keep fish out and have built in air diffusers.

This is an excellent thread on how to do this.
http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...ond-conversion

I can also get you in touch with the pond contractor I used here in Houston to help spec stuff out and give ideas.

www.wlimproducts.com has many of the special filters and poop separation tanks.

Dont cut corners and you will enjoy it much more. How about 2-3' foot koi cruising around in your "duck pond" ?
We aren't interested in making it a koi pond. We have a vegetable/fruit farm and just want it to be a low maintenance natural pond eco system that the ducks and geese can enjoy. I guess we still need something to to filter out the poop though!
jostas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2011, 01:57 PM   #6
rbarn
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 768
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostas View Post
We aren't interested in making it a koi pond. We have a vegetable/fruit farm and just want it to be a low maintenance natural pond eco system that the ducks and geese can enjoy. I guess we still need something to to filter out the poop though!
Unless you want it to quickly become a stagnant mosquito breeding swamp you are going to have to set it up like you would a koi pond. Plenty of other kinds of critters you can put in there besides koi.

The bottom drains and settling chamber system is going to be the critical part in making it "natural eco system" in a concrete hole. Have to have circulation, and have to have a way to get debris off the bottom through a proper bottom drain.

The fewer corners you cut in the beginning with proper pumps, drains, and filters will make all the difference down the road with maintenance issues.

Again its all about time and budget. Google "natural swimming ponds" too for other "sustainable backyard pond" ideas.
rbarn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2011, 02:00 AM   #7
jostas
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (8/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Pennsylvania, United States
Posts: 209
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbarn View Post
Unless you want it to quickly become a stagnant mosquito breeding swamp you are going to have to set it up like you would a koi pond. Plenty of other kinds of critters you can put in there besides koi.

The bottom drains and settling chamber system is going to be the critical part in making it "natural eco system" in a concrete hole. Have to have circulation, and have to have a way to get debris off the bottom through a proper bottom drain.

The fewer corners you cut in the beginning with proper pumps, drains, and filters will make all the difference down the road with maintenance issues.

Again its all about time and budget. Google "natural swimming ponds" too for other "sustainable backyard pond" ideas.
thanks for the info rbarn
jostas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012