Earthquake Proofing
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > California

Old 05-02-2005, 04:50 AM   #1
toby
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Earthquake Proofing

I was wondering what measures have been taken in making an aquarium earthquake safe.

any advice or input would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
toby
toby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2005, 06:07 AM   #2
John P.
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

When my tank was in my office I put a long screw through a back suport of the stand into a stud in the wall.
Old 05-02-2005, 05:43 PM   #3
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)

One thing I recommend would be a cover glass. Keeps stuff dryer in case.

Funny thing... I managed to break two of my glasses once, thanks to the hood falling down. While getting replacements from the glass shop, the tank was uncovered. Of couse, Earthquake hit. There was some destruction a little South of here (Paso Robles), nothing here but seeing a wave building up and rolling back and forth in my 100 gal tank was quite impressive.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 03:02 AM   #4
Jay Why
Algae Grower

Funny I was just thinking about this last night. I noticed my 20gal has a tilt to
it, just enough that I got paranoid an earthquake might create just enough
motion to tip it over...

I was thinking that a sturdy strip could wrap around the top of the tank and be bolted into the wall behind it. It could be painted black to blend with the
tank and you wouldn't even notice it.

I've only been in Cali for 2 years and experienced 1 quake, but man are the fun!
Old 05-03-2005, 03:36 AM   #5
bharada
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

In '89 I was living in a 2nd floor condo (2 years old so up to code) in Fremont. I had a 70g tall tank and when the Loma Prieta quake hit the first thing I did was try to brace the tank with my shoulder. Luckily the quake had a lateral movement because if it had rocked the other way I would have been paying dearly for my stupidity.

To answer your question, I really don't know that you can do a whole lot short of constructing your tank out of reinforced concrete with a thick Lexan viewing panel. You can anchor the stand, but the tank needs to be able to move or else it'll twist and crack.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:40 AM   #6
toby
Algae Grower

hello,
These seem like some pretty good Ideas.

I was thinking about using strips, chords, ets... to attach the tank to the wall.
I was also thinking of attaching the stand to the wall and then using a strip, attach the tank to the stand.
Breaking glass is another worry of mine, since most of my tanks are glass, but I don't know of any method to prevent this.
I am planning a trip to my LFS, maybe they'll have some advice.

I was never around for any major earthquake, the last one I felt was about four years ago, it felt as if someone turned the bass up on a stereo system.

thanks,
Elaine
toby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 03:57 AM   #7
Lotus
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to Lotus Send a message via Yahoo to Lotus

Following today's 5.6 earthquake here in the Palm Springs area (only 20 miles from the epicenter), I really started to worry. The larger tanks definitely had me panicking. Luckily we were around to make sure everything was OK. Later, on a trip to Lowes, I saw they have various strap kits made for TVs and bookcases, which would probably work. I was reading on the krib a while back, and some mentioned making sure the stand has a lip and that acrylic tanks will stand up better.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 03:34 AM   #8
aquaphish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (53/98%)

I am suprised that so many have worries of the water comming out. No matter If you have a glass top if the quake is strong enough the water will most likely dislodge the top and the water will still come out.

Thinking that water will be splashed out of the tank no mater what actions are taken short of placing a glass top with some kind of lock attached so the splashing water will not dislodge it, we should think in the line of electrical protection. As well as protection from a CO2 tank tipping over and breaking the regulator off. Suffocation for all in the room.

Just the day before the earthquake I finally got some velcro strapping and attached it to the inside of the cabinet and secured my CO2 tank to the cabinet.

During the time I was setting up my tank I was also having some electrical work done on the house. I had the electrician replace the regular electrical inlet I use for the tank equipment with one of those with that will cut off the electricity to that outlet if there is an overload or short in the system. If the water is splashed out and gets on the electrical wiring and causes a short the outlet will be shutoff.