Melting pot of a shrimp tank!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 11-22-2011, 04:47 AM   #1
jdm68
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Talking

Melting pot of a shrimp tank!

I've been keeping RCS in a 10g with about 6 Ghost shrimp, and decided I wanted to have some more variety. So yesterday I picked up a Bamboo shrimp, and boy are they cool! And HUUUUGE! Today I went to see if I could find a male(I have a female) and there were no Bamboos at all. Instead I picked up 3 Amanos(all they had) and these are cool too. One thing I notice about the new guys is how differently they move. If you consider Ghost and RC shrimp to be swimmers who can walk, then the Amanos and the Bamboos are like runners who can swim. They don't do that floating around, pleopods flapping thing the ghosts and RCS do, they kind of scurry around, almost like a bug. These are so far the only shrimp I've kept, so I don't know how these compare to others.
What different behaviors have people noticed with their own different types of shrimp?
jdm68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2011, 05:06 AM   #2
blacksheep998
Planted Member

I've kept a few different breeds of shrimp. RCS, yellows, blue pearls and CRS/CBS.

I gave my RCS away to a friend who wanted to get into the hobby this spring, but they were by far the most laid back. They didn't fight over food, weren't that active, and spent most of their time hiding. I only saw them from time to time, and they would just lazily pick at the substrate.

I lost the yellow shrimp to a tank crash, so don't have them anymore. But them and the blue pearls that I still have are more active and will fight over food, though not that aggressively. I see them swimming around the tank fairly often.

My CRS/CBS group on the other hand is brutal. The feeding frenzies when I drop a food pellet into the tank are unreal and there's always dozens of them all over the glass of the tank, they never sit still.

One other thing though, I wouldn't go too nuts trying to find a mate for your bamboo shrimp as they won't breed in freshwater. The young need brackish to fill strength salt water to mature. Amanos are the same way and cannot breed unless you have a saltwater tank set up for the young.
blacksheep998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:42 PM   #3
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

Wow, blacksheep998! Your experiences are almost the exact opposite of many people! I find the neocaridina species (RCS, yellow, snowball) all are much more aggressive than CBS, CRS, or others of that sort. The neocaridina will bully and outcomplete and outbreed the crystals time and time again. I find amano's to be food bullies as well.

As for swimming behaviour. I have shrimp only tanks and I find the RCS to be pretty lazy (when its not feeding time) and just relax and graze. While my tigers (not OEBT haha) will swim around, stop to graze for maybe 5 mins, then swim around more.
diwu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:49 PM   #4
TheJadeShrimp
Planted Tank Enthusiast

My cherry shrimp are laid back. Both my Ghost Shrimp and Amano Shrimp are laid back as well. Then I feed them or they find something interesting and the fight is on.
I have also noticed Amano shrimp love floating plants. I have a fake decor tank -gasp- with little fake floating plants. And they ride around on them.
Just my animals: 0.2 Cornsnakes, 0.2 Bearded Dragons, 1.0 Water Dragon, 0.2.1 Crested Geckos, 1.0 Tiger Salamander, 2.0 Anoles, 0.0.2 Red Eared Slider Turtles, 0.0.1 Map Turtle, 0.0.1 Hermit Crabs, 1.0 Hamster, 1.0 Rabbit, 0.1 Horses, 2.2 Dogs, 0.2 Cats, Chickens, Ducks, Oscar Tank, Planted Bowl, 2x 10 Gallon, 2x 0.5 Gallon, 5 Gallon, and Planted 25 Gallon Tank....Is that it?
TheJadeShrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:36 PM   #5
TactusMortus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

I love my bamboo shrimp. They are lazy little guys though they just chill right there in front of my powerhead chowing down 24-7.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:13 PM   #6
blacksheep998
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwu13 View Post
Wow, blacksheep998! Your experiences are almost the exact opposite of many people! I find the neocaridina species (RCS, yellow, snowball) all are much more aggressive than CBS, CRS, or others of that sort. The neocaridina will bully and outcomplete and outbreed the crystals time and time again.
My crystals seem to be weirdos in every respect. They breed like mad in water with a pH that's unstable and swings higher than 7.0 on a daily basis, and they're total bullies.

I mentioned my yellow shrimp tank crash above, when that happened I had a handful of male yellows left but no females. I didn't intend to buy any more of them so considered the colony 'dead' and moved the remainders into my crystal shrimp tank to live out their days.

The crystals abused them like you wouldn't believe. I don't think I ever saw the yellows get into the feeding frenzies. A few times I saw them try but were attacked by the CRS and chased away. Even when there was no food, I saw CRS chase the yellows a few times, it looked like when a shrimp is dying and the others start going after it, knowing it's going to be food soon. But these were healthy yellows.

There's an old video of feeding time on youtube here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r61KYH1J5iQ It might not look too wild but keep in mind that was back when I only had about 25 adult CRS/CBS and maybe 100 young. Now I have well over 200 adults and probably another 200+ babies. I haven't taken any videos of them eating lately but here's a picture of what I call 'the shrimp pile'. Even in the still image you can see how much activity is going on from how much motion blur there is.

Anyway, sorry to hijack the thread. Just pointing out that there can be huge differences in behavior between colonies of shrimp, even in the same breed.
blacksheep998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 03:26 PM   #7
NightshadeF1
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Dam that's a nice "pile" ya got there
Old 11-23-2011, 03:52 PM   #8
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

Blacksheep998, very nice CRS. I'd be willing to buy some of those aggressive CRS/CBS if you ever decide to sell. Especially hardy AND aggressive. They'd fit perfectly in with my yellows and reds! My mom lives in NJ too
diwu13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amano shrimp, bamboo shrimp, ghost shrimp, rcs, sasquatch