Canister Filter on Riparium
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Sponsors > Riparium Supply

Old 11-19-2011, 11:33 PM   #1
trixella
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)

Canister Filter on Riparium

I was going to ask this in the equipment section but then I thought this might be a good place. I have a riparium that's 24 inches high, currently I have a couple of small internal filters in it (about 20 gallons of water) but was thinking about getting a canister filter for it instead. I have no experience with canisters and was looking on Youtube... it appears that the output may not be long enough to fit a riparium (my water level is about 9 inches below the top of the aquarium)... is that correct? Is there a solution for that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2011, 02:16 AM   #2
RipariumGuy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Hello trixella!

There are definitely solutions. To start, what brand and model filter do you have/will you be getting? Some filters shold have stock input/ouputs that are long enough. If not, options for what can be done kind of depend on what canister we are talking about.

If it is a Fluval, Hydrophyte (a member here, and owner of Riparium Supply) has done some modification to his. I am sure he will chime in pretty soon here.

If it is an EHEIM, I believe that they sell some cheap input/outputs that are much longer and better than the stock ones. Here is a link to them if you want:http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?pcatid=9606 Those may work.
Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
Old 11-20-2011, 02:43 AM   #3
trixella
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)

I'm not real sure which kind I will get if I get one. I would like whatever I get to have black tubing so it will blend in with the background. I don't care for the green or white tubing I see in some peoples aquariums. Do you know anything about the Rena's? Or have a suggesting on a brand?
Old 12-08-2011, 02:26 PM   #4
Centromochlus
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (116/100%)

Making DIY PVC inflow and outflow pipes is the best way to go, IMO. Drop by your local home improvement store and be creative. Get some PVC, connectors, appropriately-sized hose fittings, PVC cement, and hose clamps. You can use a drill to create the holes in the inflow pipe.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:04 AM   #5
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Please don't decide by the color of the hose. You can get black vinyl hose at a HomeDepot.

Make your decision based on quality & how user friendly the filter is.