What is this Black Algae? So sick of it! - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 11-10-2011, 11:20 PM   #46
mrchach
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

man i don't have this anymore but used to have it...

This is the be all end all worst algae i have encountered
i had it growing on a rock it mostly covered the rock in the spotty fashion you see in the picture when i removed the rock i couldn't rub that stuff off, only scrape! i think it comes from space....
SunSun Pimp #39
mrchach is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2011, 05:16 PM   #47
esworp
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

sooo... did the lab report say anything? :]
Old 11-13-2011, 10:50 AM   #48
Bannik
Planted Member

I think dark cobra nailed the issue in his first post. You have something limiting the growth, most likely a nutrient or CO2 deficiency. Increasing the CO2 and flow might fix it. However I'm thinking the most likely cause is insufficient amounts of one of the macro ferts like potassium or phosphate.

The easiest fix is to continue your dosing regimen with 50% water changes every week. Pinch off any leaves already affected by the BBA so your plants can focus on healthy new growth and reduce your photo period by 2-3 hours. Wait a month and if the BBA comes back you know it is a CO2/flow issue. If it doesn't come back increase your photo period to what it was and try increasing the dosage of each of the macros until you find out which you weren't dosing enough of.
Bannik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2011, 06:37 PM   #49
esworp
Planted Member

Urg. CO2 is not at issue in my tank, nor is flow. I dose EI and do greater-than-50% water changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bannik View Post
I think dark cobra nailed the issue in his first post. You have something limiting the growth, most likely a nutrient or CO2 deficiency. Increasing the CO2 and flow might fix it. However I'm thinking the most likely cause is insufficient amounts of one of the macro ferts like potassium or phosphate.

The easiest fix is to continue your dosing regimen with 50% water changes every week. Pinch off any leaves already affected by the BBA so your plants can focus on healthy new growth and reduce your photo period by 2-3 hours. Wait a month and if the BBA comes back you know it is a CO2/flow issue. If it doesn't come back increase your photo period to what it was and try increasing the dosage of each of the macros until you find out which you weren't dosing enough of.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:48 PM   #50
takadi
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

How established is your tank? Sometimes algae is just a symptom of a transition and having plants flourishing and the tank stabilized is the only way to reduce algae. Excel also helps a ton
takadi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2011, 10:05 PM   #51
esworp
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by takadi View Post
How established is your tank? Sometimes algae is just a symptom of a transition and having plants flourishing and the tank stabilized is the only way to reduce algae. Excel also helps a ton

it's /well/ established. almost a year of ongoing pruning.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:37 PM   #52
IsNull
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

From the dead... anyone ever get a handle on this stuff. I'm facing this in my tank and it's driving me nuts. I've got an chinese algae eater in there, but he doesn't seem to be interested. It's killing my plants.

I've tried upping my flow and increased surface ripple, upping my CO2, I've got relatively high light output for ~6 hours a day. In the last week I started upping my KNO3 from EI dosing and I don't see much difference. I'm about to bump up my KH2P04 too. My plant growth seems to have started stagnating just out of the blue.

90% of the floor is carpeted plants now and I suck a fair amount of dead material from it when I do my weekly 50% water change.

I'm thinking of adding some Zebra Nerite snails and maybe some shrimp. Don't know much about handling shrimp so I'm a little gun shy on those.
IsNull is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2014, 05:38 PM   #53
OAli
Algae Grower

I have rcs and amanos, neither of them touch the stuff, I am currently reducing my lighting and moved my hob filter from the corner of the tank to the middle. That seemed to help a little.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
OAli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2014, 11:30 PM   #54
HUNTER
Wannabe Guru

It's just difficult to pinpoint what really causing this algaes growth, it's all assumption. I'm tired of it myself, I might just end up with hardscape and no plants
HUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2014, 10:05 PM   #55
dewalltheway
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (134/99%)

I am still dealing with this issue but it seems to be not as bad except of my slow growers. I found with keeping up on water changes and keeping my filters clean has helped but has not gotten rid of it. You will see in the picture below the leaves that are destroyed by it, the leaves that are getting it and the new growth.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.